Nightwing

GW Knights of the Empire 074095/17: Sword 11

This old Games Workshop mini is from about 1986. I think I had gotten him in a pack of minis because I have several others from the same line. I think I bought the pack mainly for this guy. He was my favorite, and I painted him solid black with silver trim. 

This time, I went with copper colored armor. A long time ago I wasn’t down with the big snake on his head so I chopped it off. I used paperclip and some contour putty to resculpt it here. The shield glued on to a round knob on his fist. Trying to figure out how to incorporate that unconcealable circle on the shield, I went with a simple eye motif. 

Please let me know regarding the flaming sword. I made the flame with hot glue. I think flames are brightest/hottest at the base and fade to black smoke at the top. I’m not sure how well this paint job imitates Fire, so comments on how to improve would be greatly appreciated. 

3500C338-ACFA-4DB7-9C11-F7CE111EF675.jpeg

B3F1591C-F317-4F32-8F88-FE912D86D6E9.jpeg

• Like 21

I think he's mostly great.  The only thing I would change is the tips of the fire.  I don't think I would go black for smoke because it doesn't look like smoke, it looks like high flame.  I think I would change those parts to red.  Nice work on the rest of him!

• Like 1

Great work, added conversion.

There definitely is an argument that what you have sculpted resembled a tongue of flame more than smoke, but the painting tells the story.  I think the length of that one long part of flavor is a little out of proportion to the rest of the flame, but as I thought about it, it gives the impression that he has swung the sword and the flame on the top being longest then can make sense.

Nice copper armor.

• Like 1