Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I few years ago I emptied a can of spray foam for some hills. I decided to hack up one to see if I could do some scatter that was more rock pile than grassy hill like I've previously done (insert link to foam experiments thread).
About a month ago I hacked the foam hill, and last night I glued it to a dead DVD as a base and clamped it.
This is what it looks like now.
I'm going to let it dry a bit more then give it some goop, then a modge seal. Then drybrush, and maybe some flock.
Fun little piece. I attempted to paint it in the style of Costa Rican coffee wagons. It was a real challenge, given the irregularities of the wheel surface. I wish it had a donkey, goat or ox to pull it.
It will stand upright by itself on some surfaces, but I stuck a block under it to stabilize during photography.
This is the second miniature I've ever painted, and the first with Reaper paints. I figured that a brush holder would come in handy for the all the Bones V painting in my future! The only Reaper paints I own are the Bones V paints (Learn to Paint kit and the two collections), plus two bottles of Reaper MSP 9038 Rainy Gray.
Overall I'm really pleased with the way this first attempt worked out! I primed everything with 9038 Rainy Gray, then put on the base coats. The wings and ears gave me the most trouble as I had generously overpainted with 9410 Dragon Green, and was attempting a wet blend with 09468 Brilliant Red and 09218 Lava Orange. They required seven or eight coats before I got solid coverage over the green. Once everything was painted and cleaned up, I did a dry brush highlight pass, and then sealed it with two coats of Rust-oleum Crystal Clear Enamel and one coat of Testors Dullcote. I waited 24 hours between each coat to give it plenty of time to dry. I also masked off the gold pile prior to the Dullcote to make sure it would stay shiny.
Some things that could have been better:
The eyes should have been a different color to make them pop, instead of disappearing in the face. Additionally the right eye is quite muddy and the pupil gets lost amidst all the black veins. I was getting tired of working on Rocky at this point and wanted to get it finished. Ideally the eye would have been repainted. The left eye is better, but still gets lost in all the green. I forgot that my wash darkens the mini, and didn't paint in brighter colors to compensate, which means overall it's quite muted and dark.
Flatline City is launching in a few weeks! Get on the pre-launch list at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/saucermenstudios/flatline-city
Flatline City is a feature packed, customisable terrain system with modular buildings, walkways, slum stacks, twisting pipelines, underground tunnels and miniatures bases. There are hundreds of urban & industrial components!
With a huge choice of models, you can customise the layout to match your theme and story driven campaigns. Decide whether to create a bustling dystopian metropolis, wasteland Mega City, off world colony, industrial district, night market, gothic sanctuary or winding sewer system.
Who's Online 16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)