Sirithiliel

Skeleton Dragon (Bones 4)

9 minutes ago, Corporea said:

Fantastic work with the osl! It’s looking awesome!

Any critique on how to make it better? You are the master of OSL

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

Any critique on how to make it better?

is the book your light source? if so, paint it mostly white and put the yellow only the sides of the pages and part of the plinth as cast color. the brightest point for osl needs to be the light source, so I'd glaze over the white areas on the bones and the figure as they may not be quite as bright as the book. Remember that light is a sphere and as it expands, the light dims and lessens.  I see where you've put the shadow behind him- that helps sell the effect of the lights direction. but there may be a bit of reflected light a little closer to him- not yellow, but the mauve color.  Is this a spell effect where the bones are glowing instead? Right now the front reads oddly because the bones glow but the surrounding ground is not as lit, which would not make sense for the flow of light- since it travels in a straight line. It makes it look like the light is jumping.  I'd probably pick the book as the source and carry the light effect to the ground almost all the way behind the book, into that mauve range as you get behind the book.  It would still cast some light behind it. 

324480638_IMG_20190914_112457.thumb.jpg.f368cab673799a6b00f0d126f186f934(2).jpg.c7fea24e9c45ff8cfdc21f72481b7d49.jpg

Here's a color saturation removed photo of the mini.  See how the book and the light on the ground in 2 lines are fairly equal in saturation?  Cast light is not as bright as the source.  The way we manage this is to glaze over the cast light with color and remove some of the light reflected to our eyes, lowering the value. Does that make sense? Now, you'll be thinking wait! But then it won't be as bright, right? It won't look lighter than the rest of the mini!  The secret is both in using light AND in using darker shadow/lower value to contrast.  It's frustrating, and I've been there with nice happy colors and had to darken them all to better sell the light effect. This means using some dark, almost black on the parts behind the mini, especially if they are directly behind the cast light, like you have behind him. He can still have some "ambient light" allowing his bones to be highlighted, but see if you can find some areas to darken. this will help sell the effect. I think the main thing is playing with where you want the light on the ground and that will help sell the light effect.

Image result for candle light source renaissance painting

See in this Matchmaker painting, how the guy is completely dark? The light right next to him renders only a few highlights at his edges.  Now, areas further away will be more subject to ambient light, so you don't have to kill the lovely purple bones completely.  Just in a few areas.

:)

Sorry, that's a lot.  But it really is looking spectacular and I love the colors soooo much!  Keep up the great work!

• Like 11

yes, the book is intended to be the light source. I'll see what i can do to apply what you say

so sounds like dull down the highlights on the dragon and ground, and also bring in the pink color i've been using into the ground around the necromancer? and make the book white in the center

how would you do the ribbon on the book? i'm puzzling over how the ribbon would affect it

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 2

Alright tried to add more of the colors around the base

Also added green stuff tentacles since the necromancer refuses to pin securely

IMG_20190916_140026.jpg

IMG_20190916_140032.jpg

IMG_20190916_140041.jpg

IMG_20190916_140049.jpg

• Like 17

so sorry for the delay- work has been busy. I didn't mean to keep you unanswered!

yes! It's looking great!  You've done a good job making the book the brightest point. If you want, push the light source just a bit near the book- maybe mix some yellow and white, not quite as bright. alternatively, dim the light on the dragon's face/tail. that will make it look like it is gradually dimming as it expands.

otherwise it looks fantastic!  I showed it to one of my lighting design friends and she thought it made sense from a light standpoint!  Awesome!!

• Like 5

Good to know, thank you. I will try to bring in the highlights a bit 

Cannot sleep tonight, so watching dark crystal series and painting in bed

IMG_20190929_225042.jpg

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Skek Mal approves of your choice of activities.

Glad he approves, he is the coolest of the bunch. skekso is second coolest

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 1

Updated pics , including the dark side. Been trying to use void blue, nightmare black and dragon clack to give the dark side some highlights and shading

IMG_20190930_085720.jpg

IMG_20190930_085741.jpg

IMG_20190930_085800.jpg

IMG_20190930_085809.jpg

IMG_20190930_085816.jpg

IMG_20190930_085901.jpg

IMG_20190930_085910.jpg

IMG_20190930_085922.jpg

IMG_20190930_085934.jpg

IMG_20190930_085937.jpg

IMG_20190930_085941.jpg

• Like 9

This is looking really good. Excellent composition so far, and that book really looks like it is glowing in that mysterious Pulp Fiction briefcase kind of way.

• Like 1

Woouw!! 

If I should give some critiq, I think some of the parts very close to the book, should be highlighted slightly more as the book seems to glow quite strong.. But Im deffently not the expert here.