Sign in to follow this  
Loup_Garou_Gras

Negative Energy "Glow"

I am painting an evil cleric NPC for an upcoming campaign.  He has a morningstar imbued with negative energy and I wanted to make it glow with negative energy.  Was thinking about how to utilize OSL.  Start with black and then blend to a purple?  The spikes could be blended from black to purple tips.  Where white light would normally fall on a character with OSL I could make it black, which would eliminate less color as the distance from the mace increases?  I thought I saw a post in this forum about this topic, but my searches yielded nothing.  Any advice appreciated.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Loup_Garou_Gras said:

I am painting an evil cleric NPC for an upcoming campaign.  He has a morningstar imbued with negative energy and I wanted to make it glow with negative energy.  Was thinking about how to utilize OSL.  Start with black and then blend to a purple?  The spikes could be blended from black to purple tips.  Where white light would normally fall on a character with OSL I could make it black, which would eliminate less color as the distance from the mace increases?  I thought I saw a post in this forum about this topic, but my searches yielded nothing.  Any advice appreciated.

so ... two questions so I can get a better idea what to suggest ...

a) could you snap a photo of the unpainted mini?

b) by negative energy - do you mean like inverted-energy ala Mr Negative (spiderman ps4) or Raven (teen titans animated) ?  or do you mean something else?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonfreeman said:

so ... two questions so I can get a better idea what to suggest ...

a) could you snap a photo of the unpainted mini?

b) by negative energy - do you mean like inverted-energy ala Mr Negative (spiderman ps4) or Raven (teen titans animated) ?  or do you mean something else?

Im guessing he's referring to negative energy in the rpg sense which is similar to necrotic energy. A.k.a death effects and the like. Draining of one's life force, etc.

• Like 2

@jonfreeman Gargs has it correct, trying to convey a sense of necrotic energy.  I my mind I envision a black "glow", not in the sense of a black light effect.  Instead of emitting a glow, I think of it as negating the surrounding light.  My thinking behind adding the purple (or some other color) was to try and avoid the miniature just looking dirty as opposed to showing a magical effect. 

Edited by Loup_Garou_Gras

3 hours ago, Loup_Garou_Gras said:

@jonfreeman Gargs has it correct, trying to convey a sense of necrotic energy.  I my mind I envision a black "glow", not in the sense of a black light effect.  Instead of emitting a glow, I think of it as negating the surrounding light.  My thinking behind adding the purple (or some other color) was to try and avoid the miniature just looking dirty as opposed to showing a magical effect. 

with there being like a sculpted flame on the mini in question that might be hard to pull off with the intended approach.

black undercoat with color-shift paint layer on top MIGHT work?  wouldn't be the intended aspect, but it can produce some unearthly appearances?

• Like 1

Cool idea overall, this especially made me think.

On 8/21/2019 at 6:04 AM, Loup_Garou_Gras said:

eliminate less color as the distance from the mace increases

There is the speedpainting technique of zenithal highlighting and glazing. This might be applicable here, paint in a value map, (shadow black, midtones grey, higlightes whit or offwhite). Then glaze and use less glaze the closer to the weapon you get. The result should be something that does not 'fade to black' but looses all color.

But beware of wizards and cats, they might want to try and color the rest in.

Been busy with work so not had time to finish my plasticard experiments.  But I was thinking about this point.  With normal OSL it shows up better when applied to darker figures.  So this should be the opposite, where I will need to choose a light color in order for the "black out" effect to be noticeable at its furthest most reaches correct?  I plan on standard Grey/TMM for the armor, but what recommendations for  a light color that would look evil?

3 hours ago, Loup_Garou_Gras said:

Been busy with work so not had time to finish my plasticard experiments.  But I was thinking about this point.  With normal OSL it shows up better when applied to darker figures.  So this should be the opposite, where I will need to choose a light color in order for the "black out" effect to be noticeable at its furthest most reaches correct?  I plan on standard Grey/TMM for the armor, but what recommendations for  a light color that would look evil?

I am convinced that any hue can be made to look good or evil. I may just pick a light gray for evil cleric robes though, and let the dark anti-glow pull it down. That will help keep the focus on the OSL.

• Like 2