Getting to Know You August 2019 presented by MvM

ManvsMini

1 hour ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Considering I have specific foot conditions that require customized footwear, sandals simply aren't something I can wear, so I don't have a dog in the fight. 

What she said.

1 hour ago, Loim said:

Socks and sandals? Go with what works for you. 

Heck yeah. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/10/2019 at 1:33 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 10th:

Can you ride a bicycle, swim or roller/ice skate? If not, would you like to learn?

Back from the weekend to many questions.....

Bicycles: Used to love biking, but was fairly hard on them. 10 speeds in the 80s jumped pretty well but didn't do so well on the landings. Pretty sure a bike accident is what messed up my left shoulder.  Haven't been on my current bike for a few years, but considering bringing it up here to bike to work....a little concerned about the local traffic.  I grew up biking in the country, not so used to city riding.

Swimming: since as young as I can remember.  Grew up a half mile from the shore.

Rollerskating:  I was a teen in the 80s, so yes.  We used to pile in the car and head up to the roller rink in the city....

Ice Skating: I played hockey until I switched to downhill skiing as my main winter sport in grade 8.  I was last on the ice maybe 3 years ago, last parents/kids game with the youngest before he got too old for minor hockey.

On 8/11/2019 at 1:14 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 11th:

If you are flipping channels on TV (aka channel surfing), what movie or show episode will you always stop to watch, despite having already seen it?

Shows: Mythbusters, Forged in Fire, Battlebots....I'll stop and watch every time.

Movies: Anything action-y I'll stop and watch a bit. Any Star Trek or Star Wars. Princess Bride. Python.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:53 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 12th:

What mini is the pride of your collection? (painted or unpainted, still in box, etc, doesn't matter what its status is)

My favorite thing I've ever painted (and my wife's favorite) I only still have as pictures as I sent it off on an exchange, my Rhapsody in Blue piece.
Painted that I have: I'm very happy with my Khanjira, also my Wyrmgear.  Would be a toss up. 

And I cherish every exchange figure I've ever received.  They get a special place all to themselves.

Unpainted, probably my 28mm Dictator as well.  

Half painted....West Wind's Tiger Mecha.

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 13th:

Socks with sandals: a fashion no-no, or heck yeah?

Not a fan of socks with sandals.

Not that I wear sandals often.

Funnily I just spent the weekend with many people wearing socks with sandals.  Motorcycle racers tend to get out of their race boots very quickly so spend most of their time wandering about in full race leathers (usually half off) and socks with sandals. It takes some getting used to.....:blink:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2019 at 12:24 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 8th:

Is there a diorama you have always wanted to build, and if so, what is it?

There's a scene from The Armored Saint where a teen girl in an oversized mech suit is fighting a demon. One of her arms is crushed, the girl she has a crush on is badly injured, and the demon is about to try to kill them both.

On 8/9/2019 at 12:32 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 9th:

What is your favorite way to spend a night alone?

Beer and a movie, or music and painting.

On 8/10/2019 at 12:33 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 10th:

Can you ride a bicycle, swim or roller/ice skate? If not, would you like to learn?

Yes, not for many years

Yes, not well

Yes, also not well

On 8/11/2019 at 12:14 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 11th:

If you are flipping channels on TV (aka channel surfing), what movie or show episode will you always stop to watch, despite having already seen it?

Star Trek

On 8/12/2019 at 8:53 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 12th:

What mini is the pride of your collection? (painted or unpainted, still in box, etc, doesn't matter what its status is)

Dragons don't share 2

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Eh, I think it looks silly, and I won't do it, but whatever.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Well I don't wear sandals unless I'm on the beach, in which case I won't have socks on. But I'm about as fashion unconscious as it gets, so most of the time I don't even notice what is on someone else's feet.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Heck yeah, says I.

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

If you want to expose your feet to the air, why have socks on?

Not so much that I want to expose my feet to the air, but that I need easy on/off functionality at times (running in and out of the house for things, quick trip to the store, doctor's appointment where they might ask you to take them off and you need to do it quickly, etc). Plus, the world is a dirty place; I don't want that all over my bare feet. I wouldn't make a good wolf.

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I hate it when my socks get wet.

That is one of the worst things ever. Nothing can spoil the day like going outside when it is raining, misjudging the depth of a puddle as you cross the street and suddenly having your foot submerged.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

No. Also never wear flip flops unless you're going swimming.

To each his own.

My zori have been worn so much that the rubber surface is slippery and hard to walk on. :rolleyes: Which is pretty impressive with hard rubber.

I need to get a new pair.

15 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

I feel everyone dresses way too casual and do not understand it.

Does your porkpie hat stay on even in a fistfight:poke:

FWIW, I don't necessarily disagree, but for me the weather and local standards govern. I'm perfectly willing to wear an aloha shirt, shorts, and zori in downtown Honolulu, including in a halfway decent restaurant. My choices in Denver would be a bit different, and in London that whole thing would be right out.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Eh.  It's not for me but you do you.

When I wear sandals, it's because it's hot outside.  Wearing socks with sandals defeats any benefit from wearing sandals.  If I need to wear socks, I'll wear shoes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CashWiley said:

MvM...they do make slip on loafers, you know!

Considering that most times my clothes seem inspired by Jack Reacher novels (cheap jeans, tshirt, hoodie, done), loafers would look too sophisticated for me. Now your talk of slip on sneakers sounds very good.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

FWIW, I don't necessarily disagree, but for me the weather and local standards govern. I'm perfectly willing to wear an aloha shirt, shorts, and zori in downtown Honolulu, including in a halfway decent restaurant. My choices in Denver would be a bit different, and in London that whole thing would be right out.

You might be surprised, Doug:

Bobby-Abley-Spring-Summer-2018-London-Fashion-Week-Mens-30-2.thumb.jpg.a2b97d849c1549e32f1719422b05ea42.jpg

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

That is one of the worst things ever. Nothing can spoil the day like going outside when it is raining, misjudging the depth of a puddle as you cross the street and suddenly having your foot submerged.

When I was in elementary school and had to walk about 10 blocks to school in the morning, if it was raining, I'd put plastic sandwich bags over my feet inside my shoes. It helped keep my socks dry.

• Like 8