1 minute ago, Valthorn_Illian said:

Anybody have advice on how to do eyebrows on a Reaper figure? Is it a solid line or what?

On Reaper figures, I do just a dark line in eye-brow position. Larger scale figures I'd worry about texturing, but at 28mm? Nah. I like picking a color slightly darker than the hair color if the hair is light, or same if hair is dark. Put some flow improver in, and use a long super narrow brush. Dip the brush, blot it so it doesn't run, then trace them in.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

On Reaper figures, I do just a dark line in eye-brow position. Larger scale figures I'd worry about texturing, but at 28mm? Nah. I like picking a color slightly darker than the hair color if the hair is light, or same if hair is dark. Put some flow improver in, and use a long super narrow brush. Dip the brush, blot it so it doesn't run, then trace them in.

Thanks, I wasn't sure how to go about it.

• Like 2

It is pretty straight forward. Would practice drawing fine lines on a fingernail before taking it to the figure if you aren't confident on that part to start. The flow improver will also help make sure the paint lies very flat, so if you extend a line too far it will cover smoothly with a dab of the flesh tone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, you can just follow a thin line where the eyebrow is, and then later if you mess it up, you can fix it with whatever skin color you’re using.

• Like 2

@Valthorn_Illian: What figure are you about to paint the eyebrows on?  Male or female?  Human or a fantastical race/species?   What color skin and hair?

A face can look more "masculine" or "feminine" depending on the shape of the eyebrow and the contrast with the skin color -- and you control these details on your miniature. 

More feminine eyebrows usually are more tapered and arched, and sharper/higher-contrast to the skin.  (In our culture, it's typically women who pluck and shape their brows, or redraw them with makeup.)

If you do an image-search for people (celebrities or otherwise) whom you consider "handsome" or "beautiful" (or conversely "rugged" or "homely"), and focus on their eyebrows, you'll probably see a great range of shapes and colors.   Pick a person you think your miniature resembles, and try to copy their eyebrows.

When I teach my class on "Painting Expressive Faces and Eyes" at ReaperCon, and I get to the part about eyebrows, I pass around some pages of headshots from a ballet company, for reference.

Anyway, good luck!

Derek

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

DON'T TOUCH MY EYEBROWS! But seriously, I tried to just get a basic hair-cut in San Diego and the lady tried to go for my eyebrows afterward, no prompting. Bleep no! I don't have a unibrow to deal with, so bleep off. They're fine without plucking and mangling! <rants about expectations of female eyebrows>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Derek's class is great, more than just eyebrows. I especially liked when he illustrates the expression with his elastic face.. ~π√

Eyebrows wrap from the frontal plane to the lateral plane of the face. The temporal ridge where the planes meet is where the eyebrow turns down. In men, the ridge is distinct as is the angle of change.

At 54mm display painting I usually add a stippled highlight (eyebrow main and flesh highlight) for texture, larger busts, more colors. I don't paint smaller.

Older folks have long bushy eyebrows so your stylist may be on to something but I've never understood why we have such non natural ideas of beauty.

• Like 1