Old Cranky Diorama (Wyrd)

Othikent

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, at the risk of being a schmuck, when I first looked at it I thought "Wow, that's a nice start!"  Took me a second, more in depth look to realize it was all painted.  Some of it's probably the angle the picture is from, but it's also the very limited pallet you used.  Right now, looking at it, you see big green band for the swamp, then big grey band for the dock, small green band for the feet, then another big grey expanse with the beard and pants, green head and then brown hat.  The tonal qualities for the beard and pants are virtually the same as the dock so the whole thing tends to blend together.  All the elements are very well executed - the dock and swamp are awesome, I'm just not sure how well it all works together.

The resin really does look like yucky swamp water and I like the worn look of the pier. You might want to consider adding a bit of color to him to finish the look, but this is way better than anything I could do. Wish I could have seen the fish! 

54 minutes ago, Othikent said:

Thank you! Glad you all like it. It would benefit from a splash of color. Just not sure where I would add it. And I too am sad the fish are so obscured. 

Doing the pants in a neutral color would help break things up.  You don't want anything too bright as it would become the focal point, but a faded blue or brown/gray maybe?

I love everything about this, from the backwoods hillbilly swamp goblin to the pier and rope to the murky water. 

That bottommost picture has just about the perfect level of marsh translucency; I like the way you can see the remainder of the piling and the weeds on that side.