ManvsMini

Getting to Know You August 2019 presented by MvM

21 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 15th:

What would you say is your claim to fame? (i.e. your proverbial "15-minutes in the spotlight"?)

Meeting Sum 41 when they came into my A&W.....

....And not caring one bit as to who they were, despite my coworker fangirling rather heavily about such.  Still have no idea who they are.

In case that doesn't qualify, I still hold the record for days not allowed to drive because I conked my head on a bright orange warehouse rack...  That should count (ps: it was three days due to how potent the concussion was, my balance was absolutely terrible those days).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

What would you say is your claim to fame? (i.e. your proverbial "15-minutes in the spotlight"?)

I was once part of the cast in a rock opera called "STDs on Ice."

Yes, you read that correctly. For those still interested, allow me to elaborate.

You see, folks, sometimes when you go to college, you take jobs to help lower your tuition and housing expenses. One year I worked in the dorms as a Resident Advisor for freshmen. Now, when you are an RA at an educational institution, part of the job is putting on programs for the residents of the dorms that provide some form of educational or social benefit for them. Those programs can be as simple as putting on a mixer with residents of another floor so that they get to know other people and don't feel isolated, or it can range to bringing in professors to talk to them about how to get involved in research and so forth. And no, attendance by the residents is not mandatory.

This is not the tale of doing one of those simpler things. This is instead the tale of a gag gone horribly wrong.

A group of my coworkers and I talked about putting on a program regarding sexual health and education (which was not unheard of at all, and frankly, quite beneficial for students right out of high school tasting a bit of freedom). But, we joked that we wanted ours to be bigger and better, to stand out from other buildings' programs. As we were all fans of rock, we joked about making a rock opera (we'd listened to a bit too much of The Who). But then we kept joking about making it bigger, which as we all know means doing things on ice. Every show is better once you add " on Ice" to the title. We never meant for it to happen, literally just for gags. Word got around, coworkers thought we were crazy as they laughed too.

Then came the day that our immediate supervisors took us seriously and announced during a staff meeting that they had secured funding for this endeavor. It was like the needle on the record player screeching to a halt. I can't type the exact words that came out of my mouth at that moment, but use your imagination. So now we had no choice, we had to cobble this thing together, and sadly we dragged our entire building's RA staff into the mess as a staff-wide program.

Now when I say "funding was secured" it's not like we had a Broadway budget (I always refer to this theatrical disaster as a waaaaaaaaay off-Broadway production). The budget of most programs was usually $0, or within the $10-$30 range if refreshments were involved. So when I say that they managed to get around $1000 for a single program, yeah, it was a big deal. Most of that money went towards time in a recording studio to record the original soundtrack (um hello, it was a ROCK OPERA) because we couldn't have a real band in/on the ice rink at the university (thus everyone had to lip-synch to pre-recorded music), and the rest went to renting the ice rink, low budget costumes and backdrops.

Recall a previous question in this thread about "can you ice skate"? Yeah, I had to learn to ice skate for this joke gone horribly wrong. Never set foot on the ice before. I got a grand total of four lessons on the ice before I had to go out and perform in this nightmare. Amazingly, I didn't fall during the performance. But I never set foot on the ice again. And we surprisingly had a decent turn-out from residents (though I strongly suspect they mostly came to see us fall on the ice).

So that, dear forum members, is my claim to fame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Around here, it's probably the technical completion of a Seven Day Challenge with ONE BRUSH. I say technical completion because I disqualified myself, and said 'well, hell with that, I'mma finish this anyway', and... well, finished it. With the same damn brush. 

I still have that brush. It's very battered, but it does still have a point. Sort of.

In general terms. .. hard to say, honestly. Source of Evil Laughter on voice coms, decent healer (I'm rusty as hell), that person who can and will finish a trilogy of books in a weekend ....

I'm pretty boring.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

What would you say is your claim to fame?

I haven’t got one...

(i.e. your proverbial "15-minutes in the spotlight"?)

I’m a proverbial Mushroom...shade is where I stay. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm the Zombie Queen.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

A few decades ago my picture was taken for promotional purposes of the RNLAF ( Royal Netherlands Air Force).

I had no idea what they would do with it exactly.

There was an Airshow where huge posters were put up, my picture was one of them.

I didn't attend that Airshow, but a few days later people came up to me telling me they saw me there.

When I answered I wasn't there they told me about the posters.

So I was famous without knowing it for a whole day.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I was on flight BA 149 on 1st. August 1990.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 13

40 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

I was on flight BA 149 on 1st. August 1990.

Wow..that's not a fun way to hit the spotlights.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I figured out that you can use hedonic analysis to determine not only the value society places on non market goods and services, but also what aspects of those goods and services are most desirable. I was curious about property values near fragmented urban green spaces. My assumption was that these created value for surrounding home buyers in excess of the utility generated for owners of said green spaces if they were to develop them. And I was correct. But in finding this out I realized we were seeing differences in home values based on what ecosystem services were available and the quality of those same services. Surprisingly, no one had ever written about this effect. So mission accomplished, I added to the scientific body of knowledge! They gave me my Master's degree and I politely declined an offer of funding to develop this further and get my PhD. 

Skip forward a few years and I was approached by my old adviser about coauthoring a paper on the subject. Sounded good so he teamed me up with a young lady from Beijing who is way better at math than I am and we wrote a paper on the subject. My old adviser, also a Nobel prize recipient, put his name on it and shopped it around to several journals and gave presentations on it at economics conferences until someone published it a couple years ago. 

Since then the research has been repeated and verified twice confirming its validity. It's also been used to justify spending on invasive species removal several times and is being used to maximize the potential for green space to create equity for property owners in traditionally poor areas. As a result I've seen an uptick in people reading my original thesis. Nearly 50 people looked it up last year! And I'm fairly certain only 10 of those views were from my mom showing it to her confused friends. 

Oh, and I was once on the jumbotron at a Cincinnati Reds game. That's a story I still tell a lot. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

It's between being on the 6th place team in fencing in college and twice being 2nd in the National Team Boomerang Tournament.

One thing to note, I went to a Division III small school.  In Fencing at that time there were no divisions.  Notre Dame won.  That makes sixth a real accomplishment.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I've done my best to avoid being in the spotlight my entire life.

About the closest I've come is being on tv while marshaling. I've been on the national sports channel a bunch with the Canadian Superbikes coverage, usually just a quick glimpses.  And I've been on F1 coverage a bunch from Montreal, but again, mostly just quick glimpses.  The worst (for me) was the 2018 race, as we were working turn 1, and I was upstream, about 20 feet past the start/finish line.  This was cool during the grid as you got to watch them get the cars ready and watch all the silliness with celebrities, but then during the national anthem I looked up at the big screen and realized that from the camera they were shooting I was standing right behind the lady singing the anthem.  Luckily they switched cameras shortly there after...haven't looked up the coverage to see if that made the official feed...

Other than that I've managed to avoid an incident that would lead to me being on camera.  Unlike my friend Ian who made the front page of British news feed and every motorsports feed a couple of years ago...
fcd2c567f00da79699b9dd23aac8f9ba.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

To a certain demographic of Northern IL I am known as "Keg Dude" or "Keg Man". During several local festivals I was charged with guarding the keg so no one stole it. I of course took this a bit further not only serving the beer as none of the damn kids knew how to properly use the tapper, encouraged the use of milk jugs rather than red cups so they wouldn't have to get right back in line, and provided commentary in character. (the young folk thought I bore a resemblance to Hunter S Thompson and I rolled with it, morphing this with Don Rickles insult humor. )

Even after several years and in the oddest of places, (Union Station in Chicago, County Jail, and the train to Austin) I sometimes hear "Keg Dude!" shouted in my direction.

In various Austin resturants, my signature "Phil Groan" of frustration is recognizable by the staff and at one I am now a part of legends past down to new hires after I challenged the GM to a duel. At another I'm known for punching out the maintance guy after he tried to beat down the busboy. 

It's not that I seek out local notoriety wherever I live...it just kind of happens. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4