Has this ever happened to anybody?? Aaaargh!!!!!

So a delightful Sunday morning, I wake up early and go down to my nerd cave to seal the latest mini I was working on and to base her. I’m now in the habit of waiting at least 24 hours before applying sealant because I’ve had other times I hadn’t waited and paint actually rubbed off while I was applying my varnish. 

Anyhoos, I go downstairs to the nerd cave, grab my water cup to clean out and put new water in it. I put coffee on  to get my happy juices flowing. I go back downstairs and grab my little miniature to seal and this is what I find:C4AA4165-4610-4AA3-9840-908AE7172430.jpeg.5228aa74cfe8365fa844f5e22d27d9fe.jpeg

it looked like my poor little Mage has been bathed in blood, like somebody just exploded right in front of her. 

So so instead of finishing up my sweet girl, I spend about two hours doing repair work. I had to do her face, hair, a feather, her smock, and her little crown. Now I’ve got to wait another 24 hours to put the varnish on. 

Last night I was working on a dinosaur and I don’t know how but I apparently threw some paint around a bit carelessly. My poor Mage was just hanging around, minding her own business and she got a face full of blood. 

Ive dropped a mini into paint before but this is the first time I’ve sent paint flying. Has this ever happened to anybody else?

• Like 2
  • Sad 11
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far so good.

I did have a few mishaps with sealers creating frosting or a primer gone bad making the base grainy, I had to use a dremel tool once too smoothen a primed mini again.

And misbehaving paints.

• Like 3

First time using the airbrush I misused it and flung a huge thick glob of brown paint onto the Morihalda bust I was working on, straight onto the chest that I'd gotten a perfect skintone blend on. I had to smooth it with gloss varnish and redo it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

It was painful, but on the bright side, it didn’t get in her eyes, which would have brought me to the brink of frustration.  And I was able to fix her in a few hours.

I guess too in this same vein, I’ve also speckled miniatures with primer, not at all to this degree, but a dot or two of pure white on an otherwise not white paint job.  

• Like 7

I've dropped models into paint while they were in progress, but nothing like this as I was nearing completion.

It actually doesn't look that horrible.  Absolutely frustrating, but on anything besides a mage, I might have considered leaving it and maybe adding more for blood effect.

• Like 5
33 minutes ago, Broomie said:

My most recent was I handed a freshly finished unvarnished mini to my daughter and we fumbled it into my wet palette. Oops. 

I’ve done that once or twice. An immediate dunk into the rinsewater swishes off most of the wet paint and keeps the rest of the unwanted paint wet enough to be removed quickly.

• Like 4
56 minutes ago, Broomie said:

My most recent was I handed a freshly finished unvarnished mini to my daughter and we fumbled it into my wet palette. Oops. 

That would be sad and painful..

22 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I’ve done that once or twice. An immediate dunk into the rinsewater swishes off most of the wet paint and keeps the rest of the unwanted paint wet enough to be removed quickly.

At least you guys saw your error quickly!  This one I did one night and didn’t notice until the following morning when it was stone cold dry...

• Like 2