Getting to Know You August 2019 presented by MvM

ManvsMini

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for August 27th:

What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten? Was it done on a dare, or were you just curious?

Weirdest thing eaten on a dare: I drank a cup of the "butter" topping they put on your popcorn at movie theaters here in the States for $5 (fyi it isn't real butter, not by a long shot). 18 year-old me did a lot of dumb stuff for money. But had a well-lubricated digestive system for a few days...

Weirdest thing eaten out of curiosity: the Twinkie Wiener Sandwich, as featured in "Weird Al" Yankovic's movie UHF from the '80s. Basically, a hotdog with a Twinkie for the bun, and cheese whiz instead of ketchup/mustard. Surprisingly, not bad at all if you make sure to heat the hotdog. Though I did the tally, a total cholesterol bomb.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I don't really consider any food "weird" but to a traditional American palate, the weirdest thing I've ever eaten...is a little hard to choose. But probably tripe (aka beef tongue). I'm not sure anymore what's considered "weird" to most people.

Where I come from tripe is the lining of a cows stomach. Not something I'd eat everyday, quite bland but nice with onions. The Norman French do a version with calvados that's pretty good too.

• Like 8

I suppose it depends on what you think is "weird". Around here kiwi fruit and green tea cookies are considered strange.  I'm curious and will try just about anything twice -- in case it wasn't made properly the first time.  I've had most of the 'not in the supermarket' options, snake, alligator, octopus, ostrich, grilled eel, bits and pieces of cows and chickens, etc.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten? Was it done on a dare, or were you just curious?

Not sure I've ever really eaten anything that qualifies as weird, though that likely is largely dependent on where you are from I suppose. Oysters on the half shell are thought of as "weird" by a lot of people in my area, but then in my area a lot of people have never seen the ocean and think that fish sticks count as real seafood. 

Personally, I will try most things once, though there will likely be a line drawn somewhere (I'm looking at you haggis).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I suppose it depends on what you think is "weird". Around here kiwi fruit and green tea cookies are considered strange.  

I guess this is sort of related to the question, though only mildly weird; I eat kiwi fruit whole.  Fuzzy skin and all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Thinking about it, perhaps even weirder than the aged steak was... Cheese-whizz.

What the hell is that stuff? Nothing that ever came out of a cow, I hope! 

Ambrosia, obviously, because it's a core ingredient in the Philly Cheese Steak. And since that is a food of the gods, the rest must follow. :B):

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

How do they taste?

Grasshoppers taste like arthropods. Which is mostly to say that they taste more like what they're cooked in than anything else. And they're crunchy, because you don't usually remove the carapace.

The strangest food that I eat when I feel like spending the money (rather than when circumstances dictate) is a pineapple, jalapeno, onion, pepperoni, and extra cheese pizza. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paintybeard said:
2 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I don't really consider any food "weird" but to a traditional American palate, the weirdest thing I've ever eaten...is a little hard to choose. But probably tripe (aka beef tongue). I'm not sure anymore what's considered "weird" to most people.

Where I come from tripe is the lining of a cows stomach. Not something I'd eat everyday, quite bland but nice with onions. The Norman French do a version with calvados that's pretty good too.

Here tripe is the stomach like paintybeard said. I've had it a couple times and it was ok. My mom said the worst was cooking it because it smells a lot like cow poo while cooking. Once it's cooked it's fine. My wife absolutely loves tongue but we used to just through it away when butchering. I've done a lot of vet work on cattle and to me it has a slight smell of cow breath and isn't that appetizing. Both my parents grew up in the time when you didn't waste anything off an animal. 

8 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Are those akin to Rocky Mountain Oysters?

Exactly the same. The way we had them was just roasted over the open fire with a bit of salt and pepper.

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

And diapers aren't that bad (says the woman who was almost peed on today).

We're potty training our almost 2 year old daughter right now. As I love to say S#!t happens. You deal with it. Yesterday though we had a big accident in a public place which wasn't the best. Still got it cleaned u before anybody noticed. She's a great kid so the troubles are worth it.

• Like 11

Locally we have sheep tongues as well, but you need quite a few to press and make a decent meal. Skinning them is... time consuming. gently boiled with plenty of rosemary in the pan, then add a little gelatine before pressing. Lovely at this time of year with a green salad.

Oh, and I take it I'm not alone in enjoying sweetbreads?

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 8

43 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Ambrosia, obviously, because it's a core ingredient in the Philly Cheese Steak. And since that is a food of the gods, the rest must follow. :B):

I'll see your Philly cheese steak and raise you a Carpet-bag steak. :winkthumbs:

• Like 5

I guess I have eaten kangaroo (I cooked it into meatballs), bison, elk, venison, bear, alligator, escargot, eel, and conch snail. Not sure the gator and conch count since both were fried in breaded balls. Was pretty innocuous. Escargot was like chewier mushrooms with antennae. Eel isn't too weird - it is in sushi all the time. Had just a bite of bear; a friend's family had gotten one hunting, and he's cooked some up and shared a piece. Quite gamey.

Not into tripe. Sir Cyr loves it on pho though.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I had a fair amount of weird stuff when I was in Japan. Fried fish, with bones and the head still intact, was definitely really off-putting, though if I just got past the whole "eating the head and burned out eyes" part, I was okay. Natto, however, was really awful. I managed to handle it the first time, no problem, but the next time my host family served it to me, I almost threw up even trying to put it into my mouth. Never touching that again.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I think I once had bear meat without knowing it.

Was visiting Moscow, we went to a shopping mall for lunch, there was a lineup to a small cafeteria style food joint, I pointed at the menu at what I thought was ravioli (or a small dumpling). Ate it, found it had a different flavor than what I expected, didn't think more of it.

Several days later, in St.Petersburg, we had our farewell dinner with our travel group, saw the menu listing "bear meat" in a dish and was curious. So I ordered it, got this ravioli like dish, ate it, and was suddenly reminded of that other dish I had.

Also been to Japan. All the food is weird from our North American point of view, but very tasty (except for their desserts, which are on the blander side).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Burgers version:

12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Emu

I once had an Emu burger. A bar and grill near the building I worked in was advertising them. A number of us were curious, money was pooled, an order was phoned in. 

It was not all that weird but it was very lean. 

4 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I have a policy of trying anything (non-poisonous) once before I'm allowed to say its gross/I don't like it.

I have never accepted this limitation. It served me well during my long, childhood, resistance campaign against Popeye and the Parental Units who were evidently in league with The Canned Spinach Conspiracy. 

Back to burgers:

BK.0.jpg

I absolutely intend to ^ give this a miss. Went straight onto my un-bucket list. I’m not trying it on a dare and I’m not curious enough to go read what’s in it. 

Edited by TGP
0% beef? good grief !!
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1