Sign in to follow this  
Painting Dog

Birding at ReaperCon

2 hours ago, Painting Dog said:

Also, am I the only one who is amused that a bunch of people who paint miniatures are going out to find painted buntings?  :lol:

Prepaints tend to be a bit sloppy.

Do you think there would be a problem stripping and repainting?

• Haha 5

I have been looking on eBird for nearby painted bunting sightings. There was one is a smallish park area really close to the hotel,  but more recent sightings at the Clear Creek center mentioned above. That looks to be about 20-30 minutes away (I assume without rush hour traffic).

Do we want to plan on Saturday or Sunday? Anybody have a preference?  If we don't  want to do crack of dawn, we could shoot for more midday on one of the weekdays. 

• Like 1

With class schedules what they are, evening (after 5) on Friday would be my preferred choice (unless I have my entry done before the con, then Thursday or Friday evening). Sunday morning I can't as I have church.  All other days, I teach at 10:00 and on Thursday at 10:00 and 1:00.

• Like 1

Sitting at the airport in Pittsburgh,  waiting for my flight to ReaperCon!

Andy, I'm on board with Friday after 5 -- Maybe not as noisy as in the AM, but it's not like all the birds go to another dimension after sunrise. ::D:  Should I stop by your artist station to finalize details? (Or we can do it via text, if that's easier for you. )

I'm also up for going out on a morning with anyone who's interested. Let me know!

Birders are always birding, my friend! I noted black vultures, great egrets, blue heron and a couple different types of pigeons just driving from the airport. ::): Meanwhile, the great-tailed grackles who are all around the hotel are a never-ending source of amusement for me -- especially the juveniles, who all either have no tail, or just one single tail feather sticking out of their butt! :lol:

• Haha 1

There are some weird birds with this really loud chirp outside IHOP tonight... 

Edited by Crowley
spelling...

22 hours ago, OneBoot said:

The grackles are quite amusing. Also loud! :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

I'll admit the first time I heard & seen them one year, I was like "OK then!" I think it was after Con & we were heading back to the hotel (off-site days) & we were stopping into Walmart for supplies for the night.

• Like 2

On the drive down we spotted turkeys, various falcons, a gull, a pelican (!!) a white heron, and a couple of eagles.

Well, no luck with painted buntings, but still had a great time birding with @Corporea, @TaleSpinner and family, and Derek.

Thank you SO MUCH, @ladystorm for the suggestion of visiting Clear Creek! I can see why that's a favorite spot -- I went back on my own later and spent two very peaceful hours just wandering around. Also got to see ALL the flycatchers! LOL! You can be sure I'll be visiting there again next year.

So what do you guys think? Worth trying for painted buntings again next year?

• Like 1