Discussion about Painting Contest & Nudity

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... Reaper produces miniatures with nudity, but then turns around and requests that we either not display them or otherwise censor them...

... buy our stuff, but just don't admit to it... Odd... :rock:

This is in no way meant as an insult to the people at Reaper. I'm grateful for all the work they do to produce and support these minis.

I don't think Reaper are saying don't display them ( If I understand correctly!? ). I think they're saying by all means show off your nude piccy/miniature/poster etc. ( provided it dosen't go too far obviously ), but provide a link. This is so that a child( and parent ) reading the thread dosen't have said picture just "pop-up", and has sufficient warning not to click that link and look at another show off Mini.

Is my understanding correct ? can I carry on working on my three breasted snake woman ? :wow:

I'd paint in the nude, but exacto knives and Dremmels scare me in that condition.

As for painting nudes, just make certain you use the right paint so the person you're painting doesn't suffocate. Mmmm body paint.

:unsure:

Oh, those kinds of nudes. :blush:

I'd paint in the nude, but exacto knives and Dremmels scare me in that condition.

As for painting nudes, just make certain you use the right paint so the person you're painting doesn't suffocate. Mmmm body paint.

:unsure:

Oh, those kinds of nudes. :blush:

Ary the scary thought it I was thinking the same thing as you! ::o::lol:::D::blink:

No wonder we are twins! :lol:

Oh and chocolate syrup works just as well as the body paint. *ahem*

Nudity is liberating. Nothing like sitting around like Victor Hugo, brush in one hand, mini in the other...

*NOTE: Victor Hugo, author of such classics as The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Les Miserables, would, in times of writer's block, lock every stitch of clothing he had away so that he could not leave until he had gotten through his block.

As Kevin so aptly stated in another post, (paraphrased) the written word leaves much room for individual interpretation. With that said, I've read these posts regarding the Reaper contest and am at a loss.

I honestly can't tell how far this topic is being taken in jest or in serious concern.

I consider Zaphod and Whiz to be two of the best painters on this forum and feel certain they have forgotten more about painting than I have learned to date. So, if this is all in good fun (and several pages of text) then I am quite relieved.

I don't know about the "other" contest Zaphod referred to with his simple rules, but isn't this a "strictly" Reaper hosted, Reaper sponsored and Reaper peeps judged contest?

It makes sense that only a straight Reaper figure .. nude or not would be allowed.

GW doesn't supply prizes for any of the winners.

I agree Zaphod's Beast is a great figure and a very good conversion, but it hurts me to "think" (again, how "I" am reading into the posts ::(: ) that he would reply with "then I just won't enter anymore". He could have posted that in a moment of haste, but it keeps resounding in my head.

It was bad enough when the Off Topic section got all bothered by differences in political views earlier in the year, this seems so petty to me. You guys (and gals) are "Master Class" painters. You take a step back when you start picking apart these rules like we are. Look at ALL the entries. Very different skills levels. Maybe split the Reaper Painting contest like the painting classes ... by skill levels. (Beg, Int, Adv)

Regardless, please tell me that this topic will not have a lasting effect on everyone. :down:

Regardless, please tell me that this topic will not have a lasting effect on everyone. :down:

Well, I wasn't going to respond any longer in this thread, but since you ask, Ich (and I like you very much), I'll answer.

Unfortunately, it may not be what you want to hear...

Truth be told, there wasn't any jest intended on my part. I wanted to air a greivance. I just handled this grievance *very* badly. I didn't articulate myself well, which is common when I'm tired, angry, etc. I also didn't control my emotions, which is common when I'm stressed.

Not that it's any excuse, but I've been out flat for the entire month at my day job. Just getting killed on a schedule because of someone else's incompetence. How it became *my* emergency is beyond me. Regardless, I'm at wits' end for it in so many aspects of my life right now. And because of this, I lashed out in this thread. I wish I hadn't. You've all seen me in such action before. I'm a lit fuse in need of some therapy. :wacko: Forgive me. I'm admittedly a bit of a schmuck.

Now then, no matter the regret of my volatile nature, my sentiment still holds true. I'm very concerned about how Zaphod was disqualified. I'm very concerned about rule #2's interpretation. I'm very concerned about it's current clarification.

I was quite pleased the last time a rule question was raised and clarified. All participants in violation of the intent of the rule were allowed to continue participating. The clarification took effect the following month. Very fair. Very accommodating.

This time, however, participants in violation of the rule -- a rule IMO with an intent that was certainly far more open to interpretation than the prior incident's rule -- were DQ'ed without a second chance. This isn't fair to my mind. Especially when a previous winning entry seems to have a foreign manufacturer's part as a prop on its base.

Nor is the present clarification really clear or consistent.

At any rate, as I say my sentiment still holds true. I'm angry about this development, and the joy in what always seemed to me a "fun" contest has diminished. As such, I raised my concerns about other things without really drawing a clear parallel between them.

I wish I had articulated myself better. I never really said "I'm hoping to throw some light on what I perceive to be double standards." I instead simply started blathering on about what I perceived as another rule inconsistency. I should have said... "I'm angry/concerned about this discrepancy because of this other discrepancy. Can we please have some consistency?"

I didn't do this because... well... I was too hasty. Something an ent will tell you is foolish and undesireable. There's a thing or two to be learned from ents, I think...

I also think, perhaps, I should have delivered my grievance to the powers that be rather than starting a stink in the public forum. There's my knee-jerk reactiveness for you. Or at the very least, I wish I had tried to be *less* inflammatory. I just let my anger get away with me too often. Stupid. ::(: Hasty. Hasty. Hasty. Hooommmm. Hooommmm.

Anyhoo(m), I think for my part I need to step away from the forums indefinitely. Maybe for good.

My ire on a number of counts has been growing over the past couple of months and I've found myself spending less and less time here and more and more at other places. I think I should just continue this. Judging from ReaperMatt's response, I don't believe that many of the things that concern me about the Reaper boards are going to change, and so I'll continue to be irked.

And that's fine. This isn't my forum. It isn't my contest. I don't have the right to complain about anything.

Besides, too many of you here are getting too good. [best super hero voice] My work here is done... [/best super hero voice] :lol: I need to go polish up my painting skills and take them to the next level before you lot start entering the competitions I hope to enter.... :B):

So, you'll need pardon me, Ich, but I'm done. For now. Maybe for good. I just don't feel this is my home anymore. There are other forums with less heavy-handed moderation. There are other contests with clear, concise rules. And well, 2500 posts is quite enough, don't you think? :rolleyes:

:lol:

As a moderator, I have been one of the lightest-handed mods I have ever seen, and LSH and LS haven't been much harsher. You want heavy-handed moderation? Try ISCA BBS, for those of you who still remember text-only BBS.

As a moderator of these forums, I have no control whatsoever over the Painting Contest, nor do I want it.