Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
NyarlaBcn

Dance of Death slow decay

Recommended Posts

Weird way to phrase it. I'm not sure - not a native speaker! - about how to describe it: its just the pose of the upper dragon, after a couple months of being glued in place & painted, is starting to get... deformed. 

Before, as its meant to be, both dragons were facing each other. Now, due I suppose to the weight of the wing and being the support poijt as thin as the tail is, its slowly bending and nowadays looks at the base. I don't know if after some more time it will continue to bend or what. 

I could just cancel the wing's weight by placing something under I guess, but this is an exposition piece, I would prefer to avoid it. 

Any solution, or has anyone here faced the same issue? How could I re-bend it in place (heat maybe, with a blowdrier? But... will it mess with the paint?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't purchase DoD so I can't speak directly to your issue, but Bones collapsing under their own weight is a known issue with some figures.  The usual fixes are to make a support, figure out a way to make an additional point of contact for the figure if not using a support, or internally reinforce the weak area by inserting a wire.

 

I have softened Bones without destroying the paint.  A hairdrier could work if you are careful.  I think the harder part would be setting by dunking in cold water, but a bucket might work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The materials used for Bones since the fourth Kickstarter is much improved over earlier iterations, but it is still flexible and some models just can't support their own weight. Here's what I did with the Jabberwock to deal with this problem: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/63873-so-rested-he-by-the-tumtum-tree-89016-jabberwock/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ultrasquid: Yeah, I had to do some "invasive surgery" for my Jabberwock as well, drilling into the legs and inserting wire rods in a couple of places (and trying to disguise the exposed section of one of the rods inside a giant mushroom made from epoxy putty).  I love the model, but some of those really dynamic poses just don't work well with "bendy" plastic (without a great deal of reinforcement, that is).

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...