Sign in to follow this  
Painting Dog

Birding at ReaperCon

If you aren't a bird watcher, you can stop reading now. ::D:. But if you ARE a bird watcher...

I'm coming to ReaperCon from Pennsylvania. And if you're a birder, you know that any trip is also an excuse to pick up birds for the life list that you can't see at home. My first ReaperCon, I got a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in my hotel parking lot, and was absolutely chuffed. ::D:

This will be my third ReaperCon, and in previous years I've found a couple of pretty nice nearby patches for birding. I usually go out at least once when I'm between classes, just to see what I can see. I've got a rental car, and would be more than happy to have company, if there are any other birders at the con who are interested in a nature break.

Any takers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Denton Clear Creek Nature Heritage Center is my recommended public spot.  I get a lot of birds in my backyard, but that isn't public.

Seeing a fair number of painted buntings currently and our roadrunners are active.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oooo! Painted Buntings! I have actually only ever seen one once, so would love another chance! I was lucky enough to get some really good views of a Roadrunner when at the San Diego Birding Festival this spring -- he was up on a fence post, just hanging around in plain sight for a good 10 minutes. Very un-roadrunner-like. ::D:

I'll have to check my notes to see if the Denton Nature Heritage Center is one of the ones I found. There was a park with a really nice lake that I found the first time I was there. Then last year I found the LLELA Nature Preserve and had a really good time there. 

Thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ME, pick ME!!!!! I would love to add both Painted Bunting and Roadrunner to my life list; both have evaded me so far in my many trips south.

@Corporea also bird watches IIRC. And I am pretty sure @Morihalda was interested in going out when I brought it up before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depending on time, I'd probably go along. I'm not really a birder, but I am a wildlife photographer and birds are, well, wildlife.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sundseth/albums/72157625943111052

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sundseth/albums/72157625693523551

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sundseth/albums/72157625819144604

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To coordinate this, since I have a fixed location at the Con (i.e., my spot at the artist table); we can use that to meet and discuss it.

Actually, lets step this up a bit so we can precoordinate better.  If you are interested in Birding, email me your cell phone number by Tuesday, Aug 27 at [email protected] and I'll set up a text message where we can all make plans and discuss it. 

Probably Thursday Evening would be the best time to do go out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

To coordinate this, since I have a fixed location at the Con (i.e., my spot at the artist table); we can use that to meet and discuss it.

Actually, lets step this up a bit so we can precoordinate better.  If you are interested in Birding, email me your cell phone number by Tuesday, Aug 27 at [email protected] and I'll set up a text message where we can all make plans and discuss it. 

Probably Thursday Evening would be the best time to do go out.

If it's Thursday, I'll have to bow out (which is fine, since my schedule is going to be a bit tight).

If there's a dawn trip, though, I'd be interested in that.

• Like 2

Whee!  Fellow birders!

If you want to pick up the buntings, @TaleSpinner, dawn is going to be a better chance than evening.  Although there are other, different things possible in the evening.  I've managed to do OK just going out mid-afternoons on my previous visits.

Let the coordinating begin!  :D

• Like 1

Dawn looks to be at about 0630 at that time of year in Dallas, which means getting up NLT 0530 and on the road by 0600 at the latest. The good news about that is that we could probably make it back for breakfast. The bad news is 0630.

::D:

• Haha 2

put me on the list! I'll bring my specs.  Andy, you've got my number?  Never seen either a roadrunner or the painted bunting so that would be awesome!!

• Like 3

OMG, I can't believe I will get to be the painted bunting sherpa! I will now make it my mission to find the best possible place to see them within close proximity to the convention center. ::D:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1