Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

Argent, kind of big, how much paint for this bad boy?

I know Argent is probably close to twice the size, but I didn't finish off a single bottle of paint doing my Vidirus.  I used like a quarter of an inch of my stynlrez bottle, and I used less than a quarter of a bottle of MSP Olive Green and HD Mustard yellow, and those were his two primary colors.  Admittedly I used an airbrush for the bulk of the work so the coverage to volume math is significantly different than brush on.  but even with the multiple passes for all the colors and highlights and reworking the scales on his chest three times I think the whole job may have added up to a little over 2/3 of a bottle.  Argent is bigger, and like I said I used a lot of airbrush and glaze work, so YMMV. 

Depending on how thick you put it on, I would suspect you wouldn't need more than one bottle of each color your plan to use, though if you're doing it all brush an extra bottle of primer and basecoat wouldn't hurt.  if you don't use it, the primer will be good for other models, and you'll eventually need more of whateverbase coat you choose (if you don't get so totally sick of the color you never want to touch it again, lol)

the only project I've ever done where I actually used up a whole bottle of paint on the project was painting a whole warhammer 40k army, with multiple tanks.  Used up about 2 pots of boltgun metal, but I painted a little over 30 marines, two characters, two rhinos,  and a defiler with that. This was heavy drybrushing too, so there's a fair amount of waste using that method.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

So on a big model, has anybody ever done the base coats and washes, and then after that glued it all together and put on the highlights to kind of unify it afterwards? That thought just occurred to me.

The IPMS painters do this all the time.

Warhammer painters working on big tanks and robots do this. 

Fully assembling and then painting is more of a rookie mistake than a rule. 

17 hours ago, Keianna said:

When I did a 7 day challenge for Kaladrax, I used far less paint than I thought I would. I used up 1 bottle of brown liner, unknown starting level, then 1/2 bottle or less for all other colors. Argent will probably take more because it is a more solid model, but I wouldn't expect much more. 

I don’t know a good way to estimate surface area with maths. There is just eyeballing. Kaladrax beats Argent for surface area considering the head, neck, and body. But then there is the wings. Way more wing surface on Argent. 

• Like 3

I'm thinking the only way to know is to do it I guess.  I'll start out with what I have and then afterwards will go adding paint as needed.  The only bad part about all that is the fact that there is no place locally I can get Reaper paint, so if I run out of something I'll be ordering and delaying by a week or so. But there's always 10,000 other minis I've got I can work on in the meantime I guesss...

• Like 2

I haven't painted Argent yet, I still have to do a lot of repair work on the wings. But I have this 3/8" brush right here...

Airbrushing is all well and good for people who own the equipment and the space but the rest of us apartment-dwellers have gigantic brushes ::P:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I haven't painted Argent yet, I still have to do a lot of repair work on the wings. But I have this 3/8" brush right here...

Airbrushing is all well and good for people who own the equipment and the space but the rest of us apartment-dwellers have gigantic brushes ::P:

Just become one with the rainbow lung

I probably shouldn't airbrush in my ground level apartment with no ventilation... in the kitchen. :zombie:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Just become one with the rainbow lung

I probably shouldn't airbrush in my ground level apartment with no ventilation... in the kitchen. :zombie:

Meh. It's not a problem unless you want to breathe at some point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I live in an apartment, but plan on using one of those vent thingies.  Then again, our living could be described as "cozy, and full of various hobbying things" so maybe our place isn't the norm... 

..And yes, I'm planning on a shelf N scale layout in the bedroom now that we've moved a few things around... >.>;;;; (I can fit a 2' deep 8' wide setup in there if I so choose...) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Maybe I’ll just go into the garage and grab one of the brushes we used to paint that house with.

NO!

Dragons HATE those big brushes. It's like being accosted by a car wash. 

They generally like airbrushing, as the airflow sometimes gives the illusion of flight. Just don't give a sudden blast to the more sensitive areas on the underside. Give them a bit of a warning by slowly working towards them.   

Small brushes tickles, so they are generally tolerated as long as you're careful.

Drybrushing is soothing, so is approved. 

Do NOT even think of mentioning paint rollers. 

(They don't have much experience with the small 'craft' type rollers. Maybe he won't st you on fire if you use one of those? )

Those tubes sometimes used to 'spray' some paints by blowing through them?  Would you like if someone spit on you?

you have fire insurance right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 8/11/2019 at 3:05 PM, Keianna said:

When I did a 7 day challenge for Kaladrax, I used far less paint than I thought I would. I used up 1 bottle of brown liner, unknown starting level, then 1/2 bottle or less for all other colors. Argent will probably take more because it is a more solid model, but I wouldn't expect much more. 

What Keianna said. Those tiny bottles of paint stretch RIDICULOUSLY far; I didn't even use an entire bottle of Brown Liner to completely coat Ma'al Drakar (just most of one). Also, looking at the two next to each other, Argent has less surface area than Ma'al. Argent has huge wings, yes, but those are flat, while Ma'al has 5 heads + necks, textured wings and a large base. 

I'd be astonished if you used up an entire bottle of anything on him, unless you do multiple coats. 

On 8/11/2019 at 10:34 AM, 72moonglum said:

So on a big model, has anybody ever done the base coats and washes, and then after that glued it all together and put on the highlights to kind of unify it afterwards? That thought just occurred to me.

Yes, but only partially. I glue together as much as I can ahead of time (basically whatever won't get in the way of painting too much), then paint, then finish assembly and do final touches. 

With Argent, I would recommend attaching the head beforehand for sure. The tail could be okay as well, it depends on if you are comfortable with moving the mini around a lot to get a good painting angle. Definitely leave off the wings until near the end, though, unless you enjoy punishing yourself. :lol:

Best of luck! 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1