I wasn't planning on ever doing any more Work In Progress threads (The number of threads I've abandoned outnumber my finished threads by a pretty ridiculous amount at this point), but I'm trying to get back into the habit of painting every day and my brain is being a real jerk about it (he'd be a lot happier if I gave up on this whole painting nonsense and just stared mindlessly at a screen all day).

So the idea is if I post an update a day, regardless of how much progress I've made, I'll shame myself into making sure I've done enough for a worthwhile update or something.

Day 1 (Which was yesterday):-

j5wrnUc.jpg

The King and his Seahorse have been undercoated, washed and I've started on the base, I got part way through applying the pumice paste before I realised I couldn't get to the middle without getting it all over the Seahorses tail/tentacles/tail-acles?

Today I want to try and finish the base, and maybe start on the Seahorse. 

• Like 22

As some one whose's habits concerning WIP threads tends to the neglectful, I sympathize. Best of luck on the goal of daily painting, I'm struggling to get there as well.

Looking forward to seeing your take on this one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

GOOD LUCK with your daily post plan! As one of the Folk who enjoy your work, I hope you succeed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It works for me!

Just don’t get discouraged if life prevents daily painting or posting.  Just get back to it when you can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Day 2:-

dPcB0ag.jpg

Finished off the base by gluing some sand to it (hopefully the different textures won't be too noticeable when it's painted), and started the Seahorse.

So far he's got Foul Green scales and Hawk Turquoise skin, but I'm thinking Sky Blue for his belly skin and Fire Orange fins too.

Only problem is, it's going to take several coats and several days just getting a basecoat down, plus days worth of shading and highlighting, so a lot of the piccys I take of this project are going to be practically identical.

I don't think I thought this one through too well.

• Like 20

I think transitioning from Hawk Turquoise to Sky Blue to a little lighter blue on the belly will be effective.  You can pop the scales with a darker wash.  The orange fins will really become a nice focal point.  I don’t see a problem.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

I think transitioning from Hawk Turquoise to Sky Blue to a little lighter blue on the belly will be effective.  You can pop the scales with a darker wash.  The orange fins will really become a nice focal point.  I don’t see a problem.

It's not the colour scheme I'm questioning (it looks pretty nifty) it's my choice of mini, I'm thinking I should have chosen something smaller where my daily progress would've been more noticeable.

Day 3:-

WYFctku.jpg

Finished blocking in the colours, now I just need to get them to a solid basecoat stage.

• Like 16

Looking great so far!

Please keep on doing WIPs (after all, who doesn't have some multiple of 10 or so WIPs they haven't gotten back to?....:upside:).

I always enjoy yours, both your painting style and your excellent taste in figures...usually ones I then wish I'd gotten....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Looking great so far!

Please keep on doing WIPs (after all, who doesn't have some multiple of 10 or so WIPs they haven't gotten back to?....:upside:).

I always enjoy yours, both your painting style and your excellent taste in figures...usually ones I then wish I'd gotten....

I do like making WIP threads, it just kind of feels like a waste of time if I don't actually finish them, if that makes any sense. 

I seem to be getting better at not being so easily distracted, if I can keep that up I might start again, or at least finish some of the ones I've started.

Day 6:-

sgD68ay.jpg

I have been painting every day, it's just been too dang hot to do more than a few minutes here and there. 

Gave the scales two more coats of Foul Green and then a wash of Drakenhof Nightshade (aka Dark Blue). 

Since this piccy, I've started highlighting the scales with more Foul Green, got one side done so far.

• Like 16

Thanks!

Day something (I've kinda lost track already):-

lS3GE5h.jpg

Finished highlighting the scales with Foul Green, then I painted up the head with Foul Green and 1:1 Foul Green/Off-white.

And then before I got around to updating:-

62NdXzO.jpg

Tidied up the Hawk Turquoise bits, shaded them with 1:1 Pure Black/Hawk Turquoise, highlighted with 1:1 Off-white/Hawk Turquoise then attempted to blend it together with thinned Hawk Turquoise.

The highlights look okay but the shading sucks, particularly on the tails (they're very awkward to get to), I think I'll just repaint them.

• Like 19

Urgh....

I repainted the Hawk Turquoise areas to get rid of the terrible shading attempt, and tidied up the Sky Blue areas, but it was looking very flat so I thought I'd try some Blue Wash and just urgh...

I'm setting it aside for tonight, I just can't bare to look at it.

Luckily, I only experimented on one tail, so there's not much to repaint (again), but I'm getting mightily tired of trying to paint this fish.

• Like 5

Fear not: we work in a very forgiving medium. A solution will suggest itself ...there is always the Simple Green wash.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

I'm just a little frustrated, I'm out of my comfort zone painting this fish and I'm trying real hard to not just shove it in the 'Cabinet of Unfinished Things' every time I hit a setback (another habit I'm trying to break), but the dang thing just doesn't want to work with me on this.

This is where I left it last night:-

LEeUruZ.jpg

You can see where the wash didn't work at all on the tail, unlike the arms.

So far today I've repainted the Hawk Turquoise bits, but it's got too hot to make a start on the Sky Blue parts.

• Like 15

Been getting forgetful about taking piccys.

Got the fish cleaned up again, while I ponder my next step there, I'm working on stuff more in my wheelhouse:-

soessVQ.jpg

Painted up the Kings head (1:1 Elf Flesh/Flat Flesh > Flesh Wash > 1:1 Elf Flesh/Flat Flesh > 1:1:1 Elf Flesh/Flat Flesh/Light Flesh) and his eye-patch (2:1 Pure Black/Stone Grey), and started on the fish armour, saddle etc. Going to try and get these bits finished up today.

• Like 12