Sign in to follow this  
MechJunkie

Is there a story behind these two miniatures?

I came across these two as I was browsing. They're the same character: NANURANIDD, DARK ELF SORCERER. They're both very interesting sculpts with alot of character; one relaxed, the other casting a spell, one with his staff in the right hand, the other his left. 
Is there a backstory behind him? What's with the broken shackle on his ankle?

03247_G.jpg

14635_w_1.jpg

• Like 6

Reaper has a lot of recurring characters in their catalog. This one in particular has a DHL version and one for use in Warlord, Reaper's very own tabletop wargame.

Off the top of my head, there's also multiple versions of the female wizard Sarah the Seeress, the vampiress warrior Monique deNoir, and the cleric Tolzar. A lot of the older versions are Garrity sculpts, and they're fantastic.

I don't know that there's any specific story behind any of them, beyond whatever Izzy had in her head when making the concept art.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Sanael said:

I don't know that there's any specific story behind any of them, beyond whatever Izzy had in her head when making the concept art.

There hasn't really been much in the way of official story canon from Reaper.  The Warlord game and Dreadmere setting have provided some flavor, but generally speaking, there isn't a whole lot of material out there to explain things.  I'm sure Izzy has something in mind while prepping the concept art, but a lot of the time the mini's are just there because they're cool sculpts.  Alternates exist because they were both great sculpts.  Reaper also did a special edition line during their 25th anniversary where they re-imagined selected sculpts from the past.

So the best part is you get to fill in the blanks with your own story.

• Like 5

I noticed these over the weekend:

02032 Unthar Godshand
02340 Unthar Godshand

03073 Sarah the Seeress
02030 Sarah The Seeress

02092 St. Tarkus, Dire Dead
02310 St Tarkus, Dire-dead

At a glance, at least a couple of these are the same character, realized by different sculptors.

• Like 2

That's true for a bunch of them. Lisette has a bunch. Ametrine Earthlite has a bunch. I think Aravir, Ranger does too. There seem to be some "characters" but it appears to be a matter of different artists doing a concept, or different timing on them (some are many years apart).

• Like 4

Thank you Derek for the information and I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner. He's an interesting sculpt and I found him a challenge to paint, but I'm quite happy with the result. 

20200524_095934.jpg

20200524_095946.jpg

• Like 14

Oooh. I like that sculpt, and the story behind the design choice. So only one has a statblock right?

I know there are some models in some skirmish games where a resculpt changes their stats and might have a passage of time story attached.

Someone may have been asking about that. Sometimes those are a good read.