Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.

7 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Workplace attire is an interesting philosophical debate.
on one hand, there's the old guard stance that employees who dresses professionally will subconsciously behave more professionally than they would otherwise, even if it's only a little bit.  Where as a more modern opinion is that employees who are comfortable are happy and thus more productive.

I'm inclined to agree with the modern opinion. If I'm wearing a suit at work, I'm not really working 'cause I'm too concerned with not getting it dirty.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TGP said:

So many, many, people driving like Klingons today.

(...for anyone not getting the reference, Klingons will say: )

" Today is a good day to die ! "

(I blame Kahless <_< )

• Like 10
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

I make this exact face when doing eyes. I also find myself twisting into positions not unlike Echo cat (whose picture was posted earlier in this thread). :lol:

Alright, new thing for Reapercon is to take pictures of peoples' silliest intense painting faces. ::D:

1 hour ago, TGP said:

So many, many, people driving like Klingons today.

"TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO MERGE RESPONSIBLY AND USE PROPER TURN SIGNALS!!!!!!!"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 14

Just watched Jeremy of Black Magic Craft doing a video about modeling a boat from foam. In the video he made the claim that Canadians don't say "aboot". To support this, in the comments, he referenced this post on Dialect Blog. I considered responding to that post directly, because I think the thread raises several interesting issues, but he seemed a bit grumpy about the whole thing, so I decided to post some observations here.

Minor warning: there are some rather offensively parochial comments from both sides in the comments.

• There is a minority of native Canadians in the thread that claims that Canadians (some number, not necessarily a majority) have an accent that exhibits "about" as sounding like "aboot" to their (Canadian) ears. This would imply that "Canadians" do spontaneously say "aboot", even if it's not most Canadians.
  • It's very difficult for people with different accents to reliably transcribe or even hear the sounds made by people with different accents. There were a few commenters who knew and used IPA (I assume correctly). But that's not useful for the vast majority of people who might be interested. Unfortunately, any other attempt at transliteration of accent features runs into the problem that what you think you're saying clearly might not mean the same thing to a reader with a different accent or dialect.
  • Understanding how other people hear their own accent is even harder.
  • Almost nobody can reliably report things about their own dialect (whether word usage, grammar, or pronunciation). E.g., my idiolect has the cot/caught merger, but I thought for a very long time that the words sounded different when I used them. They certainly sounded different in my head, but nobody else would agree with my own perception.
  • In general, people tend toward hearing small differences in sound when close to their own accents as big ones while often hearing large differences in the accents of others as small ones. And diphthongal differences are especially prone to this. (Ask an Australian and a New Zealander whether they sound the same. Then ask a Brit or an American whether the Australian and the New Zealander sound the same. You're unlikely to get the same answer.)

The upshot of all of that is that the obvious difference you hear between the stereotypical American way of doing a Canadian accent and any real Canadian accent isn't anywhere near as obvious to most Americans. Example from the thread: "What I have heard, however, is pronunciations like 'a-beh-oot' and 'a-buh-oot'." I suspect that either of those would be heard as "aboot" by most people with an American dialect.

Similarly, the obvious difference I hear between typical British attempts at an American accent (any American accent, frankly) and any real American accent isn't obvious to most Brits. For most Americans not trained as linguists, that raised vowel version of "ou" isn't one that they have at all (or at least don't have in this context), so it gets slotted into the nearest available sound that they have and then reproduced as the familiar sound, not the real one.

Welcome to the problems of adult language/dialect acquisition.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
11 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Just found out part of why Grump's coffee tastes different than when I make it.

He adds cinammon.

Or cardamon.

Or allspice.

Or some random spice that seems like a good idea at the time.

But even when he just uses the Aeropress, it comes out better than I get.

Aeropresses BREED. You get one for yourself, next thing you know you're getting one for Mum, then Grammum and Grandpa, then your Aunt Dot, your Cousin Claire, your Uncle George.

And now Mum is getting them for other people, even at work.

Aeropress: a cheap plastic doohickey that MAKES REALLY GOOD COFFEE!

Thanks to Pingo's Husband, who informed me of the Aeropress.

For those that have not used an Aeropress before, there is a two step train of though -

1. Wow, kind of expensive for a cheap plastic doohickey.

2. Wow, reasonably priced for a device that makes such a good cup of coffee!

*EDIT* And it seems sturdy enough - we have had ours for about four years now, I think.

Then you look at the aftermarket accessories that people make for the Aeropress, and you realize some are more expensive than the widget itself. (Not joking - there's a company that makes a stainless steel body for the Aeropress. Stainless steel filters are also available. I think you could recreate almost the entire beastie with aftermarket parts, mostly in stainless steel - and spend a couple of hundred dollars doing so.)

The Auld Greump

23 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

klingonrealestate.jpg

There is an old Star Trek novel by John M. Ford where a Klingon describes an Earth drink as 'A drink for a man!' with great approval.

Ford's version of Klingons' digestive process breaks down sugars and metabolizes them very quickly, so an ice cream soda had a real kick for a Klingon....

I like his Klingons better than any other version, TV, movies, or books. He also wrote the Klingon supplement for Star Trek: the Role Playing Game. John M. Ford was one of us. (And he wrote the best Paranoia adventure - The Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues. Huge thumbs up.)

The world is less, without him.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4
11 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

There is an old Star Trek novel by John M. Ford where a Klingon describes an Earth drink as 'A drink for a man!' with great approval.

Ford's version of Klingons' digestive process breaks down sugars and metabolizes them very quickly, so an ice cream soda had a real kick for a Klingon....

I like his Klingons better than any other version, TV, movies, or books. He also wrote the Klingon supplement for Star Trek: the Role Playing Game. John M. Ford was one of us. (And he wrote the best Paranoia adventure - The Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues. Huge thumbs up.)

The world is less, without him.

The Auld Grump

My favorite Star Trek book is 'The Final Reflection' by John M. Ford which naturally is about the Klingons (and mostly from their viewpoint).

TheFinalReflection.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I am once again being trolled by the local felines.

Outside my window at several times today came something that sounded like the "I'm cold, let me in!" meow.

Glance out the window, and there's one of the local cats looking miserable as the temperature has dropped, there's a bit of snow and it's windy.

So I go round to open the door, and the cat runs off. 

I would ask the leadership of MEOW to inform their operatives that I am not averse to giving them a warm place to hang out and perhaps a meal, but this meow and dash has got to stop.

The operative has informed you that she would like you to open the window.  You have not complied with instructions. Remedial training will continue as needed.  

• Haha 13
1 hour ago, Erifnogard said:

My favorite Star Trek book is 'The Final Reflection' by John M. Ford which naturally is about the Klingons (and mostly from their viewpoint).

TheFinalReflection.jpg

His other Star Trek book was a lot of fun - not deep (Final Reflection, on the other hand, did have depth) but a lark, akin to The Trouble With Tribbles - as both the Federation and the Klingons try to influence a planet that doesn't want much to do with either of them, thank you very much. (And miscalculated in regards to both Uhura and the Klingon communications officer - they... communicated, shared data, and figured things out way ahead of schedule. Whoops, communications officers on both sides doing their job. Who'da figured?)

The other Star Trek novel I am fond of is Barbara Hambly's Ishmael - a time travel mashup of Star Trek and Here Come the Brides - with a guest appearance by Paladin from Have Gun, Will Travel. (I was proud of myself for recognizing Here Come the Brides and spotting the Paladin cameo - but missed the cameos of two of the Doctors Who, Little Joe and Hoss Cartwright, Maverick, Matt Dillon, and The Man With No Name... there were a lot of cameos in that book. And Barbara Hambly first started writing it when she was in her teens, and writing fan fiction - her editor at Pocket read it, and wanted it. :lol:)

The Auld Grump

• Like 9
12 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

So you're using the army* method of provisioning? :rolleyes:

* Every army, everywhere, throughout history. I'm convinced that the Roman legions arrived in North Africa in the 2nd Punic War kitted out for winter in northern Gaul.

No idea what you're talking about, and no I didn't hear at all about citizens raising over a million dollars to get our troops going into a desert theater something other than cadpat to wear... /purple? 

11 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Workplace attire is an interesting philosophical debate.
on one hand, there's the old guard stance that employees who dresses professionally will subconsciously behave more professionally than they would otherwise, even if it's only a little bit.  Where as a more modern opinion is that employees who are comfortable are happy and thus more productive.

When they finally, FINALLY let us wear golf shirts at work, most drivers were able to move a lot faster, because they breathe better, and don't dig into your arms and shoulders like uniform shirts do. 

They also tried to force our warehouse workers into wearing something other than their usual attire (yup, tried to force customer facing clothing on non-customer facing people)... That didn't go over well, and didn't become official at all - in fact, they were given golf shirts too, but most only wear them close to laundry day because while comfy, they sure don't beat what you enjoy wearing. 

When I worked for Sears two decades ago, I willingly left the first chance I got because I royally hated wearing a suit... 

• Like 9

Ah, internet, you never cease to astound me...

I went and Googled "Shoggoth" and "Painting" looking for inspiration for painting the Bones Shoggoth.

What I found was THIS.

Why... does that Shoggoth have breasts? :blink: (Pretty much safe for work. But Shoggoth and Breasts were not two words I ever expected to string together.)

I was looking for Shoggoth Painting for... reasons. Possibly involving The Blight.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Glitterwolf
      Welcome to Getting to Know You, NOVEMBER 2020 Edition.

The rules as they currently stand ( we all know most of you rebellious lot will ignore most of it, but one can try)

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.
      1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and post one... 
      2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
      2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)
      3. Questions are going to be posted between 8:00 hours and 12:00 hours CET. ( Central European Time)
      4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me... 
      5. You do not have to answer every question to play...
      6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why can be fun...unless TMI).
      7. Weekend questions will usually take the form of two or three day quests, starting on Friday or Saturday.

All HAIL WOOF!
    • By Lidless Eye
      To finish off the recently finished, random miniatures! (I hate creating a bunch of tiny threads)

"Heroes of Golden Sword" from Crippled God Foundry

"Life is easy, it's never hard, when you're a Kobold and a Bard"

Kobold Bard (duh) from Stonehaven Miniatures

Halfling Gardener, also from Stonehaven

Converted Foundry Argonauts, to be Dricheans for Frosgrave: Ghost Archipelago

"LET'S GET FROSTY!"

Frost Giant from Gale Force 9

• By Cyradis
      Congratulations, by opening this forum post, you have received a quest!
      This quest is a challenge created by the combined forces of @Sirithiliel the Queen Tiamacrab, a Wizard Most Wild @Pezler the Polychromatic, and myself – @Cyradis the Questgiver.
      The challenge is this! Paint a small dragon, letting the dice control the colors!
      The Rules:
      Post in the WIP Forums “_Your Pseudonym_ is taking the random rainbow dragon challenge!” or “_Your Pseudonym_ has accepted the d20 rainbow dragon quest!” something to that extent.

Select a figure from one of the following: Stormwing (from Bones III), Kryphrixis (from Bones III), Deathsleet (77110), or Ebonwrath (77102).

You must select the dragon BEFORE rolling for colors. Take a photo with the figure and a clock as proof of order of operations.  
      Roll for colors! Use a d20 and a photo, or an online dice roller with a screenshot as proof of rolling. Or have a fellow forum dweller vouch for your rolls. Use the Color Chart below to determine what the color is that you rolled. There are three rolls. Below is an online dice roller. Most keyboards have a PRT SCRN button that can take a screenshot for you. Then you can paste the photo into Paint to save. I'm sure there are better methods, but that works for me. 

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

The first roll determines what your primary base color is. That must be the dominant color on the figure.

The second roll determines your secondary color. It should be the second color that catches the eye, and second most prevalent color on the figure.

The third roll determines your miscellaneous color. This should be most of the accent colors that you use, and third most prevalent color on the figure.

You might need to order paint or go to the FLGS after rolling if you don’t have a given bottle – we’ll be patient and wait for you. If you can’t get a bottle of one of these colors, here is a spreadsheet with equivalent colors from different brands. If you really can't get them, use the closest thing you got to your rolls (let us know what they are please). 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/edit#gid=5
        Number
      Reaper #
      Color Name
      Color Description
      Fire Red
      Bright red
      Clotted Red
      Dull red
      Lava Orange
      Volcanic orange
      Orange Brown
      Dull orange
      Lemon Yellow
      Bright yellow
      Brilliant green
      Bright green
      Olive Green
      Olive dull green
      True Blue
      Bright blue
      Heather Blue
      Dull light blue
      Imperial Purple
      Deep purple
      Violet Red
      A very misnamed color; somewhere between burgundy and magenta. Not violet.
      Blush Pink
      Very pink
      Earth Brown
      Generic brown
      Terran Khaki
      Light brown
      Mint Green
      Bright pastel green
      Cloudy Grey
      Generic grey
      Marine Teal
      Teal, blueish
      Palomino Gold
      Earthy gold yellow
      Pure Black
      Super black. Critical threat!
      Pure White
      Super white. Critical threat!

You are allowed to use whatever colors to shade and highlight that you want, as long as the rolled colors are obvious visually.* Example: you can shade a red dragon with purple, brown, or black, but it must always appear as a red dragon. A white dragon shaded with grey must appear as a white dragon, not a grey dragon.   
      You are allowed to use colors outside the ones that you rolled, but they must not take up more visual surface area than any of the others.** Example: your pink, green, and gray dragon is allowed to have bone-beige teeth.  
      The proportions of color on the figure can be however you want, as long as the 1st roll is dominant, 2nd is less, 3rd is less, and anything else smaller. Example: 70% pink, 15% green, 10% gray, and 5% anything else. Or it could be 50% pink, 25% green, 15% grey, and 10% anything else. The tidbit colors are fine wherever, as long as they are minor. 
        Paint your dragon according to the rolls plus your tidbits. Even if it is outrageous. The goal is to make the dragon look as awesome as possible without the benefit of planning color themes. You can add spots, stripes, eye-spots like moths have, or nothing. This is the base challenge. 
        Star 1* You may decide after your initial three rolls to limit your shading colors to your rolled colors mixed with pure black and white. You may still use tidbit colors. Declare this if you go for a Star 1 challenge!
        Star 2** You may decide after your initial three rolls to not use colors outside of your rolled ones and shading colors (so no tidbits like beige teeth, only 3 visual colors shaded however you want). Declare this if you go for a Star 2 challenge!
        Star 3*** You may decide to do both the Star 1 and Star 2 challenges, using absolutely nothing but your three rolled colors, plus black and white for shading. If you do this, you are allowed to use the white for areas like teeth and eyes that could be really weird otherwise (or not - up to you). Effectively, you have 5 colors to work with only, and three of them must be the majority (in decreasing order of prevalence). You gotta be nuts!
        There is no time limit on this. However, if the WIP photos stop showing up at a normal rate and there’s never a Show Off thread, the forum dwellers may gently poke fun at you for adding this to your Shelf of Shame.
        Post to the Show Off forums with a “_Your Pseudonym_ has completed the random rainbow dragon challenge!” sort of title upon completion. Brag about your awesome (or hilarious) dragon. Win all the internet-points. Receive experience and praise. Thus shall end the quest.
        Once the first Random Rainbow Dragon has been completed, we will start up a group Show Off thread to compile all of the dragons in a great flock of rainbowy goodness.   
      Current WIP List (started thanks to @Evilhalfling.) 

Little Bluberry
      Sylverthorne
      Glitterwolf
      Cyradis
      Corporea
      Sirithiliel
      Morihalda
      Evilhalfling
      Guindyloo
      Maledrakh
      Eldamir
      pcktInt
      Talae
      nakos
      Kate
      midshipmaneasy
      Paradoxical Mouse
      Darsc Zacal
      vegascat
      Cranky Dog
      Auberon
      robinh
      Ulfheathen
      Phoenix Rising
      NebulousMissy
      Edsterdoom
      Ironhammer
      Thes Hunter
      Invisible Thumb
      arouark
      OneBoot
      Gadgetman
      Eldamir v2
      Ludo
      midshipmaneasy v2
      HornedTurtle
      Sophie was taken
      Crazyscribble
      Sanwah
      Inarah
      Mierot
      Xiwo Xerase
      WhiteWulfe & RuneLyall
    • By WhiteWulfe
      After seeing my first thread on it (I think it was @Glitterwolf's thread for such an honour) my first thought was pretty much "that looks like a LOT of fun", followed closely by "but I've never painted anything other than a few Space Marines!".  Yeah, well, challenge accepted, because I kind of fell in love with how Ebonwrath looks.

Yup, I'm going into this technically with very little skill in painting, but while I'm waiting for Ebonwrath (and some gnolls and paint, gnolls are the honour guard for the paint, I swear) I'll have both of the learn to paint kits to work through, and assuming everything pans out (aka assuming I filled out my Canada Post FlexDelivery stuff correctly) I'll be picking those up after work today, and then about a week and a half (ish) later Ebonwrath will be in.  Seems like a semi-insane thing to do, dive right into painting a dragon when you originally were getting paints to steadily work on your WH40k Catachans army (and Skaven, sooooo many Skaven o_O ), but I figure why not have fun with life.  Besides, what better to put all the new skills the LTPK's are designed to help you get a baseline grasp on than a gigantic dragon of cuddles DOOOOOOOM that, in my eyes at least, can be bribed with cookies.

Some say I'm insane, I say to be a good delivery driver you need just enough insanity...  Not enough to pass the entrance exams, but enough to be perfectly fine wearing shorts in -5C weather.  :P

Anyways, onto the rolls!

I wound up rolling 14, 19, and 3....  So Terran Khaki as the main, Pure Black as the secondary colour, and Lava Orange as a highlight.  Well now, that's an interesting mix in my eyes.  I'm not quite certain as to how this mix will pan out, but on the flipside I chose to dive into this headfirst, so I'm also going to give it a whirl as a full on three star challenge.  I'm actually kind of liking the sound of these colours, as I've had a number of different design possibilities come to mind already!

Obviously, given the current promo and Rictus seeming like a nice and dedicated, honourable skeleton, I had to get a few other items into the cart for free shipping (plus a free skeleton!), and for someone to keep the gnolls in check while Ebonwrath is napping away in it's blister pack.  Can't let the gnolls steal the cookies after all.  Pure Black is included in one of the Learn To Paint Kits, so I didn't add it into the order from Reaper.

Here's hoping I won't have to make too too much room in my gaming area to work on Ebonwrath ^_^;;;;; (since it's still another two months before I can get a dedicated miniatures area set up, but man am I looking forward to such!)

EDIT (Jan 7th @ 15:44 MST): Totally forgot to add this in...  For additional information regarding the rainbow dragon challenge, here's the main thread for it!
      (end edit)
    • By Inarah
      Link to original challenge: 
      I don't have any of the dragons selected for the challenge. I do have the dracolisk, https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/basilisk/latest/77379
      So I'm painting that. 

Die roll, 13, 18, 2.  Earth brown, palomino gold, clotted red.   Good colors.  I don't have the Earth or Clotted Red but can approximate. 

Baby needs a bath first. 

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)