Sign in to follow this  
Avriel

Dragon bronze going cloudy white?

Hi everyone,

I got a bottle of Dragon Bronze to try out the reaper metallics and I'm having some issues with it, specifically it seems to turn into a cloudy white film (sometimes a sparkly white film) half the time. I find I have to use it straight within about 30 seconds and just glob it on for this not to happen as often. I've tried thinning with water, lahmian medium and matte medium, and using it on a wet pallette, all of which seem to make it worse. Leaving it on the palette for any length of time also seems to guarantee this will happen. I did notice it separates very quickly within the bottle - like 5 minutes - so i shake it like mad before every use.

Has anyone encountered this? Could it be the metallic medium and/or binder separating from the pigment really quickly and if so do you have any suggestions to stop it happening but still have a bit more control over the paint?? It's a nice colour when it works, almost a brassy-gold bronze so I''d like to find a way to make it work.

Cheers,

Avriel

Some of my metallics do the same thing and I'd love to know why and how to make them more workable. 

How long do you shake it?

I give my Reaper metallics a good 2 minutes or more if I do it by hand.  

If I want to thin them I use Vallejo Thinner Medium.  

I absolutely NEVER use water with them. Small amounts may work OK but just one more drop and suddenly the flakes falls out of suspension and the paint is ruined. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I shake it a lot - I've got some scale75 metallic paints so I'm used to shaking until my arm almost drops off lol. It helps but still, if I don't use it in 30 seconds its cloudy again. I'll keep trying, maybe I just need to paint faster. Out of curiosity do any metallic paints last well on a wet palette?

I've got one of those electric spin shakers, so it gets mixed well.   I've noticed the old formula metals hold up on a wet palette much better than the newest ones.  There are some (one con-only silver comes to mind) that dry or separate (or whatever they're doing) almost immediately. 

It seems my craft paint metals stay good and mixed the longest.  The specialty paints are much worse. This is true of the colorshift metals too. The ones I got at Michael's rarely need shaking, the TurboDork are unusable after a few minutes out of the bottle.  Even on a wet palette. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Avriel said:

Out of curiosity do any metallic paints last well on a wet palette?

P3 Metallics seem to work pretty well for me. And they're one of my favorite lines for metallics as well. (NB{ I always use a wet palette because high-plains semi-arid climate.)

• Like 3