Sign in to follow this  
Knight of the Dinner Table

Desert of the Dead, fantasy wargaming miniatures!

I really do not see that big of a problem:

image.png.988bd416bb9a69c96dddc636e7cf3ee9.png

image.png.dab841aa60055a6c95cbf914bbd2a55e.png

Don't paint the beard white/grey, but black and I doubt that wizard looks THAT old.

Furthermore: Concept and sculpt and Kickstarter ...

and: it's a miniature that will probably be smaller than 28mm ... so I don't really care that much about one or two more wrinkles in the face.

Personally, I don't the the sculpt as "older", I see it as more "jolly".

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

I really do not see that big of a problem:

image.png.988bd416bb9a69c96dddc636e7cf3ee9.png

image.png.dab841aa60055a6c95cbf914bbd2a55e.png

Don't paint the beard white/grey, but black and I doubt that wizard looks THAT old.

Furthermore: Concept and sculpt and Kickstarter ...

and: it's a miniature that will probably be smaller than 28mm ... so I don't really care that much about one or two more wrinkles in the face.

Personally, I don't the the sculpt as "older", I see it as more "jolly".

So, i was gonna post this very thing last night... but I decided not to get the halflings so didn't comment. I think he is a little more round in the face, but not really "old" looking. 

So the original render is different but I don't know if he is really younger looking.

I am still debating on the 220mm Desert Titan. I don't have a practical use for it... But I want it... Problem is I have too many other wants right now too. 

Untitled.png

Edited by Smokestack

Here is the initial render of the sorcerer and the current “updated” one.

5890929f5875e4433a0cf3f120aaca7e_origina

d76d15666fc66487fd0857a06e238d82_origina

Now the first one isn’t exactly a teenager but he’s clearly much younger than the second one. And it looks like that aging-up process is the only change between the figures so I guess they must have had some reason for doing it.

I’m just so disappointed because it’s hard to find good, interesting halfling miniatures to use as a PC figure, and this one would have been perfect, but now it’s got NPC written all over it. 

It’s also annoying because I’ve already bought and paid for the miniature based upon its initial design and render, and then they go and change it. 

I guess I should be thankful I learned an inexpensive lesson in waiting for the final, final render of something before paying for it.

So, I can understand about a concept changing being disappointing. Back during the original Relic Knights kickstarter, the one ran by CMON, they had a Candy miniature wearing a karate Gi. I liked the concept. It was simple, I had a plan to make a monk character for my pathfinder game..., Half way through the campaign, the concept art was taken down. I did not think anything of it as there was no reason to change the concept and nothing had been stated about a change... towards the end of the campaign they started showing a concept of Candy dressed like Chun-Li from street fighter. which is what they ended up going with... not what I wanted... But, on the bright side, all the minis came out mostly crappy anyway so I would have been disappointed no matter what... :(

As far as the halfling. I don't really see an issue, but... if you no longer like him, contact the creator. They may let you switch him out for something else.

• Like 1

I went back to check the price they wanted for the titian - a little more than  I want to spend on the big one,  but boy are there a lot of models I would like to add to my pledge. 

the fact that I just started a darksun game likely has something to do with it. 

in really increases the use I would get out of scantily clad elves on dinos. 

despite the forum name, I don't actually like painting halflings.  so the ones offered here don't tempt me. 

• Haha 2

Steamforged was the king of final miniatures not matching concept art in the initial Guild Ball KS.. part of the reason I'm not a fan of SFG

The titan is almost borderline too busy for me.. but then I think about Queen of Malifica from Creature caster and how much i love that sculpt.. I just dont know if I need to drop the cash for the 220mm vs the standard size..

• Like 1

After lots of searching 

the base RPG pledge: 

has enough elves to create useful encounters, has enough mummies to make my battle sphinx (current pledge)  less lonely 

a few of the cool concepts like anubis & gorgons that would be fun to have. 

add-on 1 elf hero riding a raptor of flying mount. 10/20$ 

- but so many of each army unit I don't want. 

and it would really tear into my bones budget. 

leaving this here for further reflection. 

pledge.png

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Smokestack said:

So, I can understand about a concept changing being disappointing. Back during the original Relic Knights kickstarter, the one ran by CMON, they had a Candy miniature wearing a karate Gi. I liked the concept. It was simple, I had a plan to make a monk character for my pathfinder game..., Half way through the campaign, the concept art was taken down. I did not think anything of it as there was no reason to change the concept and nothing had been stated about a change... towards the end of the campaign they started showing a concept of Candy dressed like Chun-Li from street fighter. which is what they ended up going with... not what I wanted... But, on the bright side, all the minis came out mostly crappy anyway so I would have been disappointed no matter what... :(

As far as the halfling. I don't really see an issue, but... if you no longer like him, contact the creator. They may let you switch him out for something else.

Haha I’m glad you could find the silver lining with that Candy figure. I’ve bought a bunch of the other figures from this campaign though so I hope it doesn’t come true for this one. :lol:

I think I’ll wait and see if anything changes by the close of the pledge manager and then decide about this Halfling Sorcerer figure. As things stand though, I’m leaning toward asking for either my money back or a change of figure. They seem friendly so hopefully they’ll be OK with it. 

I just wish Halflings were more popular characters for either/both players and painters and then there might be more people speaking up. Imagine the comments if the ‘Elf Queen’ figure suddenly looked like a 70 year old woman.

(Not that there's anything wrong with more aged figures. They’re great as NPCs. I just don’t find many players want to use them.)

Edited by Kalibak
Spelling and added a last sentence.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

After lots of searching 

the base RPG pledge: 

has enough elves to create useful encounters, has enough mummies to make my battle sphinx (current pledge)  less lonely 

a few of the cool concepts like anubis & gorgons that would be fun to have. 

add-on 1 elf hero riding a raptor of flying mount. 10/20$ 

- but so many of each army unit I don't want. 

and it would really tear into my bones budget. 

leaving this here for further reflection. 

pledge.png

I had the same thought process as you but ended up choosing the below set. The price and number of figures was more manageable and it offered a better selection for my D&D table. I just wish it could have swapped the halfling mummies for some gorgons or jackals or something. 

1f83b158c25b84c9b7bb303fbaa8ffd8_origina

• Like 2

^ I was actually thinking the same thing. 

I’m getting some Elves (Golden Guard, Slayers and Shadows) with the RPG Booster set and would be happy to swap some of them for some of your Halfling Bows and Swords and maybe a couple of your Elves (Spears, Hexes, Crossbows or Swords) too. 

I’m also getting some mummies (Shambling, Classic and Halfling) in that set and one of those crocodile men (can’t remember what they’re called) in the RPG Oasis Monsters set that I probably won’t have a use for, if any of them are of interest to you. 

Yes... well... after few weeks averyone is asking for elves renders and they keep doing everything but elves, I'm starting being a bit nervous ::D:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cicciopiu said:

Yes... well... after few weeks averyone is asking for elves renders and they keep doing everything but elves, I'm starting being a bit nervous ::D:

I'm with you there. Why do they keep ignoring the elves when everybody wants to see them? Glad I've been holding off completing the pledge manager. 

• Like 2