So I decided I needed a Bombshell Dog tag. So I went and dug out the only Bombshell model in my collection - the Morihalda bust. Getting her ready for reapercon will be a challenge, but after tonight, I think I'm up for it.

I'm really happy with her skin on her face and chest. Not sure what to do about the furry ears, though.

1566270864520411933854150191066.thumb.jpg.34b41dcebaa4673b48607dd49ced1b23.jpg

1566270905159132416347587740024.jpg

15662709556877125990665071252476.jpg

• Like 20

Looking good. Wish I could help with the ears but I tend to just punt when it comes to fur and drybrush a few browns...

• Like 3

She looks like she needs some blue-tac putty and a lid to hold her, or else she'll get finger greased and be tough to paint. Did you use gray primer on her?

I did the ears on mine to match the skin, roughly, instead of the hair.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

She looks like she needs some blue-tac putty and a lid to hold her, or else she'll get finger greased and be tough to paint. Did you use gray primer on her?

I did the ears on mine to match the skin, roughly, instead of the hair.

I didnt use primer - it always ends up grunging up my minis in my experience. 

Going to the store is hard right now, otherwise I would gave bought some blue tac.

I'd recommend finding a primer you like, especially on resin. It likes the finger grease. Only takes a thin layer to do the job. On this one I had her on a wine cork, and just the edge of her got rubbed by my fingers (did eventually rub off the primer only in that spot of the bark). Those spots were tons more difficult to get paint onto. If that had been the whole thing, I would have had a miserable time with it.

The skin tones are a good start, but seem like they just need you to continue further :)

• Thanks 1

My worry right now is that I might not have gone light/dark enough. I really want the lighting to be soft, similar to when the sun barely peeks through cloudy skies into a forest, muted by the tree canopy. I think the shadows/highlights can illustrate the structure of the face as of now, but I'm worried I don't have enough contrast.

• Like 3

I'd tend to agree. She needs more contrast and interest. You could give a little blush to the cheeks, which would help with coloration and be less "shadow". That may help. I'd try going "too far" on the contrast, then seeing what you think, and toning it back later if you don't like it.

• Like 2

You have a few very faint spots, but it looks good to continue to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2019 at 8:52 AM, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Before I take it further, is the blending smooth enough - it looks kind of spotty to me.

This is a tough question. 

As @Cyradis noted, you have the skills to do smooth blends. 

But I suggest that it doesn't need to be smooth at every step of the way, unless you have the final result in mind so perfectly that you know how much of an area each value needs to cover. 

The colors of her hair, for example, will affect how we perceive the skin, eyes, ears, dress, necklace, etc.  It's all linked.  Will the hair be dark, light, midtone?  Paint over the hair with some of that color, and the face will probably look different.

If you "finish" the face before you've painted the hair, then you might get paralyzed when you realize later that it really needed higher contrast and you'll have to paint over your hard work making that intermediate stage smooth.

Instead, you might try painting on the rough highlights and shadows all over the bust, jumping up a few steps with each layer, just to block out your colors and extreme values.  Squint at it to see whether you like the contrast.  Refine by enlarging/shrinking/moving the patches of each color.  Then smooth out the transitions with intermediate layers. 

But here's your grain of salt: I've painted lots of 30mm figures, but never a bust.  If I need to repaint a face at 30mm scale to get more contrast, it is small and quick (an hour or less).  I imagine that it would take a lot longer to repaint a face on a bust.

Question for @Cyradis: How did you work out the values on your blue lion bust (if you even remember)?  Smooth layered progressions from midtone down to shadows and up to highlights, or darkest-to-lightest, or lightest-to-darkest; or did you block in the rough values and then smooth the steps in between; or something else?

Derek

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I had 7 blue paints total for the lion bust, I think. I did my base coat and then I blended using glazes/layers at each interval, both down in shadows and up in highlights. A little bit of blocking, but not chunky style; may have layered stuff first before glazes. Some areas were harsher than others, but it was less of a problem than on skin because I went back over it with 1 shade different for brushing in textured fur on top, so it wasn't supposed to be fully smooth in the end. I hid the not smooth in the fur. 

The Morihalda bust I did I had to smooth blend the skin twice because I had an airbrush accident next to her and had to redo half her chest. I went for very strong contrast on mine. Bombshell has a great example of a soft contrast version. I found the hair very difficult because it is so darn curly. 

• Like 5

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:17 PM, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Progress before appointment.

I dont particularly like the red in the cheeks. Going to glaze that waaaayyyyy down.

Blushes are usually not visible through fur, so yeah, you may want to glaze it way down. 

(The exception is in cartoons... )

The ears. 

If you wanted to add any reds or pinks, then the inside of the ears is the spot to do it. But I think it would have been easier if it was white primer there. 

(Not that I can do it properly... )

The fur on the outside of the ears?

Give it a dark wash, dry-brush with the original fur colour on top, then go over with a lighter colour on the very highest parts or the tips?  

Unless you intend to do a lot of embellishment?

Have you seen the online comic Grrlpower?  

And the character 'Dabbler'?

She's got a pretty wild colourscheme...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Have you seen the online comic Grrlpower?  

And the character 'Dabbler'?

She's got a pretty wild colourscheme...

An amazing webcomic if I may say so.  

Now I wanna try to find a bust that's work for Dabbler or Max...

• Like 1