Sign in to follow this  
Darsc Zacal

Stuff I learned watching Reaper Live #40

You can’t take a mold made for regular Bones plastic to make a Bones Black mini. 

Each plastic type has different requirements for their molds.

This chef mini will be given for free if you’re staying at the official Reapercon hotel and your name is on the room registration as a guest.

B9D259AA-BE78-458E-9CAE-2046C2E1A79E.jpeg.7fe71be7da9414471b03dc395ae5dd20.jpeg

F6F84166-0E7D-442D-865B-8F155110B5E1.jpeg.484a10db8da9e6267ef5ecc93f598640.jpeg

This catdragon will be given for free if you have a certain card completely stamped at various retailers booths.0B7C07C5-56B8-4F9E-9D46-27419ACF5164.jpeg.a3b4406a32e485e415b7244450c49bca.jpeg

Another Reapercon mini.

To be honest I’ve forgotten the details on how to get him.

E01FC1C4-96F0-48E8-9FC3-D36FBDBE9277.jpeg.25d128bcaab321ad9e72909d3be04f03.jpeg

This years Reapercon Mousling. Free in the swag bag.

It should also be noted that all the above minis will be available to buy at the online store.

There is a Big change coming to the Mouslings though.

Going forward, future Mouslings will be made larger than they have in the past.

See the example photo below.

D4DEA3A0-79F3-4549-87B9-887334DBA188.jpeg.40502370aad6986e8560b5d1f7527de5.jpeg

Last thing shown was a Bones V preview of a Zombie Giant about the same height as the Bones 4 Stone Giants.

65C618F3-C4C0-428C-9584-F788AE3AA0FC.jpeg.7a44ac9f73c2f6557e5fb65b139e3a36.jpeg

Note that the vultures are removable.

Please post if there’s something I’ve missed or forgotten.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Yay! Catdragon!  Thank you Julie! 

What was the chibi iconics "hashtag free" comment all about? 

And poo on the larger mouslings. Small is what makes them cute. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, Inarah said:

The chibi adventurers were the freebie giveaway this time.  The "#free" is people signing up for said draw, and what triggers your entry into the draw.  That's also what the "big" and "small" comments are related to, except it was a poll for which people preferred - the larger mouslings, or the standard size. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darsc Zacal said:

0B7C07C5-56B8-4F9E-9D46-27419ACF5164.jpeg.a3b4406a32e485e415b7244450c49bca.jpeg

Another Reapercon mini.

To be honest I’ve forgotten the details on how to get him.

That's the Dungeon Dweller mini that will be in the swag bag.  I'm rather liking it!

EDIT: there will be a slot and tab base like all the other Dungeon Dwellers.

Edited by LittleBluberry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, Inarah said:

When you watch ReaperLive when it’s actually live on Twitch and you enter #free in the live comments, you’re entered into a draw at the end of the show for whatever Reaper is giving away.

This week it was the Chibis set from Bones 4.

The thing that bothers me about the catdragon is that I was under the understanding that it was wanted by people requesting it as an adversary to the mouslings. That’s what I was wanting.

It just doesn’t seem that imposing when it’s so small. Especially so now that the Mouslings are getting bigger.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Inarah said:

At last month's painting group, I didn't get the impression that Gene just wanted to scale up the same sculpts, even though that was sort of what Ron was suggesting today. What I understood him to be asking about then was something more anthropomorphic ... more toward what Dark Sword does, though probably with a different esthetic.

Maybe the direction has changed, maybe that's still the direction and it just didn't come across today, or maybe I just didn't understand what Gene was saying last month.

Whichever, I definitely don't like the same mouseling figures as always, just scaled up to the height of human figures, at least when they're anywhere near 35mm human figures.

• Like 4

That Zombie Giant is awesome!

I might have need for that, I don't know why, but I think I do..

• Like 4

I feel like maybe there could be room for a larger discussion about the mouseling direction than a Twitch poll, but then I also got the impression that there had already been a decision mostly made.  Fortunately I have no strong opinions on mouselings.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

I feel like maybe there could be room for a larger discussion about the mouseling direction than a Twitch poll, but then I also got the impression that there had already been a decision mostly made.  Fortunately I have no strong opinions on mouselings.  

Gene has been sculpting mouslings for close to ten years now. Maybe he felt it was time for a Change? Maybe the larger size will allow him to put in more details?

Making them bigger puts them on a similar footing to the chibis Reaper puts out. Maybe they feel they’ll sell better in a similar size? I really don’t know.

My first online order with Reaper included some mouslings. That was close to 9 years ago.

• Like 3

I have to admit (and I said this on the unofficial discord too) that I voted for big mouselings (micelings?) primarily on the basis that as I get older my eyesight is getting noticeably weaker.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why do they go out of their way to hide this stuff? Very sad to see the demise of the mouslings, they were one of the main reasons I started buying Reaper stuff in the first place.

I agree that the smaller mouslings are cute, and that whimsical nature was a lot of the original draw.  It will be missed.  But I also don't think the larger models will subtract out that quality.  I actually believe the larger real estate will allow Gene to sculpt in a lot more character.  This will be better in the long run.

I also believe the pragmatic side of this change is that the larger models will accommodate the Bones material better.  As the industry continues to advance with 3d sculpting, 3d printing, and various plastics, a larger model is just better suited to this combination.  I am not knocking these technologies; it's the realistic and logical move.  But I also love my nostalgia.

I also think Reaper is missing a huge opportunity with mouslings in general.  They have always been niche models brought out for holidays, swag, and special projects.  Spin up a bit of background story with new characters and adversaries, and I think that mouslings could be a completely new product line.

Edited by Clearman
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

F6F84166-0E7D-442D-865B-8F155110B5E1.jpeg.484a10db8da9e6267ef5ecc93f598640.jpeg

This catdragon will be given for free if you have a certain card completely stamped at various

Ron seemed to hint there was a good chance this figure might make its way into Bones 5 as well...

And Ron seemed decidedly set against any thoughts of making it bigger... :(

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Sad 5

11 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

When you watch ReaperLive when it’s actually live on Twitch and you enter #free in the live comments, you’re entered into a draw at the end of the show for whatever Reaper is giving away.

This week it was the Chibis set from Bones 4.

Ah, totally did not get that from all of Ron's rambling and mumbling.  I got 2 sets in the KS anyway. ::P:

It just doesn’t seem that imposing when it’s so small. Especially so now that the Mouslings are getting bigger.

Maybe we can call it a kitten-dragon.  I think the real power lies in convincing Julie Guthrie that WE want a bigger cat dragon. 

9 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Gene has been sculpting mouslings for close to ten years now. Maybe he felt it was time for a Change? Maybe the larger size will allow him to put in more details?

In a class with Gene about the time mouslings got popular he lamented that he was going to be stuck doing them for the rest of his career.  Maybe he does want a change. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 3