Sign in to follow this  
BLZeebub

Ruined building terrain (pic-heavy-ish)

This is just something that's been on the SoS for an embarrassing amount of time.  Finally making the effort to finish it up and move on.  Materials are corrugated cardboard on a base of stiff cardboard/MDF.  Rebar from paperclips.  Rocks, gravel, and sand, and a straw for the pipe.  Spray primed with black, wet brushed with gray hobby paint.  Next will be some highlights and a wash, some vegetation, and done.  Reaper Bones skelie for skale!  Pardon the rigged light box--lots of other house projects have my hobby room crammed with crap at the moment.

20190803_165438.thumb.jpg.8d1b2cd526d11c94a52999a036d2fd78.jpg20190803_165526.thumb.jpg.15365f0aebc6e232d3417e8fb71621b1.jpg20190803_165457.thumb.jpg.be2fbbf03aefdcbd41c3a84282cbbfae.jpg

Edited by BLZeebub
wetbrushing is not drybrushing
  • Like 9

A quick drybrush of pure white hobby paint, aiming to really pick up the contrast and add some disorder to the large blank spaces.  Next I washed the outer wall with a deep, reddish brown mix that I made (mostly Chocolate Bar.  The inner walls and debris got a wash of stony gray (Pewter Gray), and the ground/dirt received a wash of mostly Country Tan.  Most of the "hobby paints" I allude to for this are by Apple Barrel.  I ordered the pics side by side this time with the white dry brush on the left and the washes on the right--from the pics the effect is VERY subtle, but the first one captures it fairly well.  I don't remember if it was done in these pics, but I also did a heavy gray wash on the corner pieces on three sides.  More to come soon!  Comments and critiques welcome.

20190804_181026.thumb.jpg.efa928976640eafdd41d104189543b61.jpg20190807_071327.thumb.jpg.4251f2e3224e184fcae99143c292bf6d.jpg20190804_181037.thumb.jpg.1a6e02cc7b61ea23b3fc4943c699a057.jpg20190807_071343.thumb.jpg.b27bf332393c3ce449189f1b5377a471.jpg20190804_181056.thumb.jpg.9572a18758e5916d07ddd569d4b1d207.jpg20190807_071405.thumb.jpg.78f2764687ce23bf86fb810efcb9c377.jpg

• Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BLZeebub
      Here's the finished product.  WIP here:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/88136-blzeebub-builds-another-bird-boxbegin/&tab=comments#comment-1870132  I made this as a wedding gift for some friends.  I think they'll dig it and maybe you will too.

More moss!  I added a stained bottom for easy attachment to a post.  I also decided to enrich the wood of the door and slapped some wood stain on it for depth of color.  The metal I roughed up a bit with sandpaper and sprayed with a solution of salt, hydrogen peroxide, and vinegar to speed oxidation.  Though the ridge cap is galvanized steel and the chimney is aluminum, so who knows what that oxidation will actually look like!  Questions, comments, critiques always welcome!

• By BLZeebub
      So...gonna make this a WIP though it's technically done as of yesterday.  At the risk of becoming the "birdhouse guy" I opted to skip the registry of household (comm)oddities and make a bluebird nesting box for my friends' wedding.  I think they'll appreciate it.

I wanted a kind of whimsical, cottage style--the crazy roof being the focus.  After much perusing of images of "fairy house," "magic cottage," and the like I settled on a basic design.   I used a jigsaw to cut out the front and back walls from 1/2" plywood.  Side walls are similarly non-square.  Wood glue and finishing nails later and I had a frame.

While that dried I soaked some 5mm (1/4") plywood in hot water long enough to soften it and bent it slowly onto the frame, clamped it for a day, and glued and nailed.  Repeated for the other side.  The two sides of ply were differently happy to take a curve so I acquiesced to the wood.  Some peeling of the outer ply occurred, but later I scraped that off.

For the rocks, I took some "river pebbles" from the local big box hardware store, rinsed off the dust and began applying with heavy duty landscaping adhesive (might have actually been Liquid Nails brand--I've used it before for the same effect).  Let these cure and catch up with other life for a few days then on to the other sides!

• By lexomatic
      I know about the craft article on filling a bucket with sand and spraying foam in the space carved out.  I don't have a ton of time so didn't do that. I DID take a few sheets of parchment paper, a few sections of plastic fruit containers lined with parchment paper, and sprayed a can's worth of expanding insulation foam to make some hills.
      Because of needing to get by with a stroller, foam was packed up after an hour to continue curing.

In a few days I'll seal with brown craft paint and modgepodge, then experiment with flocking.

• By BLZeebub
      This is something I started working on a looong time ago.  I finally made the push to get it done and get it out--probably donating it to one of the FLGSs.  WIP  here:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/87566-ruined-building-terrain-pic-heavy-ish/
      I wasn't trying to get too, too fancy with this.  Rather I began with the intent to see how quickly I could make a good enough piece of terrain.  Had I not taken a year-long hiatus from it I may have succeeded, as I think that barring drying times I have around.
      You can see a Bones skele or to lurking around for scale.  I was having a challenging time with my camera and the lighting (room is kind of in disarray at the moment), so I have a few different exposures here.
      Had a lot of fun with the fiddly bits like the graffiti, wire conduit, and dead plants.
      In the fist and second pics you can even see one of my new backgrounds in the...background--too bad I made it for a standard mini, not a large building.
      Questions, comments, critiques welcome!

• Who's Online   25 Members, 6 Anonymous, 59 Guests (See full list)