Getting to Know You August 2019 presented by MvM

ManvsMini

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 10th:

Can you ride a bicycle, swim or roller/ice skate? If not, would you like to learn?

Yes, yes, no. As for the last of those, pretty sure my body would rebel if I tried to put it through learning how to skate. Lol

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Can you ride a bicycle, swim or roller/ice skate? If not, would you like to learn?

All at once? No..::P:

Yes, I can.

Yes.

No/no. I think I have fuzzy memories of trying both when I was a kid and not being particularly adept at either.

In theory, I wouldn't mind learning, but I think I've abused my body a little too much over the years for it to really be a good idea.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

When I was a boy, my bike & I explored all of my home town, Merrick, & distant Bellmore & Freeport. AND I was quite a good swimmer. Roller & ice skates were  beyond me.

All three are activities that are best left as memories of other times & the person I used to be.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I ride my bike to work a couple times a week, and sometimes use it for errands. I've had a few "fun" adventures with people who don't understand that bicycles are vehicles with a right to the road, just like cars, but nothing that will deter me from riding, so far. I'd like to be in shape to ride the Greater Allegheny Passage (trail from Pittsburgh to DC) by the time I'm 40. That deadline isn't far, but I'm working on it!

I enjoy swimming. I'm annoyed that all the nearby gyms with year-round pool access are absurdly expensive, because it's a form of exercise that I wouldn't mind.

...I hate exercise that has no purpose beyond exercise: lifting weights, stationary bikes, pilates; these are all boring at best, annoying at worst. Swimming should fit in the same category, but you have to stay busy with not drowning, so I don't notice the monotony of swimming laps quite so much. I guess you might say it's a more... immersive... experience.

Skating: I used to really enjoy both wheeled and bladed skating, though I was never great at either. Probably my knees and ankles would rebel and die if I tried it right now.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Swim? Yes, actually was certified lifeguard in my 20s

Bike? Yup, but am looking for something really smooth riding since smashing up my spine

Skating? yes, never really good on rollers, but used to play ice hockey

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I think I can still ride, the only one I've been on lately is at the gym.  Haven't skated since I was a kid, even then, there were not a lot of surfaces conducive to good skating.  Swimming I was never good at, I float about 2" below the surface of the water so it was a constant struggle for me to learn the basics.  Now I have joint damage and can't do strokes properly.  I did cross country skiing once and would have liked to do more of that but haven't had the opportunity. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

• Yes. Not great endurance, probably my maximum is about 25 miles these days.
  • Yes. With or without fins and a mask. Some things are easier these days since I have a bit more ... buoyancy now. <_<
  • -ish. I've done both; I mostly don't fall down and occasionally have a bit of fun. No real desire to do either again.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Maybe? It's been a ridiculously long amount of time since I've tried. I /know/ however that I cannot ride a bike with handbrakes, it's never ended well.

No, I cannot swim, after more than one almost drowning incident it's kind of steered me clear of the water.

I don't think I can roller skate but I have successfully ice skated in the past and I think I could pick that up easier than a bike.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I can ride a bike, but sadly physically can't anymore as it applies too much pressure to an area that underwent surgery for compressed nerves. I rather enjoyed it, used to have a lot of bike paths so cars were never an issue. It also means I had to cross off a triathlon off my bucket-list.

I am very good at swimming, mom put me into lessons during the summers as a child to keep me busy. I never got to compete as I couldn't master diving into the pool without my goggles being yanked off on impact. Currently, this is my biggest form of exercise while my body tries to heal.

I tried roller skating once. Once. Never had the desire to learn to ice skate based on the roller skating experience, but I eventually had to attempt to learn (more on this will be expounded upon in a future day's question). I spent more time on the ice than on the skates. Nowadays, as I have to protect my tailbone, I never have to try do either again.

I honestly wish I could skate, but apparently I was not meant to have things attached to my feet.

• Like 9

10th:

Bike: Yes, I was a late learner (12 I think it was).

Swim: Again late learner (probably around 12 again), but yes. My late grandmother took me to the local pool in her town to get me lessons.

Ice + Roller Skating: Nope. I never could get the hang of roller skating as a youth. I tried it as a adult when I was dating my wife & it was still the same results. I have somewhat weak ankles, so that doesn't help any. Just no place around to learn how to ice skate (no rinks here).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

For anyone who can't swim but might like to learn (and doesn't want to spring for lessons for whatever reason), I'd recommend going to a shallow pool (about 4'/1.2m deep) with a friend who is a swimmer and learn how to float on your back. Unless you're in much better shape than most people (under 10% body fat or so), you can float with minimal effort. And because your mouth and nose are out of the water, breathing isn't a problem.

You won't be able to do it right away (you can't bend at the waist or you'll sink, and that feels unnatural at first), but because the bottom is so close, when you have a problem you can just stand up.

After you become more comfortable in the water, when you're sure that you can always turn on your back and float for arbitrary periods, the rest of swimming becomes much more natural. (That's how I taught our son to swim.)

Swimming is a safety skill; it can save your life.

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

For anyone who can't swim but might like to learn (and doesn't want to spring for lessons for whatever reason), I'd recommend going to a shallow pool (about 4'/1.2m deep) with a friend who is a swimmer and learn how to float on your back. Unless you're in much better shape than most people (under 10% body fat or so), you can float with minimal effort. And because your mouth and nose are out of the water, breathing isn't a problem.

You won't be able to do it right away (you can't bend at the waist or you'll sink, and that feels unnatural at first), but because the bottom is so close, when you have a problem you can just stand up.

After you become more comfortable in the water, when you're sure that you can always turn on your back and float for arbitrary periods, the rest of swimming becomes much more natural. (That's how I taught our son to swim.)

Swimming is a safety skill; it can save your life.

I tend to agree. You don't have to be a great swimmer to stay afloat.

• Like 9