Froggy the Great

Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.

Oof. Hard to make myself do anything. I’m up, and out, but getting out of my car to talk to people is proving difficult. Maybe it’s because I’m still so tired and pained. Ugh. 

I found a book at the library called Goblin Quest. Seems like a fun read. Goblin saves the day sort of thing.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Having met you, I would concur with "advanced" on spoken English and "native" or very close on written English. (I envy your second-language skills.)

57 minutes ago, kitchen_wolf said:

@Cranky Dog - As a native English speaker that had to learn it twice, I never suspected that it was a second language for you.  You should be fine.

Don't give me to much credit on my level of mastery of the English language.

I was born in a bilingual environment (London Ontario). French at home, English everywhere else. I can honestly say that I learned both at the same time and was fully bilingual by age 3, so no particular effort in learning them was ever done. Of course, once my family moved to a more French speaking part of Canada (near Quebec city), my conversational English skills took a bit of a hit. The knowledge and experience is all there, but it normally takes me a couple of days to get back to regular fluency, be it with a slight accent.

Incidentally, 90% of my second interview was conducted in English, and I was clearly the most advanced speaker of the bunch.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Just finished a HUGE checklist that was supposed to be done by someone else 3 years ago, over a component I have no authority over. The review with the customer will hopefully go well. 

So with that no longer hanging over my head, I can now take some time to write about what’s been going on family wise the last month or two. I’ll spoiler it as it may grow long. Nothing personally between me or my wife, but others, nor dramatic like divorce or fighting. Just... life... I guess. I debated telling this at all, as its a bit mundane, but it has been bugging me that my friends don’t know.

If you recall, my father passed in April, and he was my grandmother’s caretaker, for what that’s worth. He lived an hour away, but was semi-retired so made it to her house 3-4 times a week. His parents were adamant that they would stay and die in their house of 40+ years, and being their only son, he was determined to make that happen. Grandpa passed in 2007, so grandma has been on her own for 12 years. She was a kept woman, and I had to show her, at age 80, how to put gas in her car. So it was rough on her, more than she let on we found. 

My father’s death threw things into a tizzy. She was difficult to get her to take medicine, even when she was young. She already lost sight in one eye because she didn’t follow the “stupid” doctor’s instructions, either by the path of her resistance to being told what to do or covering for her mental loss. A very typical proud Southern belle, who would get made up properly to go buy toilet paper, I suspect she was trying to not show how much help she really needed. Blood pressure through the roof (260/210), failing eyesight, failing memory, and the trade-in value of a 92 year old drops rapidly. My dad had hired a housekeeper to come in and “clean”, since grandma knew which days she came and made sure to clean first. This was fine with everybody, and the housekeeper became our eyes to make sure grandma ate, took meds, and had her needs met. This became more important after his death. This lady would also come over in the evenings after her work finished to just chat and whatnot. Grandma always talked about what a great friend she had. 

I visited on my way down to ReaperCon staying the night before the Con. Her memory was getting very bad. Even to the point where I pondered if she might forget I was there, hear someone snoring, and then panic. But the night went without incident. I couldn’t stop on the way back, but I did call the next weekend.

She had no memory of my visit, and tried to guilt me into coming to visit since I hadn’t seen her “in years”. Things were getting bad, and that month she went into the hospital for back pain. Cracked rib, with “being old” the likely culprit. My brother and I start talking about nursing homes, for which she would excommunicate the both of us if she could. Our aunt had power of attorney and was coming to the same conclusion.

Then October came. Grandma’s housekeeper and friend for the past four years was suddenly “horrible” and a “thief”, and was fired by her. But when the lady came in the evenings, it was all good, and grandma talked to her about having to fire the housekeeper because of those things. Made it a bit awkward, but she was a good friend anyway. But things could not continue, and grandma finally accepted that she did need help. But only during the day! Being out in the Texas panhandle, there are not a lot of day services like that, but my aunt managed to get four ladies to rotate in and out, six hour shifts, and have someone there 12 hours a day. 

Until the third night when Grandma ran panicked to a neighbor’s house in her nightgown because she was being “robbed”. The neighbor called the police, but also  knew of the day help. While the police were on their way, grandma decided she was going to go back, get her gun, and kill the intruder. The neighbor managed to stall her, and called the poor girl that was still inside desperately trying to find her charge. She ran out in tears (18 yo) into the police. Meanwhile, grandma has decided the neighbor is in on it, bites him, and tries to escape through a window. The police tell the neighbor he cannot keep her from returning to her house or that’s kidnapping. They also refuse to take her to the ER as my grandmother refuses to go. The help leaves, grandma goes home, locks up, and calls my aunt out in Washington state that everybody has abandoned her and quit. Of course, the neighbor and police had already called, so she knew what the real story was. Another neighbor was able to come over, calm her down, and stayed two nights with her. The morning after, grandma asks when the day help is coming as they are late. 

My aunt managed to convince two of the original four to continue until arrangements can be made. The next day auntie gets a phone call that Grandma is in a lot of back pain and is wailing. Call the ER! Its another rib. Aunt pleads with the hospital to have her declared unfit to care for herself and moved to the local nursing home. Twice the home tried to get her to go, but she refuses. The hospital is going to discharge her back home, when something unknown happens and suddenly she is declared unfit and they try shipping her off to a nursing facility that’s 100 miles away. Without clothes or necessities! Aunt gets the housekeeper on the phone, manages to grab a bag, and then deliver it to the hospital. Manages to calm her down by changing nouns. It isn’t a nursing facility now, but a rehab place. Grandma agrees reluctantly, but is told it will help her ribs. This was on Thursday.

That Saturday, aunt gets a call. Grandma was complaining of hip pain, so they did an xray. Fractured hip! Brother drives up from Oklahoma City for the surgery Monday. Aunt flies out and is there on Wednesday. Grandma gets discharged to the nursing, er, rehab facility. Brother goes home, Aunt stays until Tuesday then flies home. 

Call Thursday night. They gave grandma a bath, tended the wounds, and put her in bed. Took the towels to the laundry, and she had passed when they returned. My aunt hadn’t even unpacked before she flew back. 

I’ve tried to be sad for her, but I cannot. Every conversation I have had every weekend since my father died has been the same. And the conversation would repeat every five or six minutes, with her getting constantly confused on who I was, how old I was (I kept getting halved to 23), if I was married (19 years), etc. It was very hard calling, as she wouldn’t remember that I had called the week before, and would lay in the guilt for not calling in forever. She was not really there and was in a hellish existence. She outlived three of her four children. She would ask how my father was doing, and was learning about it for the first time repeatedly. She asked me once why she was still alive, and that’s a hard question to answer. I have my thoughts on why the universe did that, and I don’t like the answer so I won’t discuss that further other than to say it seems to look out for my well being, which seems conceited and selfish. Anyway.

We buried her Saturday, next to her husband of 64 years. She was without him a total of 28 of her nearly 93 years on this rock. We knew they loved each other deeply. Everybody did. Since he died, she was sad, but did the best she could.

During this last weekend after the gravesite service, our aunt wanted us to take from the house what we could and wanted. More cleaning to come later, of course. But.

We found her journals she started after my grandfather’s death. Pleading for God to come and reunite them. About how much she missed him. Begging for some comfort while she was alone. She stopped writing them after a year and a half, writing that it was just too hard to do. She wrote that she was going to hide the books, so my aunt wouldn’t find them. My aunt took that pretty hard, and she has the books now, and eventually will be able to read them. But not now. 

So if you want, you can say a prayer, tip a bit of scotch, or whatever. It’s not something I ask, nor she would want. Well, maybe the scotch. But I do not mind that she’s gone. I’m sure to miss her, but she is where she wanted to be for what I’m sure felt like eternity. Married at 16, and 12 years a widow.

I’m sure if she could, she would be saying “it’s about damn time!”

Okay, much longer than I thought, so glad I did the spoilers.

Have a good day, and smile! Because it’s good to smile and have a day.

• Like 14
  • Sad 14

It's horribble to watch a person die piece by piece like that and not be able to do anything.   

And at the end you feel ashamed because you feel some sort of relief that it's over. 

I'll toast her memory with a cup of Earl Grey. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I'm not sure she's looking at it as a way out. The school has failed them miserably as to where they should be academically. And while she is having issues with work getting done she, and sometimes her sister as well, has recently been getting physically ill before school. So I'm not unconvinced that something is going on there that might be part of the overall issue.

If it were me this would be raising some intensely red flags.

Looks like time for some quiet questioning of other parents to see if anyone else is suffering the same or similar symptoms.  If so, time for Administration to account for malfeasance of some sort.  If not, then individual teachers need to be looked at.

I had a quite literally Crazy Mathematics Teacher in High School.  Since she taught Advanced Algebra and Trigonometry every College Track kid in the school ended up in her classroom.  The woman was completely mental, everybody knew it, but administration would do nothing about it.  She had the opportunity over a number of years to ruin the mathematical inclinations of quite a few people.  Eventually she committed suicide.

I'm hoping that you are not dealing with a similar situation.

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

Okay guys, stop pouring the coffee on the server!!

It's not the coffee on the server that's the problem.

It's the coffee in the server that is wreaking havoc.

GEM

• Like 9

Grump is back from surgery.

The forty minute operation took over two hours.

But they said it went "smoothly".

An hour and a half longer does not sound like "smoothly".

• Like 20

6 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

No, that doesn’t sound smoothly.

Unless he regaled them with song for the first hour. Or they were waiting for an anesthesiologist.

• Like 15

22 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

"Smoothly" just means "we got it done and everything's fine." It's not an indicator of how perfect or textbook the surgery actually was. Or how OCD the surgeon was about putting in just enough stitches to make sure everything stays in place. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1