Choices for a Split Palette

Was trying to choose colors to try the split palette, looking for suggestions that my be better. For reds I was thinking Lava Orange and Violet Red.  For yellows Sun Yellow and Lemon Yellow, although I wonder if the Lemon yellow is green enough. For blues I chose Ultramarine blue and Marine teal.  Are these colors decent choices with good saturation? I confuse value and saturation I think, so darker colors throw me off in terms of comparing relative intensities.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Split primaries can be tricky since many great looking colors on miniature paint and mixed colors and can do weird things when mixing.

Anne Forester did a great overview of mixing colors on Reaper live one night.  Link here: https://youtu.be/XlRb23LZYw8

The Clears are your friends for mixing and she mentions a few others good to start.  

But, clear red is warm, clear yellow is greenish,  and clear magenta is magic in a bottle.

I still need to get a bottle of the blue and green so I can't speak for those colors, but Sapphire blue is my go to bright blue.

• Like 1