Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.

Froggy the Great

1 minute ago, Inarah said:

Hmn.  I might have one of the old versions of him, then.  Bought it years ago when someone parted out and auctioned a boxed set. 

I know I have a copy which I painted for Warhammer *cough*mumble*cough* years ago some place. Just not sure precisely where.

Around here, nobody fielded "special characters", but he made for a decent "generic elf hero on griffon"

• Like 11

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

CBS News: Australians warned of possible deadly spider “bonanza”. 

I do not think you and I use that word the same way CBS. 

Anyone else reminded of the tarantula ranch in Duncan & Mallory?

18 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Scary thing - two years along - Dain and Sam still plan on being each other's first date.

I honestly don't think I was planning on dating anybody at that age, let alone the same person for two years before the first date.

*EDIT* Dain's birthday is next week.

The Auld Grump

Wuv, twue wuv. ::D:

Has it really been more than a year since we last watched Princess Bride?

• Like 11

On the plane!

1 & 20 to LV but with the time change it feels shorter.

Thou I think I've found my bing tv watching....watched 3 episodes of the Mandalorian today (well 4 if you count 1 at hgi).

• Like 11

5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Easier said than done.  These spammers are exploiting everything they can to make these calls.
For example, when we were first trying to get my phone extension set up, the IT guy was having problems figuring out how to let my extension in through their firewall without compromising their security.  There are hackers out there that look to gain control of these remote extensions and even servers on VoiP systems, and then use those to generate the scam calls. He was really worried about that, so it was a slow painstaking process to get everything set up correctly because he was erring on the side of caution. 

And as long as even 1-2% of the people they reach fall for these scams, it's still profitable, so they're not going to stop any time soon. 

My preferred method of dealing with scammers (when I have the time) is to use fakenamegenerator.com to act like a real "customer".  I figure that the more trash data goes into their databases, the less time they'll have to deal with real people, and the more chance the fake data will get them caught. 

I've long advocated for an identifier that lets every link on a network know that a call has been generated by an auto-dialer.

This is key to getting rid of the phone spammers.  Put a 10 cent tax on every call originating from a robo/autodialer and the spammers will have the profit motive severely impacted.

I won't say any more as this is something people might consider as treading in Beekeeper Territory, even though the intent is to address a possible solution to a real problem.

GEM

Personally, I receive about twice as many spam calls as real calls on my cell phone.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

Not sure where to go with this. 

Suicides come in clusters.  

Last week on Wednesday a 7th grader in my daughters school committed suicide.  My daughter her knew her only at a distance, they both sang in choir 2 years ago in elementary school, but there was little contact since then.  

This week a 6th grader followed the same path.  I only found out for sure today. 

I talked to my elderspawn about it last week,  checking to see if she was okay, and that she might take a closer look at her friends, and classmates to see if anyone was having an especially hard time.  but I don't know what else to do.  

I am not currently worried about her.  The sheer amount of giggling from her room yesterday morning for instance,  but this year she has had  bouts of withdrawal and depression, so I cant predict where she will be in a few months.  

I volunteer at the school occasionally,  and I gravitate to the kids that are having a harder time. Where the positive and focused attention of a dad really seems to help them. 

Earlier this month, I spent an hour with a boy doing in-school suspension, he was tiny, with a recent scar on his nose.  I asked why he was there, but dropped it when he wouldn't say.  Instead we worked on the geography - apparently I have salacious stories about nearly every country in South America, (except Ecuador, I know zilch about that place)  Every time i passed back through the office, he gave a smile or wave, and seemed hard at work on stuff he had been ignoring before I came.  Other kids I had mixed success with, or none. 

The principle, who I like and respect must be tearing her hair out.   

I am truly fortunate that both of my children seem to have my view on life and I don't think either of them has every really considered suicide as a possibility.  Not to say that they haven't had their depressed moments but neither of them consider that an alternative.

I know the whole withdrawal and depression thing though.  Went through that with both of my children.  Strong support and a loving honest and open household is about the best support anyone can give. 

I applaud your work with the school as a volunteer.  my older son does some of this as well as he is trying to work out his place in life.  There are so many kids out there who don't get the attention they need (which may be quite different from the attention they get) that it can get really frustrating.  On that note, has anyone come across a group called Game to Grow?  They had a kickstarter out recently called Critical Core and claim to be using RPGs to help kids work through social issues and situations, especially for kids with a rough time expressing their needs and feelings in real life.  I am interested in their thoughts and possibilities but, like any non-profit out for funding, there is a lot of 'testimonials' which show practically miraculous change.  While this may occasionally be possible, I would like to know the typical story.  I would think that RPGs could help with problems in real life (after all there is a reason its popular with teens) but the possibility of being able to actually use it for good and growth and to actively help kids would be amazing.

Well that went a little astray.  I think your kids are in good shape, it sounds like their responses to life in the middle school nightmare are healthy.  I really like that you can spend time helping kids through rough times, and hopefully you and others can inspire me to do more, (if my current appearance as the hunchback of the chemical engineering lab doesn't scare them off completely :)

8 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I've long advocated for an identifier that lets every link on a network know that a call has been generated by an auto-dialer.

This is key to getting rid of the phone spammers.  Put a 10 cent tax on every call originating from a robo/autodialer and the spammers will have the profit motive severely impacted.

I won't say any more as this is something people might consider as treading in Beekeeper Territory, even though the intent is to address a possible solution to a real problem.

GEM

Personally, I receive about twice as many spam calls as real calls on my cell phone.

too bad you cant put a system in to detect and disable autodialers.  I love technology but not when it actively forces people to become wary of others and communication with other people.

• Like 12

27 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

GEM

I would settle for a 1¢ tax on those callls but I like the 10¢ idea better.

How do we allow robocallers to get through that are using their powers for good? (Doctors offices calling with appt. reminders, same thing with the Bloodbank, the pharmacy calling about a prescription that is ready...etc.)

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, TGP said:

How do we allow robocallers to get through that are using their powers for good? (Doctors offices calling with appt. reminders, same thing with the Bloodbank, the pharmacy calling about a prescription that is ready...etc.)

I understand such a plan makes for a slight increase in operating costs for legitimate users.

In terms of societal good, this is a small price to pay for the benefit of getting rid of those who abuse the ~privilege~ of having access to your personal or business phone.

GEM

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, TGP said:

I'd actually prefer a 0.1 - 1¢ tax, payable in advance, on all calls and attempted calls, regardless of origin or reason. This would be insignificant* for any normal business but crippling for spammers and scammers, who rely on absurdly high volume to make money.

I'd also set up a system where a person or business could agree to accept the charge for a white-listed number (loyalty program customers, for instance, or that one nephew who always needs someone to pay his bail).

* If you initiate 1000 calls per month, the cost would be $1.00 - $10.00, while if you initiate 10,000,000 calls per month, the cost would rise to $10,000 - $100,000.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

On 1/23/2020 at 9:28 AM, kristof65 said:

I don't think that's all that unusual these days. When my family goes to McDonald's, the only one who gets a burger is my daughter. 

Once again, the reason I generally don't play video games has reared it's ugly head. 

For the last three nights I've been playing a game of Galactic Civilizations III, and for the last three nights I haven't gone to bed until 2 am or later, even though I have to be up at 6am. 

This has to stop. 

I'm doing the same thing except it's Panzer Corps and I don't have to be up until 7:30. Love these style of games ever since Panzer General back in the mid 90s. It's really cutting into my forum time wasting. ::P: I can get away with it in the winters.

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Zink said:

I'm doing the same thing except it's Panzer Corps and I don't have to be up until 7:30. Love these style of games ever since Panzer General back in the mid 90s. It's really cutting into my forum time wasting. ::P: I can get away with it in the winters.

Yeah, I played the heck out of Panzer General back when the sun was young. I assume you know that Panzer Corps 2 is slated for release in March (and looks pretty good, really).

This weekend I expect to pick up Open General, which is an open source game intended to be a replacement for PG. It's free (always a good choice), and supposedly has ... many ... scenarios.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I understand such a plan makes for a slight increase in operating costs for legitimate users.

In terms of societal good, this is a small price to pay for the benefit of getting rid of those who abuse the ~privilege~ of having access to your personal or business phone.

GEM

The unfortunate problem with any laws about robocalls is the owners of said business either are involved in making those rules or have bought someone who is.  Going further will just send me to the buzzy place and I don't have a spider with the munchies to protect me!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1