Jump to content

Paradoxical Mouse

Eberron Homebrew (5e)

Recommended Posts

Zarantyr 1, 998 YK 

Evening

-----

In Middle Menthis, there is a small, well-kept tavern called The Harpy's Tears. The proprietor, an ancient dwarf named Jasper Khellik, claims the talons hanging above the taps came from a harpy he slew in the Graywall Mountains nearly two hundred years ago. Whether that story is true or not, Khellik has seen Sharn change over the last few centuries, and he is always talkative about the comings and goings of his patrons, especially those that call themselves adventurers.

 

The Smoky Towers district in Middle Menthis is always a great place to look for entertainment - and a friend to enjoy it with. On this Sul, The Harpy's Tears has a few denizens drinking and talking about various thing. At the bar, Koyomi (@Sanael), a frequent patron, sits chatting with Khellik. Nearby Gerryl (@Cygnwulf) is listening in intently. Daniell (@Kangaroorex) is reviewing some research materials for an upcoming lecture. 

 

A pair of human university students sit studying near the fireplace - one with short, bright red hair and another with long, brunette hair. Another lecturer from the university sits closer to the bar, her long blonde hair braided messily. She appears to be pouring over a number of tomes, each in a different language, none of which in common. A group of rather roughed up patrons sits in the darkest corner - if you could call any corner of this place dark - drinking and discussing things in mummers. In this group is a half-orc, rather small for his race, a halfling, an elf and a human. 

 

(I apologize for this introduction - I'm not 100% familiar with your characters personalities yet, so I'm not 100% sure what specifically they are doing. In particular, @haldir I have no idea what Wharr would be doing)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Travelers' Curse or no, I find it difficult to credit these so-called 'Zeke's Commandos' could have traveled so deep into Xen'drik in so short a time! Either these adventurers or the Chronicle itself is lying, no doubt to drum up publicity!" A clear voice with a practiced academic accent rings through the tavern. Smiling, Koyomi slaps her copy of the latest Korranberg Chronicle on the bar, her eyes challenging Jasper to dispute her statement. When the old dwarf just scoffs, she laughs and shakes here head, the rings lining her left ear jingling softly.

 

Looking around the room, she quickly squeezes Jasper's forearm in a show of friendly affection, then judges Gerryl ( @Cygnwulf) with her elbow. "I bet they have a story better than this rag, what do you think?" She nods toward the rough-looking crew in the corner.

 

Standing quickly, she shoulders her walking staff, the two iron rings hanging from the top end thunking dully on worn oak.

 

With one more quick glance backward at Gerryl--an invitation to follow--she winds her way through the tables toward the smallish half-orc and their company. On the way she takes a quick glance at the blonde lecturer's pile of books and nods a greeting to the other elf in the room ( @Kangaroorex).

 

With a friendly smile, she approaches the rough group. With a voice pitched so only the table and Gerryl (if he followed) can hear, she speaks: "Blessings of knowledge and wisdom, friends. You all look like you have a story to tell!"

 

 

( @Paradoxical Mouse,  Let me know if you need rolls!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Sanael said:

"Travelers' Curse or no, I find it difficult to credit these so-called 'Zeke's Commandos' could have traveled so deep into Xen'drik in so short a time! Either these adventurers or the Chronicle itself is lying, no doubt to drum up publicity!" A clear voice with a practiced academic accent rings through the tavern. Smiling, Koyomi slaps her copy of the latest Korranberg Chronicle on the bar, her eyes challenging Jasper to dispute her statement. When the old dwarf just scoffs, she laughs and shakes here head, the rings lining her left ear jingling softly.

 

Looking around the room, she quickly squeezes Jasper's forearm in a show of friendly affection, then judges Gerryl ( @Cygnwulf) with her elbow. "I bet they have a story better than this rag, what do you think?" She nods toward the rough-looking crew in the corner.

 

Standing quickly, she shoulders her walking staff, the two iron rings hanging from the top end thunking dully on worn oak.

 

With one more quick glance backward at Gerryl--an invitation to follow--she winds her way through the tables toward the smallish half-orc and their company. On the way she takes a quick glance at the blonde lecturer's pile of books and nods a greeting to the other elf in the room ( @Kangaroorex).

 

With a friendly smile, she approaches the rough group. With a voice pitched so only the table and Gerryl (if he followed) can hear, she speaks: "Blessings of knowledge and wisdom, friends. You all look like you have a story to tell!"

 

 

( @Paradoxical Mouse,  Let me know if you need rolls!)

 

As Koyomi walks by the lecturer's pile of books, she can read the titles of 3 of them:

Giants of Xen'drik (In Orcish - oddly enough)

Artifacts of Ancients (In Elvish)

Flora & Fauna of Xen'drik (In Elvish)

 

Nearly as soon as she approaches the table, the murmurs among the group stop (Roll Perception). The half-orc looks at her inquisitively and takes a swift chug of his ale before speaking. "We may have a story - but it's not to tell." Now that she's closer, Koyomi can see that the halfling and human each have a melancholy sort of look to them, and the elf seems to be glaring at her with an air of hostility. Aside from his words, the half-orc is relatively stoic, if not curious about the elf who approached their table. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

((perception roll: d20+skill: 2+4=6))

 

((First roll of the game... Epic.:rolleyes: ))

 

Koyomi leans against her walking staff, glancing around the table with a sympathetic frown. She nods once, a movement that displays the octogram pendant around her throat. "Aureon teaches that stories have weight. My experience has always been that burdens are easiest borne when shared... And this ale is a sort of burden, too. I'd be happy to share, but if you'd prefer not..?" She smiles radiantly, lifting her mug, and lets the implied offer of a round of drinks hang in the air.

 

((If that bait is at all effective: Persuasion d20+skill:  16+5= 21... Much better))

 

((Also, can I tell whether the scowling elf is Aereni/Valeni/Five Nations?))

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

((Five Nations - the elf is wearing Brelish clothing and seems very close to their companions))

 

The half-orc sighs, staring down at his glass. Waving to the nearby chairs, he speaks with a sullen tone. "If you and your friend would like to sit down," he points to Garryl before continuing. "before I begin, it would be best if we introduce ourselves to each other." He has a gentlemanly air to his voice. He turns to look at his compatriots, who each nod in turn. "My name is Colindir, and my friends are Mabi, Ari,  and Eriixi'en." He points to the halfling, human, and elf in turn. "and you are?" While he seemed to be willing to share after Koyomi's offer of ale, he appeared to be measuring her to be certain he wanted to share. After introducing Eriixi'en, he seemed to pause, almost as if to introduce another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(throwing perception in just in case, 11-1 = 10)

Gerryl eyed the chronicle, then Koyomi's retreating form and hesitated for a moment. He then quickly scooped up the issue (he hadn't yet had a chance to pick up this week's edition, and rag or not he still wanted to read it) and followed along, grumbling under his breath," could give a fellow half a second to catch up before you go steppin' off a tower..."

He shook his head momentarily and then grinned as he approached the table and extended a hand, "Gerryl, pleasure to meet you.  You'll have to forgive my friend here, Koyomi can be a bit forward, but she means well."  He spoke with a mild baritone, his accent a little too clipped to reflect the more middle class clothing he wore, but it unmistakably marked him as a native of the city of towers.

Gerryl turned to wave to Jasper, holding his breath a little and hoping that the older dwarf wouldn't remember his unpaid tab from earlier in the week.

 

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Koyomi tests a hand on Gerryl's shoulder with a grin. In a remarkable imitation of Gerryl's accent, she says,

"You'll have to forgive my friend, here. Gerryl's a bit of a sick in the mud, but he means well."

 

Leaning her staff against an open chair - with the dull clunk of iron ring against wood - she gives a very quick bow to the table. "Eriixi'en, Ari, Mabi. Colindir. It is an absolute pleasure. I'm - as Gerryl said- Koyomi... And I will also be right back."

 

With that, she moves back to the bar. In a quiet voice, she speaks to Jasper: "let's just do a pitcher... And this should cover a second pitcher, too? I think that lot might need it." And she calmly slides a gold coin across the bar. (Not trying to hide it, but definitely not showing off)

 

While waiting for Jasper to fill the first pitcher, Koyomi turns out toward the tavern and leans back on the bar, playing idly with one of the braids that hangs in front of her ears. Spotting Daniell, she waves.

 

((Barring any intervening events, once the first pitcher is full, she'll make her way back to the table, pour for everyone,  and take the seat where she left her staff))

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

((hmm. Now that I've had a chance to take a look at the PHB, it lists a gallon of ale as 2sp. It's cheaper than I thought; assuming Koyomi would know how much it costs to drink at her regular watering hole, maybe not a full gold piece. 5 silver would cover two gallons and still be a pretty generous tip. Reasonable?))

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

((Sanael - hope you're good with me taking Jasper from you at this point, Additionally, that is perfectly reasonable))

 

Jasper ignores Garryl's wave - instead paying attention to Koyomi as she payed for a couple of pitchers. He takes the Galifar and hands back 6 Sovereign before filling a pitcher to hand to her. 

 

Back at the table when Koyomi returns with the pitcher to pour, Colindir speaks again "It is good to meet you both Gerryl, Koyomi." Once his drink is poured, he begins his tale.

 

"Our party was commissioned by one of the Cyran nobles to venture into the Mournland. Now, we've entered there before, but not nearly  as far as this one wanted us to go. We were to be paid a good chuck of change - 10 platinum dragons - so we took the quest despite the deeper venture. We'd reached the edge of the Mournland and gone not a mile in before Eriixi'ilia - Eriixi'en's sister - called out a threat. There, in our path, were monsters like none we'd ever seen. Normally you don't see monstrosities that close to the edges - but these were even worse than those 10-25 miles in. Huge, gaping beasts with nothing but mouths. Their screams could make your blood curdle. Eriixi'ilia, being our scout, had only just alerted us of their presence before they noticed us. Before we could reach her, we heard her scream..."

 

"That's enough!" Eriixi'en interrupts, his voice breaking in the process. "They don't need to hear the rest."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Koyomi holds Eriixi'en's eyes for a moment, her own expression one of sympathy. 

"I think we can fill in a few blanks," she says, downcast. "What happened... After?"

 

((How likely is it Koyomi could identify the type of creatures Colindir is talking about? Would it be an Arcana roll? Nature?))

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eriixi'en shares Koyomi's gaze for a moment, sighing. He continues Colindir's tale. "After...we returned and told our patron we'd be unable to complete his quest. We...held a funeral for Eriixi'ilia and came here. Without her, we stood no chance in the Mournland..." Eriixi'en's voice was surprisingly stoic for the subject matter.

 

((Arcana Check if you'd like to try to identify the beasts))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

((d20+arcana: 17+2=19))

Koyomi is quiet for a moment while she digests this tale. Gerryl might recognize the gleam of adventurelust starting to kindle in her eyes.

 

 

 

((D20+perception: 4+4=8 ... How capable is this group; is Koyomi likely to think she and a few other neophyte adventurers could feasibly join Colindir&co. to help them try it again?))

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Sanael said:

((d20+arcana: 17+2=19))

Koyomi is quiet for a moment while she digests this tale. Gerryl might recognize the gleam of adventurelust starting to kindle in her eyes.

 

 

 

((D20+perception: 4+4=8 ... How capable is this group; is Koyomi likely to think she and a few other neophyte adventurers could feasibly join Colindir&co. to help them try it again?))

 

Koyomi can't identify the monster described to her. From what she's seen, they must be capable, as they mention having gone into the Mournland multiple times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gerryl raises his mug "To friends and family gone" And then takes a drink.   

After a brief pause, trying to hold back his own curiosity and failing, he continued.

"So, ah.. if you don't mind my asking, I've never had the chance to talk to someone who went into the Mournland intentionally." he eyed his friend for a moment before continuing, "Just what kind of dangers have you seen there?"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing Gerryl succumb to his own curiosity, Koyomi settles back into her chair with a small smile.

 

While Gerryl questions Colindir's team, Koyomi watches the group's faces, and also glances around the room periodically.

 

((Mostly listening to whatever's being said at the table, but also watching to see what can be determined about the rest of the team - Ari and Mabi especially, since they've been quiet so far - and to see if anyone else in the tavern has curious ears.

Mouse, I'm not sure if you'd rather perception or insight (or both) here?))

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×