Been working on a project for a while so I figured I would show the step by step progress so far.  First I ordered a custom cut from Warbases here in the UK.  Due to a mistake on my part I ended up ordering twelve feet of river.  My fault and I am not complaining as I can use all of it.  Each section of river is made up of a base and two banks.  Each section is six inches wide and the bends turn about 45 degrees. 
IMG_0794.jpg

Filler was added on the edges and in the bed.  These were sanded down. 

IMG_0798.jpg

Basing material was added.

IMG_0800.jpg

A basic paintjob was slapped on. 

IMG_0832.jpg

Then the edges were dammed off and resin was poured to get the depth for the water. 

IMG_0834.jpg

Two part epoxy resin was added to the surface.  This was tapped with a popsicle stick while it was setting to develop the waves. 

IMG_0835.jpg

I only have sixteen more sections to do the water on.  Next steps are touching up paint, adding vegetation and felt on the bottom of each section. 

Hope you like.

• Like 13

If you keep the walls of the dam at an angle (i.e. not perpendicular to the base), then the meniscus is formed past the edge of the basing. When you trim it back clean, you can get rid of the meniscus entirely and get a level transition from tile to tile.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, MojoBob said:

If you keep the walls of the dam at an angle (i.e. not perpendicular to the base), then the meniscus is formed past the edge of the basing. When you trim it back clean, you can get rid of the meniscus entirely and get a level transition from tile to tile.

I did it perpendicular and hacked the meniscus off.  The two part epoxy covered it up.  I like the idea but my cutting at right angle skills are minimal.  Over 36 separate cuts on the 18 parts I would screw it up.

Edited by snitchythedog
9 hours ago, snitchythedog said:

IMG_0800.jpg

That foot made me think that you were working on a proper river, one that minis couldn't wade across.  Then the table came in focus.

Looking quite nice so far and great work on the resin.  Also not a bad idea to use some custom MDF.   Was there any danger of warping?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Looking quite nice so far and great work on the resin.  Also not a bad idea to use some custom MDF.   Was there any danger of warping?

Thanks for the comps all. 

I have some warping issues with a couple of the straights but I am training those back now.  Once that is done and the resin is in place they should be set. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

All of the bends are finished.  Water is fully textured and vegetation done. They will have to set up for a day or so and then I will get the felt on the bottom.  If I have full cooperation from the wife I will have half of the remaining river sections poured this weekend. 

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...