Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

706 Chaos Toad Savage

So cute!

The finishing touches on the skin will be some stippled white hotspots like the ones that we see in the photo of the newt, and reflections of other colors from the environment (like the cool highlights on the newt's back), to really sell the slickness/sliminess.  It's the famed Non-Slimy Slime (NSS) technique.

And/or just Gloss Varnish.  ::P:

See you soon, Andy!

Derek

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dks said:

So cute!

The finishing touches on the skin will be some stippled white hotspots like the ones that we see in the photo of the newt, and reflections of other colors from the environment (like the cool highlights on the newt's back), to really sell the slickness/sliminess.  It's the famed Non-Slimy Slime (NSS) technique.

And/or just Gloss Varnish.  ::P:

See you soon, Andy!

Derek

Thanks Derek!  That helps.  See you next week.

• Like 4

Got an hour to work on him last night and got the shading on the front done-ish.

ctshade1.jpg.23a5c2de8cf9021c80fb9c72e8414dfa.jpg

I have to say, on further reflection, I'm not sure that I'm going to do the slime coat (NSS).  The salamander was mostly a color scheme reference.  I actually based this model on a marine toad and so I might prefer a mostly dry look, we'll see.  Maybe I'l make him mostly dry except on the toxic bumps on his back.  I'm toying in my head with making them either bright red like his belly or a toxic green.  Still considering it (this is why I hate speed projects like this; no time to think it over like I normally would).

Sculpt was inspired by this:

Image result for toad

Red-spot toad (this is similar to what I am thinking for the warts, but bumped up a few notches in brightness, and a darker background):

Image result for red spot toad

• Like 11

you can do it!  If you're going to go with the toad scheme, I'd soften the transition between the back and front colors. The newt has a distinct light/dark constrast line, but the toads's is smoother and more gradual. I guess it's a matter of what you like, but softer transitions feel more natural to me.

I think a bright green might be too much since you have such a saturated red.  To sell the toxic effect, I'd go with a color closer on the wheel to the red (analagous) like a bright yellow or orange.  That would make it look "scary" but wouldn't be quite so intense a contrast. It will also be easier since they're in the same family to blend and you won't have to work so hard!

You got this!!!

• Like 5