ManvsMini

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 18th:

What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you?

I don't know about absolute luckiest, but my wife and I went for a walk very late one night and found $250 in cash in the street.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Eating a very bad curry in 1985.

On a ship in the Arabian Gulf, during the Iran-Iraq Tanker War.

Severe case of "Delhi belly" the next day. Raced out of the Engine room and got my pants down, just in time...

At which point a missile hit the ship and took out everybody in the Engine room.

So I probably owe my life to badly refrigerated meat. 

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

31 years ago my place of work went out of business.  This was lucky? Well three months latter I got a job at a hospital. Much better pay, I met and married my wife,  worked there for about 27 years, retired with about the same take home pay.  That was my luck.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Silly answer: having a chance encounter with Sum 41 and not having a clue who they are. 

Non tongue in cheek answer: probably... Hmm, good question, actually.  I'll go with hitting black ice on a downwards incline road, in a top-heavy van with no weight in it... And listening to that voice that was all "I've got a bad feeling about this next corner" and slowed from 50 to 35 kph beforehand.... Hit black ice, and in an instant forwards was behind the b-pillar.  That's right, not only was I looking out the drivers side window for forwards, but my tail lights were leading for a few seconds. 

Way the van swayed my first thought after recovering was "yup, if I'd been doing 50, I would have rolled" since I felt that suspension roll a moderate amount.  Everyone behind me was freaked out - I was just glad once that bad feeling hit I made sure I didn't have anyone in the lane next to me as a precaution, and boy did that caution pay off in spades. 

Oh yeah, after a few seconds, I regained traction, and the vehicle naturally brought the front of the vehicle to what was forwards, more than likely with how I'd instinctively reacted and turned the wheels to try and stop the spin.  A few words were spoken when it happened, but I more or less kept my cool during such. 

Some people find it odd that one of the very first things I do with any new vehicle is find out (in a parking lot) how a vehicle handles when unstable, but it's learning such alongside other/various driver training things that has saved my bacon on at least three separate occasions now.  It's why I despise traction control so much, I've had so many vehicles where I've automatically corrected for something, then traction tried to "help" half a second later. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I were driving in wintry conditions. She attempted to change lanes, determined she couldn't continue to shift lanes and tried to return to the lane she was leaving, but a semi-trailer started coming over into our lane on top of us. She tried to get back into the other lane, wound up going into the shoulder, over-corrected, and proceeded to spin out of control on the interstate, crossing three lanes of traffic and ending up facing towards oncoming traffic. A semi-trailer hit us in the front and proceeded to turn us back around, totaling the front of the car. A second semi-trailer came to a stop about 30' away from us in the other lane. We came out of this without any injuries, though we had to trash the car.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

23 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

That's crazy! How is that possible? (I'd understand if you were born towards the end of '90s/early 2000's, but given that you said you were working in a store in 2003 I'm willing to bet that's not the case... or else someone was in violation of some serious child labor laws.)

I was poor. By the time I had money spend on that sort of thing, VHS had essentially vanished. The job that had the vhs + tv was only my second job, and even then the format had one foot in the grave.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Meeting Mrs. Gargs.

For the non-sappy answer: I was driving one day when there was a bit of snow and ice on the ground. Two lanes going in my direction and there were two cars side by side ahead of me. One of them skidded a bit and fish tailed into the other, causing both to start to lose control. I tried to brake and immediately began to spin. I stopped the spin after a half turn, which allowed me to skid backwards, directly between the two cars ahead of me as they had bounced off each other. I am told it looked really cool. I was just thankful I didn't need a change of clothes afterward.:lol:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

My wife and I were driving in wintry conditions. She attempted to change lanes, determined she couldn't continue to shift lanes and tried to return to the lane she was leaving, but a semi-trailer started coming over into our lane on top of us. She tried to get back into the other lane, wound up going into the shoulder, over-corrected, and proceeded to spin out of control on the interstate, crossing three lanes of traffic and ending up facing towards oncoming traffic. A semi-trailer hit us in the front and proceeded to turn us back around, totaling the front of the car. A second semi-trailer came to a stop about 30' away from us in the other lane. We came out of this without any injuries, though we had to trash the car.

Yikes!

Glad you made it out!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1