Sign in to follow this  
warlordgarou

Pico or micro tank games

I'm setting up a game for a charity event this fall, and I want to run a WWII tank game.  My criteria for the game are:

1 model = 1 vehicle

Scale is either micro armor (1/285) or pico (1/600).  We want to play on a 4' x 8' surface, and have a decent number of tanks on the board at once.

Emphasis on tanks/vehicles.  Infantry and air would be nice, but I can paint tanks quicker.

Range, coherency, movement should all "look right".  (Anyone who has seen the parking lot deployment of Soviet tanks in Team Yankee knows what I mean)

Simple enough to teach quickly and be played at 3 am (all-night event)

Any suggestions?

Given your criteria, I'd look at "What a Tanker!"  rules by Two Fat Lardies.

Fast and fun, and doesn't require a lot of heavy thinking on player's part. 

You should be able to find lots of reviews and demo videos.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 1

I don't know if it would be helpful in this particular instance, but I know of a few people who play FoW/Team Yankee with everything the same but using 6mm GHQ models.  This seems to work just fine, and alleviates the clustering/parking lot issues.  If the players are already familiar with those rules then this might work.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I don't know if it would be helpful in this particular instance, but I know of a few people who play FoW/Team Yankee with everything the same but using 6mm GHQ models.  This seems to work just fine, and alleviates the clustering/parking lot issues.  If the players are already familiar with those rules then this might work.  

As a matter of fact, this is something I do...

Damon.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Lars Porsenna said:

As a matter of fact, this is something I do...

Damon.

How do you base your infantry?  I'd like to try it out but I couldn't figure out the best way to mount teams.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

How do you base your infantry?  I'd like to try it out but I couldn't figure out the best way to mount teams.

Exactly the same as in FoW. When I play it, I don't change anything & keep the same ranges as 15mm. the effect is mainly visual. Plus 6mm figures on 15mm basing looks more realistic than the crowded 15mm scheme FoW uses now. 

Damon.

• Like 2