Sign in to follow this  
GodOfCheese

Reflected source light on water?

I'm painting a mini with a light source, and decided to rebase the beastie with some water effects, probably epoxy resin.  I'll probably try to make the water at least slightly rough, creating interest for the eye.  I woke up in a cold sweat this morning realizing that the light source should be reflected (or possibly just highlighted) in/on the water. 

My initial thought was to:

1. lightly (heh) color the bottom of the pool as if it were dry and lit by the light source
  2. pour and texture the water
  3. highlight the water by drybrushing from the light source out.

My concern about this is that if the viewer looks toward the light, the surfaces of any wavelets will be highlighted on the opposite side from the POV.  In other words, the viewer will see the undersides or backsides of any highlights through the translucent wavelets, and this might not look the way the viewer expects.

Has anyone done this?  I looked around for a few examples but although there are plenty of doing wave effects (froth and foam), I haven't found any yet that look like translucent glare.  

• Like 1

Painted specular reflections (the core of what makes NMM) can really only look right from a single point of view. You can live with the single preferred point of view; it's not a terrible thing. You can even force a single PoV if you do something like a shadow box.

You can also get away with an assumed zenithal light source (presumably the sun), but if you want a light trail on water (for instance), that's going to be point-of-view limited.

As to drybrushing, be aware that the technique adds texture. If the water is rough enough, that's not necessarily a problem. And foam is opaque anyway, so opaque paint can work. If you're intending a rippled surface, dry-brushing with opaque paint is probably not going to do what you want.

My only comment: I've done a lot of bases with both 2 part epoxy resin and Woodland Scenics Water Effects. The epoxy is great for smooth surfaces; I'm not sure how one would make ripples that don't smooth themselves out. For that I'd use Water Effects.

• Like 1

As the epoxy resin starts to set, it's possible to blow air (through a straw or with with an empty airbrush, for instance) to get surface ripples that are still present when the epoxy is set.

Water Effects or acrylic gel medium are easier, though.

I had planned to use epoxy resin and then add clear caulk to the top to create the ripples, but now I totally want to try the straw technique.  I don't need much rippling-- the figure's on top of rocks and I want to make it look like the rocks have vibrated the water.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GodOfCheese said:

I had planned to use epoxy resin and then add clear caulk to the top to create the ripples, but now I totally want to try the straw technique.  I don't need much rippling-- the figure's on top of rocks and I want to make it look like the rocks have vibrated the water.

Timing is important. If you do it too early, it has no effect. If you wait too long, you get no ripples.

Also, don't hyperventilate and face-plant into the epoxy. It's not a good look. :poke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Neptune1999
      This model is a Dark Sword Miniatures masterpiece of a sculpt by Jeff Grace. Never before have I seen so many tiny etchings on plate armor, especially on a figure that is barely 1.6 inches high. I feel a bit let down by my red OSL, but then again, this was only my second real attempt at the process, which is surely one I need to practice more. 

• By Cygnwulf
      WIP Thread here
      I finally finished this dragon. I took a lot longer for the base because I got a little carried away, but I'm really super happy with how it came out.  To begin, this was a request from my mother in law to take inspiration from a set of china she has.   
      Here's the plate

In the end though I'm really happy with how the dragon come out and took lots of pictures:

I'm going to do my best next time to rein in the base a bit, but I'm super happy with how this came out.
    • By Dan S
      One of my recently finished miniatures, and my first attempt at doing some object source lighting.  Truth be told this was all a bit of an experiment and as such the ghost was very rushed (She was 100% drybrushed), most of my time and effort went into the base and trying to pull off a convincing OSL glow effect.  It is far from perfect, but for a first attempt I am fairly pleased with the result.

• By GodOfCheese
      This mini took forever to paint.  Not really because anything I did with him was all that challenging, but because once I did one thing I realized that more stuff was needed.  I couldn't figure out why the demon was holding a rock, so I decided it must be a spell effect.  I liked the crackly rocks of the base, but decided it must be cooling magma.  Then I decided that his base wasn't stable enough for his huge wingedness (the mini is metal and thus VERY top-heavy), so I extended it.  Then I dithered about whether to just paint the lava or apply a resin of some kind.  And on and on and on.

Eventually I forced myself to be done.  Here he is :-)
      C&C appreciated as I've definitely never done this many techniques with one mini.  :-D

• By Corporea
      This was my Secret Sophie gift to Inarah.  I had a lot of fun painting it, though I was cranky there wasn't much room to play with freehand!  Let's see... the crystals are a combination of sculpey, green stuff, sprue cut into crystal shapes and actual small quartz crystals. You can buy them cheap online in bulk. Great for terrain projects.  The colors are nightmare black, clouded sea and mint green, then after I was done highlighting, I glazed the whole thing except in the light effect area with pthalo green. It knocked down the highlights a bit and I like the more teal look it gives.  The fire was pure white, sun yellow, marigold yellow, fire red and spattered crimson. I think I used some Golden brand carbon black for the deep shadows.

Anyway, enjoy!  I didn't do a lot of WIP stuff for this one, sorry! er, and my camera was dead so I had to use my phone.  The balance is always funky.

I decided I wanted to work on OSL, so I planned ahead of time while painting the miniature. I find this helpful for OSL. I decide where I'll have the light effect and then up the highlighting on that side keeping in mind the spread and direction of the light.  Then when I add the colored effect, the highlighting is already done. I think where I see folks fall down on lighting is one of two things:  remembering that light is brightest at its source and lessens outwards, or thinking that light is color rather than brightness or higher value. Meaning  we have to highlight first before we add the light effect, or it just looks like paint, not light.  If you take a black and white photo of a mini, you should be able to see the light and effect is closer to white. If done incorrectly, the light effect will disappear.  You also have to darken shadows elsewhere to sell the effect. It becomes complicated, but in all honesty, you can do OSL with drybrushing, as long as you remember to highlight first!

Enjoy! C&C always welcome!

Here's what I mean with the black and white photo- see how you don't see the color of the light, but you still see the light?

• Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)