Sign in to follow this  
Pochi

Not happy with new shipping policy to Australia

I placed a really big order 2 weeks ago. I received confirmation of the order and on the store it said status: filled, but I never received a shipping notification. I usually have the order on my doorstep in less than 2 weeks.

So, I sent an email just checking in to see if it had even shipped. I received an email back stating that to save on shipping and transit times, the orders are being sent by pallet once a week to Aetherworks who will then email me with tracking and shipping info and send it to me.

First of all.....WHAT? How does waiting to ship my order, then sending it by pallet (does this mean by ship?), sending it to a distributor in another city, save transit time? Also, just for the heck of it, I went to the store and plugged in one little Bones Black halfling and hit the shipping button. Nearly $25 in shipping for one tiny mini. It doesn't seem to be saving me any money on shipping.

I ordered minis to do 3 painting classes. As I said, I have always had the minis from Reaper in less than 2 weeks. Now, they can't even tell me where my minis are.

It kind of made sense that they started doing shipping this way with the Kickstarters. It super sucks for us on this side of the world to have to wait additional time while our orders sit on another boat to get back to this side of the ocean but ok. It would be better if it actually seemed to make shipping cheaper. However, for this to now be the new policy on every single order really sucks. I don't want to order from a random, online retailer but if I am going to have to wait upwards of a month or more to get my orders from Reaper, I may as well order elsewhere.

I have also looked all over the Reaper website and see nowhere where it says the shipping to Australia changed. Has anyone else from Oz or NZ placed an order recently and, if so, how long did it take for your order to finally arrive? And did it go through Aetherworks? My last order was sent directly to me but I only order a few times a year since I have to hit $100 for free shipping so I am not sure when this new policy went into effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

I remember something about the palletized shipping being so they could air-freight a pallet once a week.

If there are problems with policy updates not being reflected on the website, they need to be brought to Kit's attention.

I feel for your frustration but unfortunately, there is little can be done except to make Reaper, and the responsible individuals at Reaper, aware of the problems.

Having been at the far end of a long supply chain I can understand your frustration.

GEM

• Like 4

Air freight would be more acceptable than by water. Like I said, it's been 2 weeks and no order, no notification, no idea where my minis are. And, no idea who to ask. The vibe I got from the email was, "we send it by pallet and after that, it's not our problem." So do I email Aetherworks? If it was sent to them at least a week ago (who knows when during the week the pallet is sent out), then they should surely have it....

I'll email Kit as well. Poor guy. Another problem that isn't his doing!

• Like 4

I sympathize. International shipping has gotten much more expensive over the last few years, which causes problems for everyone. I understand that Reaper had to make a change; the former pricing was unsupportable. But Reaper has not handled their shipping policy changes well at all, IMO.

To some extent the problems go both ways, of course. For reference, shipping from Eureka in Oz to the US costs a minimum of $20AU and is always charged (unless I missed something). And to find that out, I had to go to their website, where I also found out that they have a brand new line of 15mm Sumerians. That I really want. :down:

I blame you.

:poke:

• Like 6

But hey, $20 AUD isn't so bad! The dollerydoo is worth like .67 USD. ::D:

I get that shipping is horrible. Trust me, living in Australia, we are reminded every day that this may as well be another planet.

Say I wasn't going for the free shipping though and was paying $25-50 for shipping (I have done so in the past). I don't think it is fair to pay full price for shipping and still have it stacked on a pallet and sent to a distributor and have to wait a month for the order. It doesn't seem like the cheaper shipping is for the customer as it is not reflected in the price being charged for shipping.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am also in Australia and I have now been waiting for my missing KS figures for more than 5 weeks....I think the pallet to Aetherworks once a week thing is going sea freight.  Very disappointing....

Edit: the 5 weeks is since I got the "they are on their way" message, it is now 3 months since I reported them not received.

Edited by Sanwah
  • Sad 7

I wonder if this will happen to me if i make an order in Japan. My last two bones KS orders (and maybe replacement paints from KSIV) went through Australia. 

• Sad 3

14 hours ago, Sanwah said:

I am also in Australia and I have now been waiting for my missing KS figures for more than 5 weeks....I think the pallet to Aetherworks once a week thing is going sea freight.  Very disappointing....

Edit: the 5 weeks is since I got the "they are on their way" message, it is now 3 months since I reported them not received.

I'm in the same position, missing figures from the Kickstarter were sent 5 July and I haven't seen them yet. I think someone at Reaper needs to chase Aetherworks as if pallets are being sent weekly, but we aren't seeing anything sent out, then we have a breakdown in the chain.

I won't air my broader views on Aetherworks here (as it will get me in trouble)...

• Sad 3

14 hours ago, Sanwah said:

Got a reply back to my further inquiries. Apparently the pallets are going by air once a week. They assured me again this would make for faster delivery. As I stated above, it has already been 2 weeks and I would normally have had my order by now. At this point, I don't know where my order is. Aetherworks was very good about communication and shipping during the kickstarters. However, I have no clue if they have my current order or not.

Have you emailed customer service again?

They also told me had they not have done this, they would have had to raise shipping costs because they had been undercharging for shipping to Australia for a long time. I checked the shipping costs in the store and am still being charged international shipping standard rate I guess so nothing has become cheaper on my end for sure and seems to be similar to any other place in the US that I would order from.

Plus, this is right from the website:
"How do you calculate shipping costs?

We've weighed every product we sell, and we calculate your shipping based on this data to ensure the best shipping costs possible. We charge you what the shipping companies charge us."

So, if that is what shipping companies charge, how were they undercharging for shipping?

12 hours ago, dice4hire said:

I wonder if this will happen to me if i make an order in Japan. My last two bones KS orders (and maybe replacement paints from KSIV) went through Australia. 

No idea. They didn't say Oceania when talking to me but that doesn't mean hey aren't including NZ and Asia in this as well. Kit said he would try and get something posted on the website when he has time so maybe it will address this.

1 minute ago, ratsmitglied said:

I'm in the same position, missing figures from the Kickstarter were sent 5 July and I haven't seen them yet. I think someone at Reaper needs to chase Aetherworks as if pallets are being sent weekly, but we aren't seeing anything sent out, then we have a breakdown in the chain.

I won't air my broader views on Aetherworks here (as it will get me in trouble)...

My only interactions with them have been 1 kickstarter and when they set up a booth at Cancon where they have Reaper paints, Bones minis, and grass/flower tufts that I like for basing. So, that is all that I have to base my opinion on. Until now....  Like I said. I have no idea at this point who to ask about my order because I have no idea where it is.

• Sad 3

Just heard from Aetherworks. They don't have my order. They confirmed they get weekly orders but they have nothing for me.

• Sad 7

This is the answer I received from Reaper when I asked if I should be worried as it had been a month since I got the shipping email: "It should be shipping to you via Aetherworks, and it takes a little time to get from here to Australia.  They will contact you with shipping information when they process your package."

I cannot say I am feeling the love....

• Sad 6

Sounds like things are being sent by the slow boat :-(

checking their facebook page and apparently they're processing the replacement parts at the moment for the Kickstarter...but that doesn't solve the other shipping issues.

I would not be surprised if the person at Aetherworks who responded to Pochi only looked in the pile of Kickstarter replacements to be shipped, not the rest of the reaper stuff...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Ok, I am just waiting at this point. Apparently this is the first month they have been using this new system. Customer service asked that I let them know when I do get my order so they have the feedback on how long this is actually taking.

Because my order was over $100 AUD, I got free shipping. Of course Reaper is taking a hit on that. I don't know how many of the rest of us rack up the free shipping on this side of the world, (my guess would be the majority because if you're going to pay $30+ for shipping, you may as well spend that much on more minis) so this is a cheaper option on Reaper's end. I get it.

So, looks like orders are going to take longer. That sucks. Customer service said they are working on ways to better track where in the process the orders are. That would help to at least be in the loop and know where the order is.

Now, throughout this, customer service has been top notch. They have answered every question, been polite, and never blew me off are acted like I was bothering them. I may not be the happiest customer right now, but their customer service made sure I am remaining a customer.

• Like 10

I feel your pain here, as I live in Canary Island; technically Spain in reality is Africa, so every shipment that is free for other is not for us. I always have to pay my shipment, and it take always long. Hopefully 10 days/two weeks is the normality, even from continental Spain,  usually it take more.
So when a company give me the option of free shipping, I'm happy even if i don't get a tracking number and have to wait 3 weeks, cause... it's free!
But I understand the struggle of waiting long and don't know where your stuff are.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cicciopiu said:

I feel your pain here, as I live in Canary Island; technically Spain in reality is Africa, so every shipment that is free for other is not for us. I always have to pay my shipment, and it take always long. Hopefully 10 days/two weeks is the normality, even from continental Spain,  usually it take more.
So when a company give me the option of free shipping, I'm happy even if i don't get a tracking number and have to wait 3 weeks, cause... it's free!
But I understand the struggle of waiting long and don't know where your stuff are.

Ah yeah, that sucks! I am one of those people who resists change. Especially surprise change. I also had placed the order to do some painting classes at the lgs and based it on the usual delivery time of 1-2 weeks. So that's not going to happen now, plus I am going on holiday in two weeks so I am hoping I don't have to make arrangements for it to get here when I am gone. I am most definitely not complaining about the free shipping or even having to wait a little longer, it was the whole "we don't know where your order is because we sent it somewhere else".

Anyway, you're right. It could definitely be worse! First world problems, eh? It's not like I have run out of minis to paint and am sitting here twiddling my thumbs!

• Like 4