Sign in to follow this  
Maledrakh

Maledrakh's Goblins (Bones 3 + 4)

Delving into the Bones 4 core set, we start by pulling out the 24 bonus goblins that originally were in the Bones 3 core set. And add to them the 12 that I have from the previous kickstarter for a grand total of 36 goblins, 6 each of 6 different sculpts. I actually think I should have a few more of these, as one of the ones I got in the Bones 3 shipment was missing a part, and Reaper sent me a whole pack as a replacement. I wonder where I have put the originals?

190727-bones-34-goblins-group.jpg?w=300

These are a bit thinner and more weedy sculpts than the Bones 1 and 2 goblins (Reaper makes a lot of Goblins, obviously they sell well), but as such they should fit well with my existing Lord of the Rings Moria Goblin army I am slowly growing for Kings of War.  I have based them on my 3D printed 20mm round bases, the Bones 3 ones have a slightly different style as I have since developed the design, making the later types more hollowed out so I can avoid the minis always standing on a hilltop.

190727-bones-34-goblins-conan.jpg?w=300

36 goblins are quite a handful to deal with all at once. Being nickled and dimed to death, or experiencing death by a thousand cuts as it were, is still dead.

190727-bones-34-goblins-twohander-front. 190727-bones-34-goblins-twohander-back.j

190727-bones-34-goblins-axe-front.jpg?w= 190727-bones-34-goblins-axe-back.jpg?w=3

Goblin Luggits are the ones with two handed weapons in Kings of War Vanguard

190727-bones-34-goblins-bow-front.jpg?w= 190727-bones-34-goblins-bowback.jpg?w=30

Goblin Spitters are the bowmen in Kings of War Vanguard

190727-bones-34-goblins-spear-front.jpg? 190727-bones-34-goblins-spear-back.jpg?w

190727-bones-34-goblins-mace-front.jpg?w 190727-bones-34-goblins-mace-back.jpg?w=

190727-bones-34-goblins-sword-front.jpg? 190727-bones-34-goblins-sword-back.jpg?w

The rest are just Rabble (in Kings of War Vanguard)

I generally do not like painting identical minis identically, so I switch things up slightly by painting each set of different sculpts in a different base colour, and randomly do the other bits. I keep some bits the same throughout, such as the weapons, shields, or helmets, and also have used the same strong quickshade ink and a very light drybrush with Team Yankee Maverick Khaki, a mid-to-light beige-ish green on all the minis.

This together with the bases give the entire group a cohesive feel, so they appear as a unit while still retaining a sense of individuality,

These are really quite quick to paint, just alot of them to do. I did them in between bouts of playing Payday 2 over the last couple of days.

77444 Goblin Warriors +  77445 Goblin Skirmishers

Reaper Miniatures, Bones 3 KS 2015 (and Bones 4 KS 2017)

Sculpted by Bobby Jackson

Bonesium PVC.

20mm bespoke 3D printed round lipped base

available from reapermini.com

• Like 19

This is sweet! Nothing like a horde of goblins to wake up a sleepy adventuring party. What do you use for your grass? Its a very natural blend.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pineapple
      Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84371-2019-rpchallenge-questionsannouncements/
      All the information you need should be here.

As a change of pace from the Hard Mode Challenge, this round will have a Skill Challenge.

May and June 2019 Challenge

Your challenge is: 9!

Bonus Challenge: The First!
      "Mayday!" is an international distress signal used in verbal communication in ships and aircraft.  Your first bonus challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to paint a miniature in some distress.  This could be a diorama, an adventurer falling into a trap, villian whose weapon just broke, or anything else your mind can conjure.

Bonus Challenge: The Second!
      The Solstices: June marks the beginning of Summer in the Northern Hemisphere and Winter in the Southern Hemisphere.  Paint a miniature or a pair of miniatures showcasing this duality.

Skill Challenge: OSL
      Try your hand at painting a miniature using OSL or Object-Source Lighting.  If you feel like this is something that is already in your wheelhouse, work on your technical skills in another area.  Practice NMM, TMM, wet-blending, sculpting, or anything else you've been meaning to try.

As always, the game is made up and the points don't matter!
    • By Lostraven
      Here is another wizard from the Greybeards subset of the Bones 4 Core set. This one does have a metal version (SKU 03953) and was sculpted by Bobby Jackson. I had fun with this figure. I love the character in these wizard figures. This one is strongly reminiscent of Gandalf. Though I resisted the temptation to go grey I did sneak Gandalf's rune onto the medallion on the back of his hat.

• By WhiteWulfe
      Being that this is the figure that was the biggest reason why I picked up the Hassassin Bahram Sectorial Starter Pack (say that three times fast ), I was suspecting he'd wind up on my painting desk sooner or later...  I just didn't realize he'd have the honour of being the first finished this year, as well as my first finished Infinity miniature!

At some point in the near future I'll acquire some S2 holoprojector tokens for him, as actual 3D representations are nice.  Not sure where from, but I like my current Art of War Studios things, so probably theirs.

Oh, and for those who might be curious, that's a Global Evil Corp UniPod with two StairPods (well, one pack) in the first three pics, fourth one is a DuoPod with a StairPod alongside it.  Sadly no magnets yet for the terrain, but they're on the way, and will get here at some point
    • By Maledrakh
      These last few weeks have been very busy IRL so very little has been painted. I did however manage to whip this up the other day.

The little vampire. aka Vampire Halfling from Kings of War: Vanguard's Undead Warband Booster, by Mantic Games. Off to count some blood sausages. Or maybe slurp some black pudding. Oh, how he longs to again be able to have some hot cross buns...but they burn his mouth so...

For some reason my camera did not want to focus properly on the face.

Printlines?! Printlines!?

What is it with "premium" resin minis and what looks suspiciously like printlines? Has someone failed at the clean-up-of-the-master-print-stage or is it something else that makes such lines a thing? Has someone rushed and cut corners? Why would you release a premium resin model like this?
      You can say a lot about Mantic starting out with cheap, "no brand" minis, but that is simply no longer true. Single, normal size resin models clock in at the €10-15 range retail price, the four model booster is a £30 / €40 / $45 box. That is premium pricing. Well, maybe at the lower end of premium but still, premium pricing.
      When they charge a premium price, I expect a premium product. Print lines = sloppy quality control. = not premium.
      Apart from the print lines on the cape, it is a good mini. I cannot abide the square bases they use for Vanguard, so I printed a 25mm round for it.

Sneaking up on a beefy snack

This mini was finished May 25th 2020.

Vampire Halfling
      from the Undead Warband Booster
      for Kings of War: Vanguard
      Mantic Games, 2020
      unknown sculptor
      Made in resin
      25mm base.
      available from manticgames

• By Lostraven
      I started working on the wizards from the Bone 4 core set. I was originally running through the usual themes - brown, grey, red etc. but this colour scheme on a different figure really caught my eye and I thought it would work on this figure. I didn't realize he was supposed to be an evil wizard until I looked it up on line (sku 03847 by Bobby Jackson btw). But hey evil wizards can like bright colours too, right?

• Who's Online   35 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)