Yeah, you're right, she's not your best work, but I think you did a good job on her.

I like her stockings, and the lantern is great as well.

Her face though tells the story of a girl who wasn't careful when extracting honey from a bee hive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the 'Likes' everybody!

17 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Yeah, you're right, she's not your best work, but I think you did a good job on her.

I like her stockings, and the lantern is great as well.

Her face though tells the story of a girl who wasn't careful when extracting honey from a bee hive.

Yeeeah, I really don't know what went wrong there, how do you make a face puffy just by painting it?

• Like 3

She looks good!

*** Darn that girl has some thighs!***

Good highlights

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Thanks for the 'Likes' everybody!

Yeeeah, I really don't know what went wrong there, how do you make a face puffy just by painting it?

I dunno. I'm not having such an amount of experience with that. I just know that I have got problems when my colour is too thick or my highlights are wrong.

Maybe @vhaidracan help. She's got a keen eye when it comes to such topics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good job so far. I think the skin turned out very nice. A very natural tone and highlighting. Concerning the face @SisterMaryNapalm meantioned I might could help....I don`t know. I myself use only very small brushes for the face from size 0 down to 000. I only use high quality sable brushes and magnifiers and so I have a good control about everything what happens in the face of the miniature.

But I know from other painters that a brush size 0 should be small enough for faces and small details, but in fact I have got a better feeling with smaller brushes. Don`t know if I can give this as a general advice. It is said it depends to the brushtip. I prefer smaller brushes for difficult and tiny parts for one reason and that is: There is less paint on the brush which makes it easier to control the paint.

Apart from this I just can say: The highlighting areas in the face are:

- Forehead

- Cheekbone

- Bridge (nose)

- Point of the chin

- Sometimes jawbones but only if they are sculpted very prominent.

All this prominent areas of the face should be highlighted very obviously, but only on a very, very small area and exactly this is the problem and that is why I use very small brushes at least for the final brushstrokes for to paint it smooth and clean. You can use first a larger brush (size 0) for a rough highlighting, but if you wish an extremely good definition it is helpful to work it out finaly with a smaller brush for being able to add several midtones for maximum depth and smooth blendings. This is at least how I do it.

Hope this helps ::D:

Edited by vhaidra
English mistake
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice!

I have used a 000 sized brush in the past for little details, but the paint dried out too quick for my liking, although it sounds like it would have helped on a face with such soft details as this one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Thanks for the advice!

I have used a 000 sized brush in the past for little details, but the paint dried out too quick for my liking, although it sounds like it would have helped on a face with such soft details as this one.

I never had problems with this, but maybe it is because my style is different. I put one tone beside the next and so for me it is no problem if the paints dry fast, I mean if they are dried right after I applied it, everything is cool because it is not necessary that they stay wet. I don`t make wetblending at faces but only layering and for this it is good if the paint dries very fast.

But you can also try a brush size 00. It is a bit larger than the 000 and mostly used for faces by me. I use the 000 only for the black eyeliner at the eyes and maybe for lips. To thin the paint a bit more also helps if you think it dries too fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1