Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.

Froggy the Great

50 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Last night I learned how imprtant having a big city map is with younger players. ::o:

Suddenly they wanted to visit ALL THE PLACES!

I may need to divvy up notice boards by location as well as level.

And suddenly the old City State of The Invincible Overlord has become your best friend.

GEM

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, kay13 said:

The only other thing I think needs to go on there is basic sewing/mending.

The number of people I know who can't sew on a button or take up their own pants is SAD!

I know for me (and many of you I'm sure)

Basic cooking, sewing & cleaning were covered at home (we had chores we were expected to do, including one night of cooking dinner for the family per week, starting from a reasonably young age).

Pets - learned by doing, and that included the mucky side of things (and as an older sibling I WAS expected to help with the littles)

Basic book keeping & maintaining a home were taught by my parents as well, mainly through example.

Person hygiene - you knew you hadn't done something right when Mum looked at you then grabbed a facecloth and started scrubbing.

Siblings are good at teaching you how to deal with NO.

But many people don't get taught them at all.  And even if you do get taught at home, different people do things different ways so its always worth getting a refresher.

I'd also add basic "how to vote" and maybe also super basic "how to fill out a form" not kidding, these are skills I've really had  to work with on my own kids because forms look so daunting and they don't always understand 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 7Ninjasinatrenchcoat said:

I'd also add basic "how to vote" and maybe also super basic "how to fill out a form" not kidding, these are skills I've really had  to work with on my own kids because forms look so daunting and they don't always understand 

Filling out a form is a real skill that a shocking number of people don’t know how to do. When I was unemployed I took a class about finding a job and the first thing they covered was filling out an application properly. 

• Like 13

7 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Yep, I eventually figured out how to be a Lefty in a world of Rightys, but my school wouldn't or couldn't give me the opportunity.

Plus teenage me would've jumped at any chance to just sit quietly and read a book rather than participate in lessons.

In the late 1970's my kindergarten teacher tied my left hand to my chair to make me write right-handed... Now my penmanship sucks with both hands.

Back then, for a leftie, it was adapt or perish - sure, the school system had like one pair of left-handed scissors per grade, but I just used the right-handed ones with my left hand, or used them right-handed if it worked better to reach what I was cutting. I long ago just adapted to the idea of using whichever hand was closest to the job I was doing or made it easiest.

• Like 6
  • Sad 6

1 minute ago, redambrosia said:

Filling out a form is a real skill that a shocking number of people don’t know how to do. When I was unemployed I took a class about finding a job and the first thing they covered was filling out an application properly. 

Just understanding what information is being asked for, and what the correct way to present it is can be daunting

2 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

In the late 1970's my kindergarten teacher tied my left hand to my chair to make me write right-handed... Now my penmanship sucks with both hands.

Back then, for a leftie, it was adapt or perish - sure, the school system had like one pair of left-handed scissors per grade, but I just used the right-handed ones with my left hand, or used them right-handed if it worked better to reach what I was cutting. I long ago just adapted to the idea of using whichever hand was closest to the job I was doing or made it easiest.

I'm always stunned by stories like this. Growing up my best friend was a Leftie and I never saw any of this (nor did he), and I grew up in a rural town in a Conservative Southern State. It boggles my mind to think people actually did this in the latter half of the twentieth century and beyond.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:
2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Nah. Too forced and there isn't motivation for using that on him. Unfortunately, I'm again in the situation of "I have to think evil things" to put forth a story. I need to give him a b***h to rescue! But that means putting a dog in a situation to be rescued. :unsure:

I wish they'd chosen to go on the cheese farm adventure next!

The cardinal sin of DMing: expecting your players to go the way you want them to. ::P:

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0023.html

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

15 minutes ago, 7Ninjasinatrenchcoat said:

Just understanding what information is being asked for, and what the correct way to present it is can be daunting

I'm always stunned by stories like this. Growing up my best friend was a Leftie and I never saw any of this (nor did he), and I grew up in a rural town in a Conservative Southern State. It boggles my mind to think people actually did this in the latter half of the twentieth century and beyond.

I was never forced to do anything right handed but I was also never shown how to do anything left handed so my penmanship is atrocious and the style is unique because I pretty much had to figure it out on my own.  same thing with cutting and music.  the school followed the policy of we wont force you but we aren't going to help you either. 

Then again, anyone who knows me knows I have stubborn streak a mile wide and this is just the sort of thing that will make me do something even if I am capable of the easy route. 

• Like 12

I'm confused. Other than guitar, and maybe string instruments like violin, what would left handedness affect in music? Every instrument I can think of uses both hands relatively equally.

If you're so strongly biased toward one hand that the other is basically useless, I can see it, but that would be a problem regardless of which hand was weak. And handedness definitely shouldn't affect singing.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Tapetum said:

I'm confused. Other than guitar, and maybe string instruments like violin, what would left handedness affect in music? Every instrument I can think of uses both hands relatively equally.

If you're so strongly biased toward one hand that the other is basically useless, I can see it, but that would be a problem regardless of which hand was weak. And handedness definitely shouldn't affect singing.

go ahead,

Try to play the flute from the left side.  I dare you! ::D:  Wind instruments aren't so bad but any stringed instrument is highly handed:  you're weaker hand controls the bow or strum and your dominant the strings or chords.  Brass us also handed with the valves set up for the right hand and the left acting as support.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

Lawnmowers are easy to operate....

Buy a goat instead

IMG_20190819_151124.jpg

That... is a happy goat.

My ex-girlfriend kept goats - because sheep are stoooopid!*

One of the male goats apparently thought it was a dog, and followed her around - it even played fetch.

The Auld Grump

* Seriously, seriously dumb creatures. You know that crook shepherds used to carry around? It was to pull the sheep out of whatever stupid situation the danged thing had gotten itself into this time.

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

That... is a happy goat.

My ex-girlfriend kept goats - because sheep are stoooopid!*

One of the male goats apparently thought it was a dog, and followed her around - it even played fetch.

The Auld Grump

* Seriously, seriously dumb creatures. You know that crook shepherds used to carry around? It was to pull the sheep out of whatever stupid situation the danged thing had gotten itself into this time.

Sheep are indeed stupid - the saying around here (there are a lot of sheep) is that if they didn't taste so good no-one would  keep them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

What's on top of the building, boy?

Roof! Roof!

What's on the outside of a tree, boy?

Bark!

Who's the best baseball player, ever, boy?

Ruth! Ruth!

Who's the 25th President of the United States, boy?

Grover Cleveland?

Hey! No fair!

That's a Dad joke!

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Storytelling in Robinhood on the 27th.

Megan is getting up from her nap - now it is time for mine. (Brigid watching. She has been feeling a wee bit rambunctious today. Not misbehaving, just happy and rowdy. Starting at about 4 AM. <_< )

Eating the chili was a mistake - all my body wants to do right now is sleep. Good chili - Megan is to be commended.

The Auld Grump

2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Last night I learned how imprtant having a big city map is with younger players. ::o:

Suddenly they wanted to visit ALL THE PLACES!

I may need to divvy up notice boards by location as well as level.

Silly Megan - the age of the player has nothing to do with it! ::D:

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, TGP said:

:huh: 

:upside: The last time Bugs Bunny got anywhere near a rocket the results were non-optimal. 

Are you gonna make me look up whatever this meme is? :rock:

::o:

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

This sounds like the start to what could be an interesting story....

>runs off to make some popcorn<

Only interesting to some. Standard ESD suit up (the Iron Man jokes flowed) around all t he pyrotechnics. Something very similar to the below:

4AB6E669-DF1E-4D48-89F1-4A764C576852.jpeg.feb53ce3e8c59ec812c339c7cb54bfd9.jpeg

And obligatory food picture, tonight’s successful hunt:

A5E7ADE1-46C5-41AD-A302-832115634008.thumb.jpeg.298133e82187380af8ca5d70917d6e6f.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2