Sign in to follow this  
stormbreach

Advice on Bones Dryad 77265 (linked for nudity)

Warnings first, this image is linked for nudity.  I would like to ask for advice on this mini.  I might be finished or I might have to go back and paint her all over again.  I wanted her to look like bare wood, like raw lumber because she is part of the tree.  I wanted it to look kind of like she was the inside wood of the tree coming out through the bark but I think she ended up looking a little like regular skin.  So my question is does she look okay or should I paint her green instead to keep her from looking human?  Thanks for any advice you can offer.  Please also be advised, it isn't the best image but it gets the idea across.

https://imgur.com/a/5CNeff6

Just my opinion, i think the darker parts on her look more like the wood. The lighter brown does look like a nice brown skin colour, it would be great on humans. Could you blend the transition between the mini and the tree, overshoot the tree colours onto her where she connects to it a bit? Or maybe keep the colours but glaze on some wood grain effects?

Nice work anyway!

P.S. I've been looking for a paint that shade of warm brown you have on the tree, can you tell me what colour it is? (the base colour not the highlight)

• Like 2

Thanks Avriel.  I'm pretty sure the brown I used on the tree was 09029, Earth Brown MSP.  I would love to paint wood grain on her but I really don't think I have the skill for that.  I think she would end up looking like a brown/beige zebra.  My mom (I'm 44 but still show my minis to my mom lol) suggested painting some knots on her but then I said she'd look polka dotted lol.  I think I might be able to paint some of the wood/bark coming up on her hips with a veiny effect to emphasize that she's coming out of the tree so she doesn't look so much like a naked lady hanging out in a tree.  I guess I have some thinking and maybe some experimenting to do.  Anyone else have any ideas?

• Like 1

Here she is with a beginning of wood grain.  I don't know if I like it.  Maybe with more wood grain colours to give more contrast, and I don't know if I will be putting a brown wash over her to give some shadows, that would likely kill an effect this subtle.  I dunno, I think she's starting to look kind of tiger-y so I might just paint her green.  Again, linked for nudity.

https://imgur.com/a/ebAfmG7

you may want to try wet-blending the wood color to her "skin" color, like she's emerging from the tree?  Not sure if that's the angle you're aming for, tho

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By UnreliableNarrator
      Hey! So I've been putting paint to minis for about two months, and I've yet to finish one up satisfactorily. So I thought I'd come here and ask y'all for some C&C for a struggling newbie.

The Tiefling is an NPC baddie for my DM, and I'm struggling trying to get more detail on his face. I tried adding highlights to his t-zone to make it less flat but getting detail in such a tiny space is driving me mad. I'm also not happy with the highlights on the tail. How do ppl do faces on minis without much detail to the sculpt? 

I've been struggling with transitions and blending/glazing. On the mouseling the transitions are supposed to be glazing but it just comes out more of a wash with a heavy load of pigment where it settles. I've tried wet blending, but I don't know how to get that on smaller or more detailed/textured areas.

I'm a lot happier with my skelly boys, and I'm going to try NMM on the swords. I'm wondering how to reduce the shininess on the varnish (the middle one). I'm using Vallejo matte varnish, but there are still reflections under light.

Thanks so much if you've read down all the way here! I know I've got a long way to go, so I'm looking forward to any and all C&C.

Edit: Cut this down to just the ones I'm not happy with, and need advice on.
    • By stormbreach
      So here is the latest finished mini.  What I originally wanted was for her to have a pale-wood colour to her skin, as if she was the inside wood of the tree coming out through the bark.  So I basically wanted her to look like bare lumber.  Unfortunately she turned out looking like nicely tanned human skin and I didn't want her to look like a naked human lady hanging out in a tree.  So then I tried to paint her a little darker and paint some wood grain on her but then she looked a little like a tiger.  So instead of getting hung up on her and stalling out I decided to paint her flesh green and move on.  So I like how she turned out and on this mini I did some highlighting instead of calling her finished after the Strong Tone wash because someone called me out on it recently.  So this one is for you, @Sanael 

https://imgur.com/a/hpJ8P4x
    • By Rigel
      Well, I figured that the market for cactus-folk was small enough that I shouldn't wait on it, so I decided to get to work on a Saguaro Cowboy and a Cactus Dryad. I got the inspiration to get up and get to work when I saw a picture of a crested saguaro:

which really settled the question of "how do I put dryad hair on a cactus lady and make it work?" 
      Twisted up an armature for a dude and a lady, 

and started slapping green stuff on.

Here's a very rough outline of the dryad's torso with a preliminary series of grooves, almost none of which will probably make it to the finished product.

Both she and the lariat-wielding saguaro vaquero will have blunt, stubby feet and arms with little muscle or joint definition, both because that's how saguaros do and because I am...not a professional sculptor by a long chalk. 

C&C welcome; this is the rough draft of the first draft of each of them and I'll be doing a lot of trimming and repositioning, no doubt.
    • By Dr_Automaton
      So the stars have aligned and Mudgullet has been released just in time for my group's Tomb of Annihilation playthrough.  I'm planning on going for a simple, suitably froghemoth-y color scheme but have realized that my palette is lacking in the greens department.  Oh, no!

So, time to remedy this.  What should I grab from the MSP and Bones paint lines to give me a good selection of greens, while limiting the number of colors I need to buy (maybe 3-5 bottles this purchase)?  What are some of the colors you folk tend to reach for, with an eye towards versatility?  The Power Palette is only as good as the swatches it pulls from, and it's been my experience that Reapers paint swatches are very hit or miss, unfortunately.

Thanks!
    • By DavePgh
      I hear horror stories about people getting frozen bottles of paint. Is there any way to tell if the paint has been frozen prior to using it? I was concerned about this when I did my holiday paint order, but it was a little unseasonably warm the day they were delivered. What does frozen paint look like & is there a way to salvage it if it has been frozen?
  • Who's Online   46 Members, 5 Anonymous, 253 Guests (See full list)