Sign in to follow this  
BLZeebub

Dark background for photography

Finished this a while ago actually, but am just now posting the finished product.  I got a bug and am now making a few variations on these--just on art paper for the moment, but I wouldn't mind having them printed on neoprene or something a little more durable.  Now I just need more minis to photo in front of them!  Let me know what you think.  WIP here:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/83003-attempting-to-paint-generic-backgrounds-for-miniature-photography/&tab=comments#comment-1760821

20181203_165459.thumb.jpg.887e8984e142333fa67a7d2ad9715873.jpg

• Like 11

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sirithiliel
      Neat sculpts, the next KS is going to be fun

I wish Reaper's breakdown of judging criteria actually reflected how high bases score. Looking at their little percentage breakdown, you would never know that the base was so important . 
    • By SilentCircle
      Greetings and Salutations fellows Miniature Hobbyists! 

I have been seeking Online Miniatures Painting Contests, if any exist, and have all but come up short!

I am familiar with many of the competitions which are available for “In Person” entries only, but I’m extremely limited on my availability to travel. 

I am a novice painter. I use miniature painting to help with my PTSD. I was told that there are competitions which one could submit entries online, but I have had little to no luck finding any that are up and coming, or still exist at all.

Can anyone please assist? Thank you in advance! ✌️
    • By BLZeebub
      Newly finished, WIP here:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/87616-making-another-background-for-photographing-miniatures/

This whole piece went faster and easier than the first.  This final step was using a very heavily watered Burnt Sienna (Apple Barrel) with (too much) dish soap.  I usually aim for a small drop or two, but this ended up with a squirt!  So using my sponge to apply, it actually sudded up pretty bad, but I was able to poke at the bubbles and blow them off the paper to get basically what I envisioned.  I'll call it a win!

What I don't know is whether to call it.  Is it finished sandstone or yellowed parchment?  Suggestions on names?  Next theme?  Anything?  Enjoy!

• By BLZeebub
      Second background, in progress.  Started with tape to control swelling and rolling.  First coat was brushed (1.5" cheap brush from hobby store) with a mix of gesso, water, and Patio Paint Fiesta Yellow (probably a dab of khaki to dull the tone too).  After a day or two to dry I used a chunk of construction sponge to cover the paper with a mix of water, pva glue, a drop of dish soap (helps with rings at this consistency, or so I believe), and Ceramcoat Raw Sienna (possibly some Apple Barrel Nutmeg too for redness).  Swiped the whole thing for coverage, then blotted, dragged, and blew as it dried a bit to achieve the variation in texture you see.  This one is going great, I must say.  The first one I did didn't look like the image in my mind until about 7 steps in, and never quite looked right.  Question, comments, critiques welcome!

• Who's Online   22 Members, 2 Anonymous, 174 Guests (See full list)