Sign in to follow this  
Pochi

Discussion of shipping policy to Australia

I am not sure how valid this is, but for KSIV I got about 450 in figures for about 60 in shipping here in Japan. I imagine New Zealand would be similar shipping or a bit less. That includes a lot of big figures. 

• Like 4

Order arrived! Exactly 3 weeks on the nose from when I placed the order. So it took a week to 2 weeks longer than it did before. I can live with that now that I know that is what I should expect.

I got a sticker, earbuds, and a bottle of sample paint. I really love getting sample paint! I got some of the new minis from Bones 4 and they are awesome! I got a lot of Bones but did pick up a few metal that aren't available in Bones - Harrower, Sister Lana, and Jolie. I think Harrower may become my new d&d bard character. I don't like playing with metal minis but she is just so perfect for a tarot card reading, fortune telling, illusion using, charlatan bard!

So, while this started out with me hating the new shipping policy, if this means we still get the free shipping on orders of $100, I can definitely live with this new arrangement.

• Like 7

I just had a couple emails with reaper about this and while i understand the answers more or less, they were not really totally satisfying. No free shipping to Japan and no direct shipping, though direct shipping might be available at some time in the future. 

They did say they were aware of the delays now but were hoping things would be more streamlined.

They did say shipping to Japan would be the same with AU shipping as before when they sent stuff to Japan by boat ...........???????????????? Dude, that never happened!!!!  I told them I got stuff in 7-10 days and no boat ever made it across the pacific in 7-10 days, at least not carrying mail. 

They also said shipping had been artificially low for me for a while, but i am not sure if i buy that or not. I have seen other sellers sending stuff much cheaper than they do. A lot of my orders have been pretty small in physical dimensions. 

So overall annoying, but it might work out. It will probably be a damper on my ordering though. 

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Pochi said:

Order arrived! Exactly 3 weeks on the nose from when I placed the order. So it took a week to 2 weeks longer than it did before. I can live with that now that I know that is what I should expect.

So, while this started out with me hating the new shipping policy, if this means we still get the free shipping on orders of $100, I can definitely live with this new arrangement.

Thanks for the update - it looks like 6 weeks for the Kickstarter replacements was most likely an anomaly then. Considering I've had stuff from West Coast US take between 1 and 6 weeks to get to me, if deliveries via Aetherworks end up to be typically 3 weeks that's a bit more reliable.

As you say, knowing to expect the 3 week turnaround mean that it's an arrangement I'm able to live with.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dice4hire said:

I just had a couple emails with reaper about this and while i understand the answers more or less, they were not really totally satisfying. No free shipping to Japan and no direct shipping, though direct shipping might be available at some time in the future. 

They did say they were aware of the delays now but were hoping things would be more streamlined.

They did say shipping to Japan would be the same with AU shipping as before when they sent stuff to Japan by boat ...........???????????????? Dude, that never happened!!!!  I told them I got stuff in 7-10 days and no boat ever made it across the pacific in 7-10 days, at least not carrying mail. 

They also said shipping had been artificially low for me for a while, but i am not sure if i buy that or not. I have seen other sellers sending stuff much cheaper than they do. A lot of my orders have been pretty small in physical dimensions. 

So overall annoying, but it might work out. It will probably be a damper on my ordering though. 

I can see where an order qualifying for free shipping that they have to cover the cost of might be considered as being "undercharged". They raised the free shipping limit for Canadians. Ours here in Australia has been $100 for free shipping since I have been ordering from Reaper (4+ years). But if you are not getting the free shipping, and orders not up to $100 in Australia that don't get free shipping, yeah, it makes no sense to say we aren't paying enough shipping when we are paying what they say the shipping companies charge. How can we be undercharged when that is literally the fee?

The kickstarter stuff does come by boat, at least it did with Bones 3, and that took forever! Ok, an exaggeration but if I remember right, Bones 4 kickstarter had started before many in Oceania had their Bones 3 orders in hand. The delay now is because they only send a pallet once a week to Australia. I ordered on the first and they told me my order went on a pallet sent out on the 6th. So my order sat for nearly a week before it even left. Where it was between then and last Friday the 16th, who knows. Aetherworks messaged me Friday evening that they had it but that it missed the van so it wasn't sent from them until Monday.

So orders to Japan are going through Aetherworks as well? That is just weird! Like I said, I can see it MAYBE for the kickstarters, but for regular orders, that is just weird.

Edited by Pochi
  • Like 3

It looks like AusPost may have a better deal with JapanPost than USPS does - for a 2kg package you can ship it to Japan from Australia for $15-22AUD compared to $23.50USD at retail rates

It is quite possible that it is cheaper for them to ship a pallet to Australia (which each individual order makes up a relatively small portion of the shipping cost) then distribute from there than direct shipping to Japan.

I still think it's a less than sensible idea, especially considering you're already paying for shipping. If you received free shipping to Japan due to this arrangement - or significantly reduced shipping - then it would make more sense...

• Like 2

Yeah, if I am willing to pay for direct then why not?

It seems odd that there is no good shipping calculator out there. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 5:31 PM, Cyradis said:

They had their lead communications guy leave, and a secondary communications guy retire. I don't think it was just the Kickstarters.

This hits nail right on the head.  They just need to hire a new Bryan!

• Like 4

I got the six paints that Reaper did not send in the KS in the mail today. Yay Reaper! They gave me a sample paint in a nice purple tint. Yay Reaper!

It probably took more than a month to arrive here. Not Yay Reaper.

I will be making an order in early September for a few minis and a bunch of paints. See how long it takes to arrive.

• Like 2