Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Bedlam

Suffering For Your Art

Hmmm... I've never used other people's flesh... But I've used my own sunburn byproducts to make a few scrolls and a cloak before.

And that's not paint on this wererat's axe...

realblood.jpg.395cdae9d0272fe683a2f601c28a8ce2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Hmm... scrolls... never thought of THAT...

• Like 1

For the record - human skin makes for terrible scrolls, at least in regards to how long they last.

And, yes, people being people, it has been done. (I have seen one such book at auction - and went nowhere near it. Circa 1985.)

The Auld Grump - anthropodermic bibliopegy.... Gives me the shudders and cauld grue.

*EDIT* Not helping matters - it was a book of anatomy - and the skin came from the person being dissected for the reference.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

:zombie: will have to do..

I feel I should note, as someone who's had that kind of nasty sunburn in the past (not full-body, thank dog), I can relate to the original story.

I was not, however, a gamer at that time... but had I been, I probably would have done the same thing. 

I don't have plans to go get my pasty self sunburned to that degree just to have skin-shreds to turn into creepy banners, though. ^^;

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Human skin ain't great for leather because the pieces are pretty small.

You may recall that the main use for kid leather (from young goats) was gloves. It's because the leather pieces are so small they're not much good for other things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

For the record - human skin makes for terrible scrolls, at least in regards to how long they last.

And, yes, people being people, it has been done. (I have seen one such book at auction - and went nowhere near it. Circa 1985.)

The Auld Grump - anthropodermic bibliopegy.... Gives me the shudders and cauld grue.

*EDIT* Not helping matters - it was a book of anatomy - and the skin came from the person being dissected for the reference.

...well, I was thinkin' SCALE scrolls, not ACTUAL ones... 

• Haha 4

I have one miniature with my dried blood on it.

It was a quadruped, and the blood was on the side, in front of the back legs.  

I can't remember what the figure was though.    Thats going to bug me. 

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

Human skin ain't great for leather because the pieces are pretty small.

You may recall that the main use for kid leather (from young goats) was gloves. It's because the leather pieces are so small they're not much good for other things.

Also very, very thin. And nowhere near sufficient oils to preserve it without treatment..

The Auld Grump

I thought this would be about back pain.

19 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:
...and began hanging strips of human flesh from it...

There are extremely few circumstances where this is a normal thing to say. :;,;:

Now I want to try something along those lines with yellow carpenter glue dried over the palm of my hand. I always thought it had similar visual properties to peeled skin.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4

And too flexible. 

I've tried this with casein based glues. They don't dry out and stiffen the way human flesh does. They remain fairly flexible, and don't fold or roll well.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 1

I sunburn quite easily, like really really easily. The last really bad sunburn I had, i was able to peel back most of my forehead in a single go. And even at the time, I had a lot of forehead. Never occurred to me to use my sunburn leavings for something. Of course, I haven't had a serious sunburn in a while. Just small patches on the shoulders and arms from being careless and being outside for 20 minutes on a cloudy day without sunscreen. The results being far too thin a fragile for that.

I'm deeply divided over this thread.

On the one hand I'm impressed by the imagination and resourcefulness shown by... some forum members.

On the other hand I'm glad that I don't seem to be quite as... obsessed as some forum members. 

...In fact I'm dreading hearing someone say: "I picked up this REALLY NEAT idea from Van Gogh!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 8