ManvsMini

Getting to Know You August 2019 presented by MvM

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 14th:

When it comes on the radio (or playlist if you don't listen to radio), what song makes you immediately change to a different station or skip the song?

I haven't listened to the radio in years, and I like all the music on my playlists, so...none.

Maybe if I'm just shuffling my entire collection, something might come up that doesn't fit the mood. Even so, I've been known to just let that roll mostly...going from Willie Nelson to Mastodon to Django Reinhardt to Count Basie doesn't phase me. When asked what kind of music I like, the answer is, "good."

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I only listen to news talk radio, so I'm good.

That's me 75% of the time.

If music comes on for more than about two minutes, it's because Lady Klarg changed the station, and I need to change it back. (Assuming she isn't in the car with me)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

When it comes on the radio (or playlist if you don't listen to radio), what song makes you immediately change to a different station or skip the song?

Since I normally listen to audiobooks  when by myself in the car this isn't an issue.  Mrs. Wulf and I carpool though, so when we're both in the car we usually listen to the radio since audiobooks put her to sleep. She's usually the one to hit the channel change subject.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If I'm listening to any music, it's already pretty much self-selected. I've been skipping Madonna a bunch lately just because my Pandora has really been saturated with her, but that's just a temporary fatigue, not the sort of thing I think you're asking about.

I will not--WILL NOT--listen to any radio during the "morning show" time frame. At that point, it's NPR or silence if I don't have something specific playing via Bluetooth.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

ANYTHING by Cheryl Crowe

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

America - Horse With No Name. It was overplayed when i was in high school. I'd rather listen to fingernails on a blackboard.

8 hours ago, TGP said:

I had to look this up because I barely knew who or what the guilty parties were...

Golden Earing — Radar Love — 1973   :zombie:

Now that is a favorite of mine. :) 

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Too  many to list on the radio. If it's a playlist that I made for myself, there aren't gonna be any songs on it I don't like.

Ditto. 

8 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Also this one commercial series for a used car lot. Ugh the woman has the most grating Jersey accent. Worse, I am in favor of down payments, stop trying to con people into high interest loans!

Yeah, I think we have the same company on the air here.  They've bought early evening hours when I like to paint, and when they star airing I have to switch to the cd player. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

John Mellencamp, "Jack & Diane" is one.  Rachel Platten, "Fight Song", because it got stuck in my wife's head for days and wouldn't let her sleep.  I find a lot of the sappy love songs grate on my nerves, but mostly because they're overplayed.

My least liked song is Melanie, "Brand New Key" but they almost never play it on the radio.  (During AT40 reruns doesn't count.)

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

America - Horse With No Name. It was overplayed when i was in high school. I'd rather listen to fingernails on a blackboard.

One of my friends from high school had a summer job at Pizza Inn.  There was a patron who would come in to the restaurant and pour in something like ten dollars into the jukebox so, for the next hour, all you heard was "Horse With No Name".

I don't know how long it lasted but, when I was in middle school, the same Pizza Inn had the Chariots of Fire soundtrack as one of the unlisted choices and one of the managers would regularly select it from the jukebox.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I pretty much only listen to "rock" stations, since that's the heaviest we have around here, so that removes most of my instant skips.

The one major exception to that is Bryan Adams. When he first got popular in the 80s my mother played his stuff non-stop.  Drove me nuts. 

To make it worse, all radio stations in Canada HAVE to play a certain percentage of Canadian content (don't get me started.....) and Mr. Adams is a real go-to for that (because Rush only put out like 5 songs apparently) so he's on a LOT.

The Guess Who's Dancing Fool is another, again Canadian content, and last year Burton was playing a local festival so they played him at least once an hour for the 3 months leading up to the show.

Send them a note introducing them to a few nice Canadian Bands?

• B.T.O.
  • SAGA
  • Anvil
  • Exciter
  • Beneath the Massacre
  • Annihilator
  • Crytopsy
  • Voivod
  • Pat Travers
  • Triumph
  • Frank Marino
  • Quo Vadis
  • Slaughter
Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Send them a note introducing them to a few nice Canadian Bands?

• B.T.O.
  • SAGA
  • Anvil
  • Exciter
  • Beneath the Massacre
  • Annihilator
  • Crytopsy
  • Voivod
  • Pat Travers
  • Triumph
  • Frank Marino
  • Quo Vadis
  • Slaughter

Oh a number of those get regular play (BTO, Saga, Triumph, Pat Travers and Frank Marino.  The rest are a little too....obscure... for standard rock stations around here to play regularly (although I had cassettes for a number of them....).  Plus they have to fit in all the local Maritime talent, which is there is quite a bit of that get regular radio play.

And yet, they still play Summer of 69 or Cut's like a Knife almost EVERY time I'm in the car....

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I pretty much only listen to "rock" stations, since that's the heaviest we have around here, so that removes most of my instant skips.

The one major exception to that is Bryan Adams. When he first got popular in the 80s my mother played his stuff non-stop.  Drove me nuts. 

To make it worse, all radio stations in Canada HAVE to play a certain percentage of Canadian content (don't get me started.....) and Mr. Adams is a real go-to for that (because Rush only put out like 5 songs apparently) so he's on a LOT.

The Guess Who's Dancing Fool is another, again Canadian content, and last year Burton was playing a local festival so they played him at least once an hour for the 3 months leading up to the show.

It could be worse... they could play... The Biebs ::o: :zombie:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Since radio does not play any of my music I put my playlist on USB and listen to it there.  Any auto skips are edited out.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

The Macarena. The airwaves on the only station I could get growing up in the '90s when I began listening to music were held hostage by a DJ called Mojo, who played the song on repeat for 6 hours straight; he must have barricaded himself into the studio booth at the station. Mojo was subsequently fired...

And anything by Coldplay. Or the Eagles.

10 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I do not know the title but it is a whining song about a guy who's girlfriend left because he injured her.

I feel that could be any country song by a male performer...

• Like 9

Okay, this is going to be a lengthy post since I'm making up for being offline for the last 6 days :ph34r:

On 8/8/2019 at 5:24 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 8th:

Is there a diorama you have always wanted to build, and if so, what is it?

It's one based on an illustration I saw when I was but a wee nipper. It involves a massive sauropod being stalked/flanked by three carnosaurs(possibly allosaurs). It was almost monochrome and so striking that the image has stuck in my head all these years. I'd love to do a 3D version of it.

On 8/9/2019 at 5:32 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 9th:

What is your favorite way to spend a night alone?

You're never alone with cats! ::P: That said, if I'm without human company then I'll probably do some painting followed by watching some horror films of dubious quality. My housemate really can't watch much horror at all, so I wait until she's gone to view the scary stuff. 

On 8/10/2019 at 5:33 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 10th:

Can you ride a bicycle, swim or roller/ice skate? If not, would you like to learn?

Um, yes, yes and yes. There's a lot of nice cycle paths here, we normal take a packed lunch and make a day of it.

On 8/11/2019 at 5:14 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 11th:

If you are flipping channels on TV (aka channel surfing), what movie or show episode will you always stop to watch, despite having already seen it?

The Supervet. It's a UK documentary series about Noel Fitzpatrick, a truly awesome fellow whose attitude is "if we can treat a human for that, why not an animal?"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NqUEraHGHvI

(The first series was called Bionic Vet, but it the show changed channels and got renamed)

On 8/12/2019 at 1:53 PM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 12th:

What mini is the pride of your collection? (painted or unpainted, still in box, etc, doesn't matter what its status is)

I've got both of the Confrontation dragons, both are unpainted for different reasons. The little one is a pain in the proverbial to assemble. @ManvsMini has offered to give me advice on how to sort it out, so all I need to do is find the blasted thing <_<

The big dragon is just intimidating. I'm never going to be able to pick up another one, so I need to make a really good job of it first time. There's also the fact that I'd need to resculpt 3 of the claws because my late cat, Bandit, took it upon herself to remove them and I never found out where she stashed them.

On 8/13/2019 at 5:35 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 13th:

Socks with sandals: a fashion no-no, or heck yeah?

Nope, nope, all the nopes ::P:

19 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke

Any Justin Bieber 

Rude by Magic

Whew! Now I'm up to date :bday: 

+++keels over+++

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

We have several radios on at work, set to various stations, and I have yet to turn one off on someone.  That said, at a previous job a classic rock station was on all the time and they almost never changed their playlist.  There's a number of '70s rock songs that I would no longer choose to listen to, having literally heard some of them every working day for years.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

The Macarena. The airwaves on the only station I could get growing up in the '90s when I began listening to music were held hostage by a DJ called Mojo, who played the song on repeat for 6 hours straight; he must have barricaded himself into the studio booth at the station. Mojo was subsequently fired...

And anything by Coldplay. Or the Eagles.

I feel that could be any country song by a male performer...

While that is true, the song I am thinking of is not country

• Like 5