Jump to content

poorly made miniature assembly


Recommended Posts

I'm not going to list names so as not to dump on the company (it's not a big studio like Reaper or GW) ... but I got a miniature to assemble and they kinda really botched the process.

 

It's a cheap resin, and the assembly points where it SHOULD fit flush isn't.  every one of those points has a divot.

 

temp.jpg

So it's basically like trying to glue 2 jar lids together when the jars aren't the same size.

 

 

My question is - how should I fix this?  Do I employ green stuff?

I don't really want to pin it because some of these fiddly bits aren't even 2 mm wide (lots of little arms without tabs/slots)

 

Advice welcome

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I find myself with a similar problem, I start by drilling and pinning and testfitting, and then dropping a pin in, gluing, and using putty or Zap-A-Gap to fill any obvious space. The medium depends on the size of the gap.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

combat_zone_pieces.jpg

this is a figurine of the support character J4X in Imperial Assault.  I left the crap on my desk to provide a sense of how tiny this thing is.

 

and this is how the robot was advertised on the website
temp.jpg

 

Any rate, I'll list off and explain all the details.  had I known that the manufacturer sold it like this I probably wouldn't have bought it.  8\

  • this isn't all the fiddly bits, there's more just for this model (lots of other models in the bag with similar design issues, but this one's the worse
  • The gun-arms that go on the side of the main body don't really fit.  The inside of it is flat (and an ugly flat that you'd find on a connection side, so there's no question there) ... but it's supposed to connect into that circular divot like a ball-socket joint would go.  8\
  • i left that top cannon in view.  while the piece actually would fit flush where it's supposed to, it's barely a mm tall.  With this material i wouldn't want to try pinning it.
  • The head-base and the neck-base are the ones I mentioned in the original post.  I tried to angle it so you could see the recess via shadows, but it's a huge divot where the two pieces are supposed to glue-fit together.

So yeah.  kind of a mess.  8\

 

anyhoo, there ya go.  Please provide advice.

 

Edited by jonfreeman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...