Sign in to follow this  
Brianuk

Bones 4 female frost giants

Loved these minis from the Kickstarter. I thought they would be taller but still enjoyed painting them. These are nearly done, I just need to highlight again and then tidy up all the things I ignore on smaller models because they don't show up... 

Also need to do a snow effects base. 

20190810_073625.jpg

20190810_073637.jpg

20190810_073700.jpg

• Like 14

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Venun
      I got this Frost Giant King in the last BoGW Europe. Glitterwolf put it in there I believe ( @Glitterwolf).

I aimed for a fastvpaintjob, then noticed more and more details during the paint.
      Tried my best at a frostbite-ish effect on the sword. In the end I loved him so much he deserved a proper base.
      I went with an icy base, without the often seen crackle effect. There was no tutorial for what I was aiming for, so I winged it.

The rock is a piece of driftwood with wall filler.

I'm quite happy on the outcome. What do you all think?

Bonus content: WiP pictures

• By MoonglowMinis
      Today I wanted to show off some cheap 54mm Vikings that I painted up as Frost Giants.

I made these guys close to a year ago, and they were among some of the first larger sized minis I had worked on, so they're a little rough, and that's before looking at the quality of model, but if someone else is in need of a lot of giants like I was, then this might be useful to them!

So these guys are from Tehnolog, a Russian miniatures company that I know very little about.  The minis are made out of a soft plastic like novelty toys you can buy with tickets at an arcade.  They also have abysmal detail.

They're meant for 54mm wargaming, and I believe there's an intended game system that accompanies the line, but my goal was to get some cheap giants for D&D.

They fit nicely on a 2in base, and could probably fit in with the smaller Reaper Bones giants, but they're definitely a little undersized.  I remedied this by giving them each a boosted base, with the leader getting two layers.  At a glance, they tower over a standard medium sized mini.

The details were rough and there were some ugly mold lines here and there.  But they're serviceable.  They might work better as a half-giant if you want to use 5e's Huge Frost Giants.

More pictures of each giant below the Spoiler:

Tehnolog also has a few other lines of fantasy-esque minis if you're a fan of cheap minis.  I am still considering getting one of their other lines to convert into cheap-o Fire Giants.

What's your favorite obscure miniature substitute?

• By Thrym
      WIP of the Cave Bear from Bones IV's Prehistoric Expansion.  I did not get this expansion so I recently picked up the Stone Giants and the Cave Bear from a gift certificate to Reaper Miniatures.  When I saw this I had ear-marked this to do the base in a similar method to Frulla Krung's base.
      To achieve that I added the bark next to the integrated base as well as a pumice piece and then using baking soda and super glue I added the snow and ice.
      For Frulla's base I used the BSI Thin Insta-Cure super glue and baking soda.  That made the ice easier to form over the rocks.  I will prolly add that after painting as well.

The base is built from cork with a plastic card (fake credit card sent in the mail) in between the top and bottom.  It provides a nice rigidity to the cork.

This Cave Bear will get a paint job of grays with a tan crescent under his chin and a tan snout.

I've downloaded a ton of pictures of different bears to see where the colors shift along the bear to get a better color along the bear's length and over its head.

Enjoy and Stay tuned.
    • By Gareth_Hriedmar
      This is one of the giants that I've painted that I'm the most proud of!

• By TPSminis
      This is my first post here on the forums, but I've been a fan of Reaper for a while now.  I've also been painting a while, but only got serious about learning in the last couple years.  I've been working at tabletop ready level until I set my sights on these two frost giants.  The detail is amazing in these models, so I felt like I had to throw myself into it and produce the best paint job I could.  These are the very first pieces I've ever felt were worth considering entering into a competition of any sort.  They are currently my best work, and yet I know that I have a long way to go with much to learn.  Together they took 5 days to complete, working about 6-8 hours each day while I recover from shoulder surgery.

Some quick notes:
      1. The bases are what came with the minis, please disregard them, I plan on following up in this post with custom bases for each of them.
      2. The Winter Wolf that belongs to the one with the spear is not done yet.  He'll be forthcoming in time.
      3. Yes, I modded the spear.  I cut off the head and used a spare brush protector tube to connect it to a wood dowel.  I used a stain marker on the wood dowel and painted the spear head and tube.  This meant that I had to drill out her hand.  It was a bit dicey, but it turned out well, I think.

Thanks,

TPSminis

• Who's Online   10 Members, 1 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)