72moonglum

Ral Partha Female Adventurer

Fantastic! The way you paint this old models is simply excellent! very nice ;)

• Like 2

Great paint job on that beautiful model. I like how discrete the sling is dissimulated on her shoulder ready to be used. I like the contrasting yellow of the skirt and the expression on her face.

• Like 1

This is amazing. Both Guthrie and Partha are underrated imo. I always loved how Partha and now Iron Winds always did more with less. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

She looks mighty fine!

Thank you Glitterwolf!

5 hours ago, Cicciopiu said:

Fantastic! The way you paint this old models is simply excellent! very nice ;)

For whatever reason, I’ve been always attracted to these older minis. Maybe it’s because I’m a product of the eighties in my teenage life, but I think mainly it’s because they are such great figures!

1 hour ago, Metalchaos said:

Great paint job on that beautiful model. I like how discrete the sling is dissimulated on her shoulder ready to be used. I like the contrasting yellow of the skirt and the expression on her face.

Thank you Metalchaos!  One of the sling aspects in the front of the figure is under her hand, I wasn’t sure if it was the metal shoulder pad or part of the sling, so I ended up deciding for the sling and gave it the leather color. Hopefully I guessed correctly!

With the skirt, I made sure to keep a different color than the leather downhanging doojobbies, just to add a bit of variety.

1 hour ago, Loim said:

This is amazing. Both Guthrie and Partha are underrated imo. I always loved how Partha and now Iron Winds always did more with less. 

I think Julie Guthrie is an absolute sculpting goddess!   Partha may be a bit underrated these days for lack of much current activity, but back in the eighties, they were the company that made the coolest independent miniatures.   Back in the day, I was a real Tom Meier fan with their Personalities and Things that Go Bump in the Night range, while I wasn’t as inspired by Julie Guthrie’s range All Things Dark and Dangerous. Nowadays however I’ve really learned to appreciate Guthrie’s softer, rounder style from the eighties, and if you look at what she’s done more recently, with Reaper and Dark Sword for example, she has a very unique style that has mostly lost that roundness and has become more “realistic”.  My two cents as an art critic! 

• Like 6

Beautiful skin tones and face - and those black boots look so supple! Another splendid paintup of an older mini!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iridil said:

Beautiful skin tones and face - and those black boots look so supple! Another splendid paintup of an older mini!

Thanks Iridil, the boot started as black, then got a dark elf shadow application, then after that ritterlich blue, then some other blues, grays, and eventually white!

• Like 1

Moonglum, I especially like the contrast on her leather skirt.

Speaking of Ral Partha, one of the things they were known for was having good molds and taking good care of them. I've heard them comment on this during one of my early factory visits.

Being a dedicated grognard means I also appreciate older figs such as this. A lot of my figs that I plan to paint one day, yeah, for sure, are made out of lead. Guess I better get a move on!

• Like 2

I think Ral Partha gets a bad rap and honestly, some of their earlier minis were oddly posed (the one-arm-up one-arm-down mind flayer) and weren't the greatest.  But there were a few I loved and this one is amazing!  It isn't as dynamic as a lot of modern minis but that works for it so well, the understated vibe is perfect.  And your paint job couldn't be more perfect either, soft blends that complement the softness of the mini, everything about this is just perfect!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Madog Barfog said:

Moonglum, I especially like the contrast on her leather skirt.

Speaking of Ral Partha, one of the things they were known for was having good molds and taking good care of them. I've heard them comment on this during one of my early factory visits.

Being a dedicated grognard means I also appreciate older figs such as this. A lot of my figs that I plan to paint one day, yeah, for sure, are made out of lead. Guess I better get a move on!

Yeah, I've been to their plant a few times and they have some of their master molds almost since the inception of the company.

Yeah, you really need to get started and sharing some photos.  These kinds of things should not be done in a vacuum, not with the internet out there and existing.

11 hours ago, Stonebred said:

Looking great! I love the shading and highlights on the skin. What a great mini. 

Thanks Stonebred, the mini is truly a great one!

10 hours ago, stormbreach said:

I think Ral Partha gets a bad rap and honestly, some of their earlier minis were oddly posed (the one-arm-up one-arm-down mind flayer) and weren't the greatest.  But there were a few I loved and this one is amazing!  It isn't as dynamic as a lot of modern minis but that works for it so well, the understated vibe is perfect.  And your paint job couldn't be more perfect either, soft blends that complement the softness of the mini, everything about this is just perfect!!

I don't know where their bad rap would have come from. I kind of left the miniature hobby from around 1986-2004, so wasn't witness to much of went on with them and how they lost licenses and such and changed owners, then closed then reopened and such. As far as poses, sure there are some odd ones out there but at the same time, it was the early days of miniature and they worked with what they had and with the limitations of the times.  Look at the insanely great sculptors that came out around that time that worked for Ral Partha, Tom Meier, Julie Guthrie, Sandra Garrity, Dennis Mize (RIP), who continued working in the miniature industry after they left Ral Partha only to enrich the art form even more.

And thanks for the kind words on the paint job Stormbreach, very much appreciate it!

• Like 3

Yeah, I'd heard it was now possible to post images online, just not sure how... I'm joking, I used to run a web design company.

Anyway,  I do miss my real camera and my paint backdrop. The good news is I'm moving back in with my second ex-wife (we've been on again, off again for a while and are trying it again), so my stuff is coming out of storage a little bit at a time. The good news is my painting table (and hers) are up and running, so at least I can make some progress on some figures. 

I do expect to post something in the future. I'm just not sure when.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 4:06 PM, Madog Barfog said:

Yeah, I'd heard it was now possible to post images online, just not sure how... I'm joking, I used to run a web design company.

Anyway,  I do miss my real camera and my paint backdrop. The good news is I'm moving back in with my second ex-wife (we've been on again, off again for a while and are trying it again), so my stuff is coming out of storage a little bit at a time. The good news is my painting table (and hers) are up and running, so at least I can make some progress on some figures. 

I do expect to post something in the future. I'm just not sure when.

Yup, amazing things that you can find on the Google!

Well congratulations on your romantic renewal, maybe that extra amour will inspire you to painting!

• Like 1