Sign in to follow this  
TheAuldGrump

Pirates of the Dread Sea by Tabletop Games

17088c9737805209e57d58925dbbc412_origina

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chappellm/pirates-of-the-dread-sea

I don't think word got around - which is a damned shame, the minis look wonderful.

487286cef78640ff6dbefbe0eb5532b6_origina

75dbf1d46d3dfca8bacb607a686e29f9_origina

104012cfe1464c1ced50df1f24fc84e4_origina

8510ad6323af41e2edfcd36f11a97523_origina

We will be going in for a rulebook and a pirate band each - Megan going for dwarfs while I take the undead.

At $4,589 of $9,944.

We have the dwarfs from their previous KS - and they are very nice -

60e2ce9913be52b334816bee531fc406_origina

The Auld Grump - because who wouldn't want a dwarf pirate wench?

• Like 4

If financial times were different, this is the kind of Kickstarter I’d be backing.

Theres some very nice looking minis in there.

I agree that this Kickstarter should be doing better than this.

• Like 1

They do look cool, and I brought into the last one. Really high quality cast minis. Quite quick to fulfil as well.

The only downside for me was that although the dwarves work in 28mm/32mm scale the others are clearly 35mm. The rules are free online for anyone who wants to check this out. 

• Like 1

Hmm, hadn't seen this. Will have to consider going in on this one, I don't think I actually have any really good skeletal pirates.

Also, idk if it is just the paint jobs or the sculpts themselves, but when the dwarves look cuter than the mermaids...

3 hours ago, Brianuk said:

They do look cool, and I brought into the last one. Really high quality cast minis. Quite quick to fulfil as well.

The only downside for me was that although the dwarves work in 28mm/32mm scale the others are clearly 35mm. The rules are free online for anyone who wants to check this out. 

Thanks for starting this thread and sharing our campaign, whilst I would naturally like it to be doing better, it has only been running for 3 days and I may not have given it as much time to run as I should (the decision was ,made based on previous campaigns where nothing much happens for a long middle period).

Hi - thanks so much for backing the first wave. Just in case I haven't made it clear elsewhere, whilst the humans and skeletons are bigger than the dwarves, they are NOT as tall as the elf and orc from wave 1. They are 35mm from base to top of the head. If you're dwarves fit in with other miniatures or, these may well too. I know that our skeletons are EXACTLY the same height as Black Scorpions "32mm" skeletons, for example.

40 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Hmm, hadn't seen this. Will have to consider going in on this one, I don't think I actually have any really good skeletal pirates.

Also, idk if it is just the paint jobs or the sculpts themselves, but when the dwarves look cuter than the mermaids...

Our mermaids are definitely not cute! They're more like sirens in game, luring characters away from objectives and attacking them. And all dwarves are a bit cute.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeadEarthRich said:

Thanks so much for backing the first wave. Just in case I haven't made it clear elsewhere, whilst the humans and skeletons are bigger than the dwarves, they are NOT as tall as the elf and orc from wave 1. They are 35mm from base to top of the head. If you're dwarves fit in with other miniatures or, these may well too. I know that our skeletons are EXACTLY the same height as Black Scorpions "32mm" skeletons, for example.

You are welcome - thank you for reaching out. I think this type of passion project is what Kickstarter should be for, so I really hope it goes well. Again, can vouch for the quality of what you produced last time. 

Really helpful to know about heights of the minis. Yes the two non-dwarves in the last one were noticeably taller and what you are describing sounds a lot more compatible.  

Best of luck! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brianuk said:

You are welcome - thank you for reaching out. I think this type of passion project is what Kickstarter should be for, so I really hope it goes well. Again, can vouch for the quality of what you produced last time. 

Really helpful to know about heights of the minis. Yes the two non-dwarves in the last one were noticeably taller and what you are describing sounds a lot more compatible.  

Best of luck! 

I have to say we are very pleased and proud of the quality of the product. Thanks for the best wishes!

And yes, this is very much a passion project, but I hope to take it as far as we can assuming we manage to get over the minor hurdle of fundung!

• Like 1

You may want to cancel and start over with the KS, Grump was the one that noticed, and he didn't notice all that quick.

This one only has a week left, and I don't think a lot of people even know about it. ::(:

And the dwarf wench is ADORABLE!

4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

You may want to cancel and start over with the KS, Grump was the one that noticed, and he didn't notice all that quick.

This one only has a week left, and I don't think a lot of people even know about it. ::(:

And the dwarf wench is ADORABLE!

I realised it was Grump who noticed, just messed up my quoting (was on a phone at the time). So I thank him for sharing. 

We only have 1 week left, but we're also only 4 days in...we're just about on track to hit target but if it looks like it's not going to happen then absolutely we'll pull and relaunch. 

But if we did, I'm not sure how much more we can do to get the word out to more people. I know about this forum now, so that's a help, but if anyone has ideas, I'm open to them! We already had news items featured on OnTabletop/Beasts of War, Bell of Lost Souls, Tabletop Gaming News and Tabletopfix and I'm all over Twitter and Facebook as much as can be. Any other forums, news sites or blogs who might be interested, please let me know, everyone! It's hard for us small companies (and they literally don't get any smaller than this one) to get the word! 

Thanks for all the support.  

• Like 1

I think trying to chop out the mid KS lull has killed a lot of KS projects.

Sounds good, but doesn't really work.

People like having more than one paycheck to think things over.

Once you have enough regular backers, maybe.

But launching a new game with miniatures takes longer. Hell, I don't know how Grumpy found out. I mostly hear of things from him or from here. For all I know he just randomly Googles Pirate Kickstarter once in a while. <_< I was joking when I wrote that, and then realized it could be true. <_<

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I do like those mermaids... but this will probably fulfill after when I need mermaids.

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

I think trying to chop out the mid KS lull has killed a lot of KS projects.

Sounds good, but doesn't really work.

People like having more than one paycheck to think things over.

Once you have enough regular backers, maybe.

But launching a new game with miniatures takes longer. Hell, I don't know how Grumpy found out. I mostly hear of things from him or from here. For all I know he just randomly Googles Pirate Kickstarter once in a while. <_< I was joking when I wrote that, and then realized it could be true. <_<

Not this time... (But yes, I do.)

This time I noticed a thread on Dakka Dakka - and only because I went to the second page. If I had just scanned the first page of threads....

3 hours ago, DeadEarthRich said:

I realised it was Grump who noticed, just messed up my quoting (was on a phone at the time). So I thank him for sharing. 

We only have 1 week left, but we're also only 4 days in...we're just about on track to hit target but if it looks like it's not going to happen then absolutely we'll pull and relaunch. 

But if we did, I'm not sure how much more we can do to get the word out to more people. I know about this forum now, so that's a help, but if anyone has ideas, I'm open to them! We already had news items featured on OnTabletop/Beasts of War, Bell of Lost Souls, Tabletop Gaming News and Tabletopfix and I'm all over Twitter and Facebook as much as can be. Any other forums, news sites or blogs who might be interested, please let me know, everyone! It's hard for us small companies (and they literally don't get any smaller than this one) to get the word! 

Thanks for all the support.  

The mid-KS lull is depressing - but it does seem like trying to get rid of it is a recipe for falling short of the goal.

I am pretty sure that trying to get rid of the lull is part of what led to Stretch Goals - keep people interested, keep people entertained, and make them feel like they are contributing.

Midlam pulls it off, as do a few others - but they also have an invested customer base.

Places to post to bring customers - Paizo boards - they have an entire pirate adventure path, and interest.

Frothers - we just plain like minis with character.

Here.

DakkaDakka.

The Miniatures Page used to be a good place, as well - but....

Maybe Beasts of War... they kind of turn me off, but they do reach an awful lot of people.

There may be one or two YouTube channels that would be a good fit.

Maybe contact a company where you can cross promote - Heroic Maps has maps of pirate ships, pirate hideaways, and pirate forts. Maybe see if they can provide one of their pirate maps as an incentive in return for advertising. (Captain Bastide's comes to mind - available cheap on RPGNow, and free on the Heroic Maps Patreon.)

Have a scenario specific to the map, to tie it in.

20x30Preview-2.jpg

The Auld Grump - I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Wargameterrain dot blogspot dot com is good. As is tabletopnews and geekandsundry. 

Why not have updates on the KS where you run through creating a crew, setting up, playing the game? You could reuse/select some of the rulebook content and run though different factions and pros and cons. 

• Thanks 1