So I kept trying to paint minis using rosy skin as my base coat. Is it just me, or does that paint always behave oddly no matter how new/thinned it is?

I'm switching to olive skin tried for my reapercon vignette, but I'd rather not have all of my minis for reapercon have the same skin tone...

Anyone have recommendations for working with rosy skin?

I normally prime with white, then use Rosy Shadow and then the Rosy Skin and Highlights.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

So I kept trying to paint minis using rosy skin as my base coat. Is it just me, or does that paint always behave oddly no matter how new/thinned it is?

I'm switching to olive skin tried for my reapercon vignette, but I'd rather not have all of my minis for reapercon have the same skin tone...

Don't. I'll sometimes use Rosy Shadow to complement other skin tone sets. The Rosy Skin always ends up grainy and yucky. It is one of my least favorite bottles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Tanned Flesh with a targeted glaze of Clear Magenta.

• Like 2

Lessons for us all.

I avoid the rosy skin triad as it has always come out looking like skin on Heidi in the Alps on a summer day ... glowing like a forge.

3473-blushed_cheeks-1296x728-slide1.jpg

64004e74a3ace2f4fe30399c6c578226.jpg

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I pretty much never use my Rosy Skin paint.  IIRC it was stated that the triad was intended for painting red heads, but I found I didn't like the triad.  The Rosy Shadow is a useful paint if you combine it with the Fair Skin Triad.  It will make your shadows more lifelike than using the Fair Skin Shadow IMO.

• Like 2

I have no issues with that paint becoming grainy.

I also do combine it sometimes with other skin sets.

• Like 1

I took a class with David Powell (Bailey03 on here) and Rosy skin and rosy shadow are a couple of his go to skin colors. Link to one of his wips using it: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79194-kingdom-death-white-speaker/

I definitely liked the results using his mix on a dwarf I started in his class. Here is the head I painted in the class:

74563A1C-21AE-4A29-9147-2E05535BA8F0.jpeg.b4148a3a55f2b90faabf725929228c60.jpegJ

-Mike

edit- I don’t believe he uses the rosy highlight from the triad though. 

Edited by KruleBear
  • Like 3

I haven't had consistency/texture issues with that paint that I ever recall. If you've only used one bottle of it, it might be worth checking another bottle if you have the opportunity (at ReaperCon, if a friend has another bottle, something like that.) If you end up having a bad bottle, you can ask for a replacement.

Personally, I would rarely use it as a basecoat/midtone. More commonly I'd mix it 50/50 with Tanned Skin or Tanned Shadow as a starting point and then use Rosy Shadow as a shade. I rarely use Rosy HL. I prefer a bit of a yellow tone in my skin highlight colours for a few different reasons, so my go-to skin HL is Bright Skin HL, though I customize it sometimes. I bring red tones into select areas of the face through glazes.

But there's a lot of personal preference and style that can go into that kind of thing. I think Derek Schubert uses the Rosy skin triad a lot (IIRC it partly came to be at his request), and he's got some pretty spiffy looking figures, so it works with his style.

• Like 7