Nightwing

Grenadier druids

I’m about to start these old druids from the Grenadier Magic-Users box set. The Druid on the left is throwing a dart, which looks more like a carrot. Definitely not very macho. I’d like to replace the dart with something better. Any suggestions?  

The druid on the left will be in greens, but I can’t decide on colors for guy on the right. Browns?  He looks kinda frumpy with that big dopey hat. Help!  

Thanks!

29C6E7E0-AE6E-4552-8B5E-B35A368F8563.jpeg

• Like 4

Great pieces of classic Grenadier!  I’d say just leave his dart as the carroty little dart that it is.  For the one on the right, I’d always in my mind seen him as brown robes with a green cap. Can’t wait to see these when they are done!

• Like 2

Classic minis, I would leave them as is!

Maybe paint that dart a bit glowing like a magic missile?

• Like 3

Those are lead miniatures and easily broken. Not sure I would attempt to convert one. I've made repairs to a few and it is fiddly at best and definitely creates a weak point. I look forward to seeing what you do with these.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72moonglum said:

I’d say just leave his dart as the carroty little dart that it is.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Maybe paint that dart a bit glowing like a magic missile?

...or a Big Bamboo Joint a la Cheech & Chong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Its a druid right? I say paint it as a carrot and let it be a carrot!  Nothing says I don't take this threat seriously quite like a slap across the face with a carrot. ::D:

• Haha 4

My good friend brought over home made lawn darts for my birthday party a couple weeks ago. Like the olden days when you could get them with the big steel spike on the front...you know, before some kid got impaled and they were discontinued?  I’d like to put one of those in his hand. I have to think that the original sculptor of this mini really wishes he/she could go back in time and fix this limp little sausage. 

Actually, it’s a separate topic, but I’ve never been entirely sure what the D&D dart is supposed to be. I think it must be some kind of lawn dartish thing, cuz what you throw down at the pub  ant be taken very seriously. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nightwing said:

I’ve never been entirely sure what the D&D dart is supposed to be

Maybe they were thinking of something like the Roman plumbata:

late-roman-plumbata-war-dart-small-6.gif.thumb.jpg.fc28c2c2cb799fdd70d44e59b4f1cb58.jpg

• Like 4

Add a little poison to that and you will have quite the effective weapon!

The exercise of the loaded javelins, called martiobarbuli, must not be omitted. We formerly had two legions in Illyricum, consisting of six thousand men each, which from their extraordinary dexterity and skill in the use of these weapons were distinguished by the same appellation. They supported for a long time the weight of all the wars and distinguished themselves so remarkably that the emperors Diocletian and Maximian on their accession honored them with the titles of Jovian and Herculean and preferred them before all the other legions. Every soldier carries five of these javelins in the hollow of his shield. And thus the legionary soldiers seem to supply the place of archers, for they wound both the men and horses of the enemy before they come within reach of the common missile weapons

— Vegetius, De Re Militari, 1.17
Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Thanks 2