Thanks!

Progress:-

vaOr7Ls.jpg

Finally made a start to his cape.

Magic Blue base, then a Blue Wash which didn't work (I'm pretty sure it's gone manky) and then a Black Wash, which also didn't work that well.

One day I'll finally accept washes just don't work on everything. 

• Like 13

Xzmrnvs.jpg

Gave the cape a general tidy up, then I shaded it down with 1:2:1 Magic Blue/Stormy Blue/Pure Black (I struggled to get it dark enough) and highlighted up with 1:1 Magic Blue/Off-white, then I glazed it with some thinned Magic Blue.

Finally I did the trim in Polished Gold.

Got a few more bits to tidy now, but that's another bit almost done.

• Like 13

Thanks!

The colours are the one thing I'm completely happy with so far.

zKujCoE.jpg

With one final fusion, the King achieves his ultimate form!

That's a really impractical outfit for someone who lives under the sea.

• Like 10

skoEdhv.jpg

Made a start on his back banner, the centre embalm is Brassy Brass, with Bronze spiky bits and 1:1 Ochre Yellow/Iraqi Sand fan bits, then given an all-over Brown Wash.

MpPPfnp.jpg

Also made a start on the ruins bit, another Brassy Brass embalm, the rest is Stone Grey with a Black Wash.

• Like 11

Thanks guys!

23 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Is that a Cthulhu style emblem in the ruins?  Great progress.  This is such an interesting model!

Well it's certainly some sort of angry squid-faced dude.

PYGrJFg.jpg

Gave his back banner a general tidy.

8RpsYYH.jpg

Gave the ruins drybrushes of Ghost Grey and Olive Green, then gave it barnacles (Iraqi Sand with a Sepia Wash) and a bit of coral (1:1 Squid Pink/Off-white with a Sepia Wash).

And with that, the painting is (finally) done!

Just the base to go, got to work out a way to suggest sea floor.

• Like 9

Sea floor.

I used Vallejo Desert Sand Paste and this works pretty well as a seafloor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

On 9/20/2019 at 8:32 PM, Disciple of Sakura said:

You could get some cheap plastic plant fronds from the aquarium section of a local pet store

I think I would've gone this route if I had more underwater dudes to paint, but I didn't want to get stuck with a leftover pile of plastic plants.

Instead, I dug through my collection of rarely used basing stuff:-

JaCJYez.jpg

My little tub of lichen looked vaguely plant-like when stretched out, so I glued some to the base and the fish to get it to stand up.

Dob't know how long it'll be before it all flops over, but it's looking good so far.

Just got to tidy the rim and it's done.

• Like 11

Took far longer to paint the rim than it should have, but he is done:-

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/88294-volturnos-king-of-the-sea-elves/

I'm going to call this thread a partial success, I'm still struggling to paint every day and I'm still fighting with my brain about this whole hobby thing, but I think this is the longest I've stuck working on a mini without getting fed up and shoving it into "The Cupboard of Unfinished Things", so definitely a step in the right direction. 

• Like 4