Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Back again with some spiders!
I tried out Rangers of Shadow Deep last night and got to break out my spider minis. I've got a few Giant Spiders and Spider Swarms from the D&D board games Castle Ravenloft, and Legend of Drizzt respectively.
I had started these ages ago but quickly became dissatisfied with the direction they were headed. A few months ago I picked them back up and went in a different direction.
The giant spiders in particular were letting me down. The sculpt is pretty undefined. It took some freehand fur work to bring it to life. I also switched from a warm brown tone to a cool grey. I think the added contrast makes them stand out a lot better.
I also added some used dryer sheets as webbing. It's mostly successful. The super glue turned it invisible in places which sort of works as holes in the web. Definitely will revisit this idea again in future projects.
The spider swarms are less successful. I tried to keep three distinct colorations to help them stand apart from one another. But with such poorly defined details, they could have used more contrast. They work well enough. Maybe I'll revisit them, but I tend to just move on after calling something "good enough."
What do you all do for swarm minis? I find that most of mine look rather drab or incomprehensible.
For your consideration I present my take on the Golan, Hill Giant. This was painted by me as part of a contest for a Twitch streamer I follow. The challenge was to push your boundaries and do something you had never done before. I chose this model because I had never worked on something with this much skin before and I really needed to practice my skin tones. I went with a more earthy look in the color pallet and am pretty happy with how it turned out. C&C welcome
Working on the Stone Giant. I'm looking for any constructive criticism but especially of the highlighting on the flesh. Not sure if I am finished or if it needs more highlights on the flesh. Everything else just is base colors and has not been worked on other than that. He came missing the the left hand and club.
My exchange partner this time around was @Corporea. She was one of those troublesome ones that are fine with anything. This of course means that I am free to do anything, so what I did was use her as an excuse to test out airbrushing my Vallejo Air Metallics. Because of that this mini is a little more metallic than I might have otherwise done. The aluminum didn't want to airbrush, or hand brush for that matter, so I may have a bad bottle. Other than that they all worked as expected. I.e. you can create a TMM effect by combining these paints with a regular paint for the shadows.
I also tried my hand at a mosaic tile base. The area I started with isn't as good as the rest of the base, but seeing as I am already late I didn't go back and take even more time to repaint that area. Overall I thought it turned out pretty well, though I don't believe I'll be doing it on cork again. While I thought the imperfections in the surface could work as missing tiles, in practice they just ended up being in inconvenient places.
But unfortunately I had to stick a mini on it.
Full frontal metal shiny.
And rotating around for those that want to look.
I also attempted to create the look of texture by applying leather colors in a series of parallel lines. I kind of liked it but at the same time I'm not sure that it comes across as any particular type of texture.
And that's it for my 2019 exchange. Next year I might even try to be on time.
Who's Online 23 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)